Sugar Babies
Shemales

Author Topic: Premium Bonds ?  (Read 6275 times)

Offline Squire Haggard

SFA for me this month. Their performance has been lower than whaleshit recently. They were good during the period of low interest rates, but have not improved since the rates have improved.

Offline RandomGuy99

I won £150 this month.

Their prize checker app is pretty good. It shows you the last 6 months prizes.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2023, 08:05:26 pm by RandomGuy99 »

Offline Jonestown

Only £75 for me, have to be the walk ups for me this month.

Offline Jayjay1

I have 3k in there since late 2022 won nothing but I look at opportunity cost.

What else can I get in market, saving account 3-4% or shares paying 5% dividend but capital at risk potentially.

Saving account - Would I give up 4% to have the opportunity to get £1m or even 10k 100% YES

Shares - I have a portfolio and intend to grow them but small risk (share price decline) higher dividend but not guaranteed for most stock.

My conclusion- the opportunity to win life changing money £50k + compare to few % or even doubling your investment money (share price increase) is too much to not put few K in premium bond.

Offline RandomGuy99

What else can I get in market, saving account 3-4% or shares paying 5% dividend but capital at risk potentially.

Saving account - Would I give up 4% to have the opportunity to get £1m or even 10k 100% YES

Shares - I have a portfolio and intend to grow them but small risk (share price decline) higher dividend but not guaranteed for most stock.

My conclusion- the opportunity to win life changing money £50k + compare to few % or even doubling your investment money (share price increase) is too much to not put few K in premium bond.
And winnings are tax free too if you auto-reinvest.

Offline wilbers

And winnings are tax free too if you auto-reinvest.

They are still tax free if you don't auto-invest (and some can't reinvest because they are already at the holding limit).

Offline wilbers

Just looked back, and my highest win was £1,000 over 5 years ago.  Nearly all have been £25, but with the odd £50.

Offline radioman33

Just looked back, and my highest win was £1,000 over 5 years ago.  Nearly all have been £25, but with the odd £50.

That’s decent but you’ve probably got over 10 grand in them to be getting them wins

Offline RandomGuy99

They are still tax free if you don't auto-invest (and some can't reinvest because they are already at the holding limit).
But if you pay them into a regular savings account you may end up paying income tax on the interest on your winnings.

Offline Jonestown

I have a single £1 bond that was a birthday present in 1957 which has still to cough up a single 1d in prize money, and which has probably depreciated to circa jack shit.

There is a view that to win you need to refresh your holding periodically and hold one single block of bond numbers for the best chance of winning.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2023, 10:59:36 pm by Jonestown »

Offline RandomGuy99

There is a view that to win you need to refresh your holding periodically and hold one single block of bond numbers for the best chance of winning.
Those views are not true as ERNIE doesn't actually know the bond numbers. ERNIE generated pseudo random numbers and some match with a bond number and some don't. They keep generating the pseudo random numbers until they have enough matches. See External Link/Members Only for more info.

The best way to improve odds of winning is simply to hold more bonds. The maximum you can hold is £50,000. The odds of winning are 24,000 to 1 of any one bond winning.  If you hold £50,000 you have a very good chance of winning at least one prize every month. However, it still works out better to hold you money in a decent interest paying savings account.

See External Link/Members Only for how the montkiorize fund is shared out.  The majority of the prizes are low value £25.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2023, 12:20:41 am by RandomGuy99 »

Online timsussex

It depends on your tax bracket - and other interest from savings - as prizes are tax free 
tax free 3.3% in a rock solid investment isnt bad

Offline Blackpool Rock

It depends on your tax bracket - and other interest from savings - as prizes are tax free 
tax free 3.3% in a rock solid investment isnt bad
Not so great when inflation is double digit, and let's not forget many bank and building society accounts were paying a paltry 0.25% up until recently  :thumbsdown:

Offline WARSZAWA16

Cheque received today. Won £25.

Offline kuck

Hmm. Didn't know cheques were still a thing.

Offline The_Don

Offline Jayjay1

Dont they automatically invest it back to your account.

Offline RandomGuy99

Dont they automatically invest it back to your account.
You have to choose that option. If you don't then they can do a direct transfer to your bank account or send you a check.

Offline daviemac

• Forum Moderator
  • Reviews: 24
Hmm. Didn't know cheques were still a thing.
Still on the go but you can pay them in on your banking app by photographing them.

Offline kuck

Still on the go but you can pay them in on your banking app by photographing them.

I think I used it 7 years ago or such. Some utility company had sent me cheque refund. I was impressed that the amount was credited instantly as soon as I scanned it with my bank app.

Offline Squire Haggard

Prize fund now up to 3.7%, meaning 24 extra £100k and £50k prizes up for grabs.

I might start to get better than my current lower than whaleshit return. :rolleyes:

External Link/Members Only

Online Steve2

I might start to get better than my current lower than whaleshit return. :rolleyes:

Keeping my fingers crossed but not expecting miracles  :hi:

Offline lostandfound

Presumably these larger prizes going to just a few individuals reduce the overall return for most premium bond holders?

Though I totally get the appeal of having a chance, however small, of winning a large tax free prize. (And even small ones being tax free).

Offline Bobbyplastic

I have close to the maximum there. Every few months I win over £100. Its been the best investment these past few years.

Offline RandomGuy99

I have close to the maximum there. Every few months I win over £100. Its been the best investment these past few years.

You'd probably make more in a savings account if you agreed to lock it away for 12 or 24 months. You can get 5 or 6%

Offline Bobbyplastic

You'd probably make more in a savings account if you agreed to lock it away for 12 or 24 months. You can get 5 or 6%

True, but I also had a BIG win recently. (Im not going to disclose the amount.)

Offline radioman33

Exactly the reason for not bothering with a boring 5% deal= big win possible.

Offline RandomGuy99

« Last Edit: June 30, 2023, 06:27:47 pm by RandomGuy99 »

Offline kuck

True, but I also had a BIG win recently. (Im not going to disclose the amount.)

My biggest was 1k. Since you've capitalised *big*, I put you at 50k  :sarcastic:

Offline RandomGuy99

I won £25 this month. There's always next month...

Offline Jonestown

£225 this month, making it £775 since December 22, definitely seeing an improvement.

Offline RandomGuy99

£225 this month, making it £775 since December 22, definitely seeing an improvement.
It is improving. I've won £850 since December.

Online Steve2

£150 this month, biggest win ever  :hi:

Offline Squire Haggard

£150 for me. A rare £100 prize and two of £25.

I got £150 last December, which was followed by SFA until March when I won £25. Here's hoping history doesn't repeat itself.  :(

Offline robsmith149

£50 win on max holding, poor.

Offline cmspunk

I have had the maximum amount in since near on a year, on average been winning about 150-200 a month but not won anything last 2 months.

Offline radioman33

Just announced August results:£1 mill prize =total investment was £50k(the maximum allowed)other winner had £23,700 invested for a £1 mill prize.Probably need about £15k worth to win big.

Offline RandomGuy99

Just announced August results:£1 mill prize =total investment was £50k(the maximum allowed)other winner had £23,700 invested for a £1 mill prize.Probably need about £15k worth to win big.
All bonds have the same probably of winning any prize - big or small

I have £50K in them and this month with the improved odds I won a massive £100 with a single prize.

Offline Jonestown

Offline radioman33

All bonds have the same probably of winning any prize - big or small

I have £50K in them and this month with the improved odds I won a massive £100 with a single prize.

Looking at the results a couple of people with total holdings of £15k and £16k picked up £100k.Some as low as £3k invested same,fair point.

Offline RandomGuy99

Looking at the results a couple of people with total holdings of £15k and £16k picked up £100k.Some as low as £3k invested same,fair point.
Probability even.

Offline robsmith149

Offline Darren101

Won £100 this time.

Won something every month for the past 6.  Biggest win £1K (+3 small wins bundled that month). Next biggest 500. Then little wins but some months more than one prize.

I got £30K in there though and regularly adding to it. While they say all bonds have the same odds based on what I’ve read I’m of the impression that new bonds and spread out purchases have more chance of winning, given how some people with a full holding for years, don’t win anything (with the odd lucky exception)

I found his winning occasionally, after at 5000 so kept adding

Offline RandomGuy99

Won £100 this time.

Won something every month for the past 6.  Biggest win £1K (+3 small wins bundled that month). Next biggest 500. Then little wins but some months more than one prize.

I got £30K in there though and regularly adding to it. While they say all bonds have the same odds based on what I’ve read I’m of the impression that new bonds and spread out purchases have more chance of winning, given how some people with a full holding for years, don’t win anything (with the odd lucky exception)

I found his winning occasionally, after at 5000 so kept adding
The computer system they use to do the draw knows nothing about the actual bond numbers. It generates random numbers and then they match them to bond numbers separately. Therefore there is no chance that the draw favours new bonds. However, it turns that most of the premium bonds that exist are newer bonds purely because there's been more recent interest in them. Apparently three quarters of the current bonds have been bought since 2010.

Have a read of this:

« Last Edit: August 03, 2023, 07:06:46 am by RandomGuy99 »

Offline WASA38

Won £175 this time. Have had the full £50K holding for about two years and the return overall has been about in line with expectation based on NSI's stated figures. A few months with zero but one with £500.

Martin Lewis advised that investment works out as a better bet for larger sum investors.

Offline RandomGuy99

Won £175 this time. Have had the full £50K holding for about two years and the return overall has been about in line with expectation based on NSI's stated figures. A few months with zero but one with £500.

Martin Lewis advised that investment works out as a better bet for larger sum investors.

"Even with the rate increase, Premium Bonds are likely to be beaten elsewhere

For most savers with average luck, and who don't pay tax on savings interest, normal savings are still likely to beat Premium Bonds. This is because savings pay a constant rate of interest – so if you get the top easy-access rate of 4.35%, you'd get roughly £43.50 in interest for every £1,000 saved.

Though this rate is variable, it provides more certainty than Premium Bonds, where many saving the same £1,000 would win nothing.

Many people often think "I'm likely to get the prize rate (or thereabouts) – and there's a small chance of winning a million". But the main point is that this isn't correct. You're actually likely to get quite a lot less than the prize rate of 3.7% or 4%, and there's a negligible chance of winning a million."
« Last Edit: August 03, 2023, 10:00:47 am by RandomGuy99 »

Offline Darren101

I'd be happy with 50K or 100K runner up prizes though. :D

Offline Squire Haggard

£200 for me, a big improvement. Two prizes of £100, also rare for me.