Sugar Babies
Shemales

Author Topic: NHS tracing app went public today 24th September. Will you use it?  (Read 1596 times)

Offline winkywanky

Who asked you to speak? Get back in your box...

Apparently, no-one else wants to hear you speak...sunshine :cool:

Offline Spacecowb0y

I'm already using it. On my 'real' phone. From what I can see it's a well thought out App with useful functionality.

Whether it actually works well in the real world, with the Bluetooth proximity thingy remains to be seen. But what is clear is that the more people download it, the more meaningful and useful it will be.

couldn't agree more. Went for a haircut on Thursday and scanned the QR code displayed.
HOPE  i don't get notified of a covid incident, but doing my bit

Offline snaitram99

couldn't agree more. Went for a haircut on Thursday and scanned the QR code displayed.
HOPE  i don't get notified of a covid incident, but doing my bit

What would constitute a covid incident? If the hairdresser had it then it would make sense to notify everyone, but what if it was someone who was there later the same day? There doesn't seem to be a checking out facility to end the check in, all you can do I suppose is turn off the tracking.

Offline Wadebridge

I'm already using it. On my 'real' phone. From what I can see it's a well thought out App with useful functionality.
Whether it actually works well in the real world ...
I think you spoke a little bit too soon there fella.
Careful Winky, or you might be taking the 'inappropriate comment of the year award' off of Murray Walker.  :D
That would certainly be an achievement, to seize his 'Golden Egg' trophy.
But seriously the kinds of faults that are being highlighted are basic errors that you'd expect a team of software development 'experts' to find in basic test.
Never ever on a signed off for approval, released product, not even prototype version 1.0.
External Link/Members Only.
If the European countries have had similar teething issues with their similar apps, they've rightly hidden their embarrassment from leaking out into.the wider the foreign press.
Oh well, we'll just have to wait for the 'mark 2' release, with all these basic issues ironed out, in Feb 2021, or whenever.
Banned reason: Posting on politics again despite previous 7 day ban.
Banned by: daviemac

Offline winkywanky

I think you spoke a little bit too soon there fella.
Careful Winky, or you might be taking the 'inappropriate comment of the year award' off of Murray Walker.  :D
That would certainly be an achievement, to seize his 'Golden Egg' trophy.
But seriously the kinds of faults that are being highlighted are basic errors that you'd expect a team of software development 'experts' to find in basic test.
Never ever on a signed off for approval, released product, not even prototype version 1.0.
External Link/Members Only.
If the European countries have had similar teething issues with their similar apps, they've rightly hidden their embarrassment from leaking out into.the wider the foreign press.
Oh well, we'll just have to wait for the 'mark 2' release, with all these basic issues ironed out, in Feb 2021, or whenever.

Did I? Firstly, I would never admit to making an inappropriate comment, and certainly within the context of a punting review site. That would be pretty hard to do  :P  ;).

The thing is with an App, it can be tweaked and updated. Such a tweak has already been made with the Covid App, to allow people who booked a Covid test before they had the App, to log it in the App on their phone.

I have no doubt there will be other things which crop up in the future, and yes, why didn't they think of them before? But Apps are tweakable, and frankly the goalposts are moving all the time with the pandemic.

I don't know what it is about software/App developers, but there always seem to be cock-ups and omissions which a three yr-old would foresee. Or maybe the politicians/scientists writing the spec are a bit thick? Or maybe it's a case of getting a basic, functioning App online asap in the circumstances, who knows?

But I think we're better off with the App than without it. And let's not forget, the best App to fight Covid is probably one which was politically unacceptable for 'privacy reasons' (and that was hotly debated) so it's yet another case of trying to please everyone most of the time.

Offline hendrix

Offline mh

Apparently, these issues have now been acknowledged and fixed  :thumbsup:

"Well guv, you didn't put it in the spec that you wanted these particular tests tracking in the app you commissioned, but I'm sure we can fix your oversight, for a consideration...".

Offline hendrix

"Well guv, you didn't put it in the spec that you wanted these particular tests tracking in the app you commissioned, but I'm sure we can fix your oversight, for a consideration...".

Would loved to have seen the Functional Requirements doc for this one  :lol:

Offline mh

To answer the question, I would not have used the "original" proposed app that was being built from the ground up, due to the privacy and security implications, not to mention it simply wouldn't have worked (any Android or IOS app developer could tell you why Google and Apple were saying the old app as proposed simply wouldn't work).

But I am happy to install the current app having read enough about the way it works to be satisfied that it addresses those prior concerns and have installed it. I would urge everyone to install it if they can. Most phones made in the last 4 or so years should work with it fine.

Offline mh

Would loved to have seen the Functional Requirements doc for this one  :lol:

I am amused that you think there even was one. "Move fast and break things (while fleecing the public purse)", remember...

Offline donnybob

I installed it on my phone.

then had a lunch date with someone from  fab, I had to check in to the Restaurant using the QR reader on the app

The lady did not have to as we were together, although not in a bubble so to speak

I had no misgivings about doing that as the wife knew I was having lunch out after shopping.

But I can see a situation where a contact tracer rings and it turns out you were somewhere you were not supposed to be

Online RedKettle

The track and trace at venues works really well, far easier than all the alternative systems being used.

Offline kippydon

i have been using it and then got a ping at home saying someone close by may be positive, no one has been out and i working from home, so very strange