Sugar Babies
Shemales

Author Topic: Eric Bristow Darts documentary  (Read 495 times)

Offline radioman33

External Link/Members Only
It's interesting to see how people were packing out the pubs and clubs in 1979 as they followed Eric or the crafty cockney around the country, everyone seemed to be having a great time smoking and drinking pints,he was earning a decent amount of money aswell,no political correctness either.

Offline Dickled

Haven't got round to watching it yet, but will do.
I watched the documentary about Jocky Wilson, that was sad, and the one about the rise of darts as a popular national sport.
Out of all the darts players, the one I like best is Bobby George. Comes across as a really decent geezer, with a great sense of humour, but wise with it.

Offline radioman33

I watched the documentary about Jocky Wilson, that was sad, and the one about the rise of darts as a popular national sport.
Out of all the darts players, the one I like best is Bobby George. Comes across as a really decent geezer, with a great sense of humour, but wise with it.

I think darts has always been popular,Bristow said it’s quick and easy to watch or words to that effect.Barry Hearn got it popular similar to what he did with snooker and now Luke Littler is the new star.

Offline spiralnotebook

Eric Bristow - The Crafty Cockney and Bellies and Bullseyes by Sid Waddell are both worth a read.

Offline Blackpool Rock

Watched the Bristow one and then the Jocky Wilson one came up as a recommendation so watched that too.

I remember both these players from when I was a kid and it brought back memories, also good that you could watch this stuff on normal TV rather than having to fork out an arm and a leg for Sky  :thumbsdown:

Watching Jocky knocking back the vodka and basically getting pissed every night he played reminded me of the Not the nine o'clock news sketch  :drinks:
Dead at 62 from lung problems but as Bobby George said when he shared rooms with him he'd wake up every 10 minutes through the night and smoke a fag  :scare:

Offline radioman33

Watched the Bristow one and then the Jocky Wilson one came up as a recommendation so watched that too.

I remember both these players from when I was a kid and it brought back memories, also good that you could watch this stuff on normal TV rather than having to fork out an arm and a leg for Sky  :thumbsdown:

Watching Jocky knocking back the vodka and basically getting pissed every night he played reminded me of the Not the nine o'clock news sketch  :drinks:
Dead at 62 from lung problems but as Bobby George said when he shared rooms with him he'd wake up every 10 minutes through the night and smoke a fag  :scare:

Was a good watch,Bobby George came across as a decent bloke and was obviously good friends with Jocky Wilson.He didn’t start with much and was idolised by the people in Scotland.

Online daviemac

• Forum Moderator
  • Reviews: 24
Was a good watch,Bobby George came across as a decent bloke and was obviously good friends with Jocky Wilson.He didn’t start with much and was idolised by the people in Scotland.
I saw Eric Bristow at an exhibition night years ago, quite enjoyed it, he came across as a decent bloke. Saw John Lowe another time, he was just as good.

Jocky Wilson used to live near to me but never saw him live. 

Offline radioman33

I saw Eric Bristow at an exhibition night years ago, quite enjoyed it, he came across as a decent bloke. Saw John Lowe another time, he was just as good.

Jocky Wilson used to live near to me but never saw him live.

They did a lot of travelling around to earn money by visiting clubs,anyone could have a go against them.
Jocky moved to Wallsend in 1985.John Lowe didn’t show much emotion on his face unlike the others.

Offline 8MillionDollarMan

Not really into darts but I doorstepped Bristow and Lowe at Heathrow once as they were obviously off to some exhibition match somewhere.
They couldn't have been nicer and as is often the case with perceived arrogant people Eric didn't take himself too seriously.

Offline robsmith149

Bristow used to come in our local every now and again to play cards early 2000's.

Offline Stevelondon

Played darts at pub level. Enjoyed the banter and wasn’t half bad. I’d stand well clear if you ever saw me with a dart in my hand nowadays. Actually you would probably be safer standing in front of the board. 😂

I recall Jocky being miffed when he was told beer and fags wouldn’t be allowed on the oche anymore.
(Is there a different way to spell that)
He was certainly a character.

If you watch the players nowadays. They have their own styles of throwing. But all of them will throw with a consistent arm action.  Something Jocky never had. I think the term snatch might have been applicable in his case.
Jockey probably drank most of his earnings away. But I fear he was probably taken advantage of by the people who should have been looking after him.
Sad.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2024, 07:06:21 am by Stevelondon »

Offline mr.bluesky

I always remember the episode of top of the pops when Dexys midnight runners were on singing Jackie Wilson says and they had a picture of Jockie Wilson up on the screen  :D
Don't know whether this was a genuine mistake or a gag by the band . I always remember the classic final between Bristow and Keith Deller* in 1983.
* whatever became of Keith Deller, never quite scaled the same heights after that win  :unknown:
« Last Edit: April 16, 2024, 08:54:29 am by mr.bluesky »

Offline ulstersubbie

Jocky Wilson died a recluse and pretty much penniless. As a Scot it was great to see him winning the world title (as a nation we don't exactly have many winners at any sport), but he is fondly remembered by many of us north of the border.

Offline Stevelondon

I always remember the episode of top of the pops when Dexys midnight runners were on singing Jackie Wilson says and they had a picture of Jockie Wilson up on the screen  :D
Don't know whether this was a genuine mistake or a gag by the band . I always remember the classic final between Bristow and Keith Deller* in 1983.
* whatever became of Keith Deller, never quite scaled the same heights after that win  :unknown:

I remember that. Producers of the show obviously had no clue about bands playing or the lyrics 😂

Offline radioman33

I remember that. Producers of the show obviously had no clue about bands playing or the lyrics 😂

They showed that in the documentary,I’m not really into darts but the programmers on bbc3 iplayer are interesting.Like Blackpool Rock mentioned this one followed the Bristow one.I’ve watched the Robert Maxwell one falling off his boat interesting.

Hidden Image/Members Only

Offline Blackpool Rock

They showed that in the documentary,I’m not really into darts but the programmers on bbc3 iplayer are interesting.Like Blackpool Rock mentioned this one followed the Bristow one.I’ve watched the Robert Maxwell one falling off his boat interesting.

Hidden Image/Members Only
Yeah I previously meant to post that they showed the Jocky Wilson banner while Dexy's were playing on TOTP, I remember going into school the next day and people were laughing about it but like many other we thought that was the actual lyrics  :D

It did feature on some pop quiz about 20 years ago about how someone at the BBC either didn't know the lyrics either or perhaps decided to fuck around  :rolleyes:

The fact that they didn't mention in the documentary that it was a mistake tends to indicate the documentary makers didn't know either and thought it was just a genuine sign of praise for him  :unknown:

Offline JontyR

It was actually Kevin Rowland’s idea.

Offline alabama1

Eric was hilarious on 'I'm a celebrity, get me out of here'. Naturally far funnier than the female ' professional' comedian who was on there, who's name escapes me.