Sugar Babies
Shemales

Author Topic: Bomb Disposal  (Read 667 times)

Offline cunningman

Re: External Link/Members Only

I understand why people were evacuated etc.

Some poor squaddie had to drive the truck, through evacuated streets.  I think we should know who (s)he is, and give a clap.

Yes, probably in the job description, do as you are told in a dangerous situation.  But they also evacuated people.

Bomb disposal geeks too.

Not sure its that huge a bomb anyway - not like Tallboy or Grandslam.  Interesing that we are so cagey about 500kg of old mixture.  WTF do modern bombs do?

Online scutty brown

A half tonne blast bomb would make quite a mess, and the casing would fragment.
Designed for leveling buildings.

Offline Blackpool Rock

I used to know someone who recalled as a child living in Devon, Plymouth was heavily bombed as it was a major naval port and one evening / night everyone was stood outside looking at the sky and there was a red glow in the distance.

They asked what it was and an adult said Plymouth is on fire, Plymouth is on the South coast and they were watching from the North coast which was around 60 miles by car so probably 40 in a straight line however you have high ground in between as Dartmoor is basically in the middle so the blaze must have been massive.
They said there was just an eerie silence as people watched on only occasionally interrupted by someone condemning Hitler or saying they were going to pray for the poor souls of Plymouth

Online RandomGuy99

I suspect it was a dud. They probably used a lot of explosives to blow it up, so the public will never know if it was still a viable bomb or not.

I love the way the guy that found it only got round to reporting it on Tuesday

Offline anonymouse72

The bomb that was found in Exeter a couple of years ago and detonated in situ caused considerable damage to nearby buildings despite all of the measures in place. Many of those property owners didn't get compensation or insurance pay outs as insurers declared it an act of war. Some are still fighting cases today. The noise from that was loud enough having heard it myself. Lord only knows what it must have been like to have these things raining down on you night after night in the blitz.

Online RedKettle

I suspect it was a dud. They probably used a lot of explosives to blow it up, so the public will never know if it was still a viable bomb or not.

I love the way the guy that found it only got round to reporting it on Tuesday

An unexploded bomb is a dud by definition!!  But that relates to the fuse / triggering mechanism.  The actual explosives can still ruin your day.

Online RandomGuy99

An unexploded bomb is a dud by definition!!  But that relates to the fuse / triggering mechanism.  The actual explosives can still ruin your day.
True, but over time it degrades especially if water gets to it.

They've made no comment on what happened when they blew it up. I guess you have to treat every one of these as potentially deadly.

I think they get a lot more UXBs in Germany due to the large number of bombs dropped on their cities.

It does give you a small feel for what the people of Ukraine are going through every day. They must have unexploded ordnance lying around all over their country and no end in sight.

Online daviemac

• Forum Moderator
  • Reviews: 24
They've made no comment on what happened when they blew it up. I guess you have to treat every one of these as potentially deadly.
It was on BBC news this morning, they showed it being transported but not it being detonated at sea. They normally show the explosion, maybe there was nothing much to see with this one.

Online RandomGuy99

It was on BBC news this morning, they showed it being transported but not it being detonated at sea. They normally show the explosion, maybe there was nothing much to see with this one.
They exploded it at around 21:50 yesterday possibly because the naval base and harbour are quiet that time of night or possibly they didn't want people saying that was a lot of fuss about nothing. Even if this one was no threat, the next one they find might be so people have to follow the guidance.

Offline Squire Haggard

Our 4000lb or 1.8 ton WW2 ''Cookie'' bombs have caused several mass evacuations in Germany over the years. They were nicknamed Blockbusters by the press at the time. Its lucky that these bombs were not disturbed over the decades and went off.

''Frankfurt Orders 70,000 To Evacuate To Defuse WWII Bomb.''

External Link/Members Only

''The bomb itself, believed to have been a British one, dropped by the allies during the war, was found last month during construction work in the city of Paderborn. Authorities mobilized a clearance effort to deactivate the explosive device on Sunday, evacuating over 26,000 people within a one mile radius.''

Online daviemac

• Forum Moderator
They exploded it at around 21:50 yesterday possibly because the naval base and harbour are quiet that time of night or possibly they didn't want people saying that was a lot of fuss about nothing. Even if this one was no threat, the next one they find might be so people have to follow the guidance.
I'm not saying they didn't detonate it or it wasn't a danger, the point I was making is they didn't show the explosion on the news as they normally do so maybe it wasn't as big as expected.

Online RandomGuy99

I'm not saying they didn't detonate it or it wasn't a danger, the point I was making is they didn't show the explosion on the news as they normally do so maybe it wasn't as big as expected.
Maybe they exploded it late at night to avoid crowds forming and reducing the chance of injury?

Who knows.

Offline chrishornx

Maybe they exploded it late at night to avoid crowds forming and reducing the chance of injury?

Who knows.

it was exploded out at sea in the pitch black of night 14metres underwater so not exactly  much to see really

be difficult to show it happening so deep underwater
« Last Edit: February 24, 2024, 11:28:03 am by chrishornx »

Online daviemac

• Forum Moderator
it was exploded out at sea in the pitch black of night 14metres underwater so not exactly  much to see really

be difficult to show it happening so deep underwater
That explains why the BBC didn't show it then.   :hi:

Online scutty brown

Offline mr.bluesky

I hope the driver of the lorry transporting it had a good life insurance policy , apparently it was driven at snails pace to the docks to be put on a boat and taken out to sea for detonation. Coventry was one of the most bombed cities in WW2 due to its industry.  I'm going to be very careful when digging the garden from now on .  :scare:
« Last Edit: February 24, 2024, 12:53:50 pm by mr.bluesky »

Online scutty brown

MOD press release

I wonder how well this worked

The actions carried out today as part of the operation prompted the first ever use of the Government’s Emergency Alert system in a non-test context. Residents in Plymouth received an update to their phones warning them of the transportation of the bomb to the Torpoint Ferry slipway, along with an estimated timeframe for the movement. The system is activated in instances that may present a risk to life, where essential information can help keep the public safe.

Offline PhelTGrik

Some poor squaddie had to drive the truck, through evacuated streets.  I think we should know who (s)he is, and give a clap.

Yes, probably in the job description, do as you are told in a dangerous situation.  But they also evacuated people.

Bomb disposal geeks too.

Not sure its that huge a bomb anyway - not like Tallboy or Grandslam.  Interesing that we are so cagey about 500kg of old mixture.  WTF do modern bombs do?

The issue with a lot of UXO/UXB is the integrity of the fuse/detonator. There were some WW2 bombs that were reliant on hard impacts with the ground to activate a mechanical delay timing mechanism, some bombs used chemical fuzes like releasing an corrosive over a piece of sheet if material that fails allowing a mechanism to fire.

After that, the explosive compounds of the time weren't a million miles removed from nitroglycerin which goes bang with a small amount of shock. The stability and sensitivity of these compounds can change over time which is why we've generally moved towards 'plastics'.

300m cordon is pretty standard (seen similar cordons for finding old grenades) and it's not just the inadvertent detonation of the bomb you have to worry about but flying debris and secondary damage to infrastructure like gas mains which can be more problematic than the initial explosion.

Modern bombs can be anywhere from 250-2000lbs, we can make harder steels (for the bunker busting aspect) and improve the precision guidance to ordnance these days so we are less reliant on 10,000lb whoppers. If we need something with that kind of devastating capacity there's thermobarics (Jungle Blaster/Daisy Cutter)

Offline mr.bluesky

Did you know footballer Danny Wellbeck's dad is a bomb disposal expert, his name is Stan Wellbeck. :D
( sorry I'll get me coat )
« Last Edit: February 26, 2024, 07:02:54 am by mr.bluesky »

Offline hullad

I did a EOD course as part of my RAF duties as an armourer mainly for deaing with airfield denial weapons mainly. I did not fancy doing it one bit as they do have anti tamper devices on some. A 500 lb bomb makes the same bang now it did back then with no doubt the fuse was a dud. There are propellors on the front of bombs that push the fuse in or after so  many turns arm the weapon.  A danger with Amatol explosive is it can in certain conditions over time, can weep out into nitro glycerin, now that stuff is highly volatile at normal temperatures.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2024, 12:01:19 pm by hullad »

Offline JontyR

highly volatile at normal temperatures.
Sounds like a few people I know.

Offline spiralnotebook

There’s a sunken WW2 munitions ship in the Thames off Southend which is in a critically dangerous condition, the amount of ordinance still on board is staggering. If that lot goes off the double glazing companies will make a bomb.

Offline mr.bluesky

. If that lot goes off the double glazing companies will make a bomb.

:D very apt description

Offline hullad

There’s a sunken WW2 munitions ship in the Thames off Southend which is in a critically dangerous condition, the amount of ordinance still on board is staggering. If that lot goes off the double glazing companies will make a bomb.

The Mountgomery sank in WW2 they ship has 1,400 tons of bombs on board, these are not armed. They have no detonators in so should be OK least that's why it's been left alone. It's maybe time with our technology to remove the bombs remotely, a risk but it only takes one of these terrorist groups to work out a small device could spark a chain reaction.

Currently deemed safe, but one say soon it won't be

Online RandomGuy99

The Mountgomery sank in WW2 they ship has 1,400 tons of bombs on board, these are not armed. They have no detonators in so should be OK least that's why it's been left alone. It's maybe time with our technology to remove the bombs remotely, a risk but it only takes one of these terrorist groups to work out a small device could spark a chain reaction.

Currently deemed safe, but one say soon it won't be
There's some plan to cut the masts of this ship to stop them falling and potentially making the ship go bang.

Offline spiralnotebook

I read about it while staying long term in a Southend hotel. The report of a Tsunami reaching the Thames barrier, Canvey washed away and shattered windows as far as Chelmsford was an eye opener.  The locals were completely ambivalent.

Offline Watts.E.Dunn

There was an excellent TV series called Danger UXB starring Anthony Andrews its one some Youtube streaming sites..

Offline Jerboa

Bomb disposal geeks too.

It would of been right lads who can ride a motorbike? Ok Smudge you're driving the truck with the bomb in the back! Never volunteer.  :D