Sugar Babies
Shemales

Author Topic: Thailand ATM warning - SCB  (Read 1715 times)

Offline kuck

SCB seem to have scammed me using their shitty conversion rates even though I explicitly chose "continue without conversion". A 5% markup, costing me £30 on a withdrawal of 18,000 Thai Bats :angry:

Added SCB to blacklist. The cash machines from banks with a name starting with K seem to be fine, and I'll stick with them.

Offline Birdhunter

All the banks in Thailand charge minimum 200 baht per transaction,  so most folks withdraw larger amounts, still only 200baht not 5% of the total

Offline ZeroCount

Phew, I thought this was going to be a warning about Ass To Mouth!

Offline weldermike

If you go there often enough it may be worth opening a Thai bank account, as of last year they agencies were charging around 5000b all in.
They do the residency cert for you and take you to the bank to do the paperwork, bank card and helping set the bank app up.

Offline southcoastpunter

All the banks in Thailand charge minimum 200 baht per transaction,  so most folks withdraw larger amounts, still only 200baht not 5% of the total

i never take cash with me so always need to get it from an ATM when there and the standard charge has always been 220 Baht per cash withdrawal no matter what the amount (but i normally do 20,000 baht each time) and then my UK bank has charged a transaction fee of £1.50 per time. 

Offline kuck

i never take cash with me so always need to get it from an ATM when there and the standard charge has always been 220 Baht per cash withdrawal no matter what the amount (but i normally do 20,000 baht each time) and then my UK bank has charged a transaction fee of £1.50 per time.

I take it you get MasterCard mid market rates?
Regular banks seem to not give you a good exchange rate, and also charge a transaction fee.
I take cash, then fall back on Chase/Starling/Monzo. Chase has a £500 daily limit while the other two are really clown shows.

I happily squander money on things like ping pong balls at gogos, drinks for mamasans, etc. but get really upset if a bank tries to scam me off £5  :D

Offline kuck

Used a TTB cash machine today. I certify it 100% kosher.

Withdrew 20,000 bats was charged a 220 bat fee, but other than that exact mid market mastercard rates  :thumbsup: £440.27

Offline glg2012

You can avoid the ATM fee by withdrawing over the counter at a bank with your passport. A little bit of hassle and will probably take 10 to 15 minutes. Not all banks offer that and some will point to their ATM to try and sting you  :lol:

Offline kuck

You can avoid the ATM fee by withdrawing over the counter at a bank with your passport. A little bit of hassle and will probably take 10 to 15 minutes. Not all banks offer that and some will point to their ATM to try and sting you  :lol:

Interesting, but sounds like too much of a hassle.

Offline southcoastpunter

i agree.

Judging from your earlier comment you may not fully agree with me on this next bit, but as my trips to Thailand usually cost me between £3K and £4K, i am not too worried about a fiver here or there. For me its about convenience and ease so i can get back to doing what i went there to do!

Offline weldermike

i agree.

Judging from your earlier comment you may not fully agree with me on this next bit, but as my trips to Thailand usually cost me between £3K and £4K, i am not too worried about a fiver here or there. For me its about convenience and ease so i can get back to doing what i went there to do!
Haven’t you thought about opening a Thai bank account, make things so much easier using wise to transfer your money to the thai bank when the exchange rate is good + paying for things via the QR code is easier again.
The £100 setting it up via the agency will in time pay for its self or you could do it yourself but on holiday time is more important then money sometimes.

Offline glg2012

The 10 to 15 mins includes free aircon  :D

Anyway, hopefully useful to someone who doesn't want to fund the ATMs at 220 baht per time especially if you're not maxing out your withdrawal for 1%

I always take some cash as the money exchanges can be pretty good at 1% for quick cash (and avoiding the ATM fee). Make sure your notes are clean and crease free as they might be refused