Sugar Babies
Shemales

Author Topic: Finance & Investments  (Read 2653 times)

Offline windowlicker

Consider changing platofrm every now and again too.

They often offer incentives to move. I recently got £3k from II for switching. Check the T and Cs to see how long you are tied in though.

Watch for platform fees as Hargreaves generally charge 0.4% and Fidelity 0.25%.

If you have a bigger pot move to one that charges a monthly amount as 0.4% of a large pot can be a significant amount.

Offline PepeMAGA

The key Big word in that is "IF"

As the saying goes there are 2 types of investor, firstly there are those who can't time the market and secondly there are those who don't know they can't time the market  :hi:

Obviously when I invest i'm looking to time the market  :rolleyes:  :D
I can guarantee if I sell stocks they'll continue to climb higher. If I hold on to them they are sure to tank.

Offline PepeMAGA

Consider changing platofrm every now and again too.

They often offer incentives to move. I recently got £3k from II for switching. Check the T and Cs to see how long you are tied in though.

Watch for platform fees as Hargreaves generally charge 0.4% and Fidelity 0.25%.

If you have a bigger pot move to one that charges a monthly amount as 0.4% of a large pot can be a significant amount.
I use a platform that charges a set fee per transaction. That plus the stamp duty starts me off on a small deficit, but much prefer that to an ongoing monthly fee

Online RandomGuy99

I can guarantee if I sell stocks they'll continue to climb higher. If I hold on to them they are sure to tank.
That's normally how it works for me too.

Offline Blackpool Rock

The 23/24 tax year ends on Fri 5th April so anyone who hasn't been able to decide what they are doing with their money needs to act fairly quickly if they want to secure any tax free saving / investment

One point is that many platforms will let you deposit the money without actually having to pick the investments there and then so you can take a bit more time to decide what to buy, the important thing is to get the money deposited and secure the tax free status

Offline Munter84

he important thing is to get the money deposited and secure the tax free status

Yes indeed, even a standard cash ISA will do in the short term, as you can later freely transfer it to different ISA types without it counting as "new" money.

Offline PepeMAGA

Phoenix Group looking good right now. It's gone from a 4 million deficit in the last financial year to 20 million profit this year, plus a student ong dividend (around 11%)

Offline PLeisure

The 23/24 tax year ends on Fri 5th April so anyone who hasn't been able to decide what they are doing with their money needs to act fairly quickly if they want to secure any tax free saving / investment

One point is that many platforms will let you deposit the money without actually having to pick the investments there and then so you can take a bit more time to decide what to buy, the important thing is to get the money deposited and secure the tax free status
Thanks for starting this thread, BR and to all that have contributed  :hi:
- I've found it fairly easy to understand (total newbie here) and took a close look at Fidelity before transferring some funds in earlier this week. This modest amount was doing very little in my bank's savings account so good to give it a new lease of life, so to speak.

Now need to figure out where to invest the S&S

Offline Blackpool Rock

I'm owed a tax rebate for the last tax year, anyone know how long until HMRC actually get in gear and contact me about it or is it all a bit random  :unknown:

Offline Darren101

Not had one for years so don’t remember but I assume you know from a letter in the post and not from a dodgy email/text?

If they already notified you, then, surely you’ll just get the payment at some point.

Offline robsmith149

I'm owed a tax rebate for the last tax year, anyone know how long until HMRC actually get in gear and contact me about it or is it all a bit random  :unknown:
I'm owed one too, expecting it around end of May, from memory that's about how long it took last time I had one.

Offline Blackpool Rock

I'm owed one too, expecting it around end of May, from memory that's about how long it took last time I had one.
It must be about 15 years since I had one after they fucked up my expenses and decided they were BIK rather than legitimate business expenses

End of May isn't too bad, I was worried it would be more like Autumn time though I believe they have shed even more staff so god knows  :unknown:

Offline Brummie999

Quote from: RandomGuy99 link=topic=
397904.msg4045409#msg4045409 date=1711296811
I keep seeing lots of ads for passive income stocks where you can get a nice income from the dividends paid out on the stocks.

I started investing with Freetrade stocks and shares ISA 18 months ago.
Yes I made many rookie mistakes and got stung on the meme stocks. I have moved my portfolio now to mainly UK blue chip and FTSE250 companies
Last month I got £200 worth of dividends  with more coming each month (not enough to live on but this is a long term investment)
You do need to keep your eye on the markets and do research into companies that take your eye.
It isn't a full time job but you learn from your mistakes

The most important thing about the stock market is always remember it is gambling so never invest more than you can afford to lose.

Some of companies I have just invested in and they are already in profit

Marks and Spencers
Avon Protection
ME Group
Goodwin
IQE

If anyone is tempted and wants a free share (valued between £10 to £100) and willing to deposit £50 then my link is Join me and invest with Freetrade. Get started with a free share worth £10 to £100. The probability is weighted, so more expensive shares will be rarer. T&Cs apply. Capital at risk.
External Link/Members Only

Please google Freetrade first to see it isn't a scam

Is this really a thing?

Offline PilotMan

@Brummie999

If it is and if works out, don't spend your hard earned on punting will you.  :hi:

Offline Steely Dan

i do a tax return when I am due a refund.  The refund arrives only a few weeks after the return.

Offline Andywb

@Brummie999

If you really want to make this a long term investment you should consider reinvesting the dividends rather than taking them as an income
« Last Edit: April 12, 2024, 08:50:18 am by Andywb »

Offline Blackpool Rock

@Brummie999

If you really want to make this a long term investment you should consider reinvesting the dividends rather than taking them as an income
Yes dividend reinvestment multiplies your long term return considerably

Offline Munter84

Same here, I did a miniscule bit of freelance work last tax year and decided to do the right thing and declare it. Apparently I'm now due a very welcome three figure tax rebate - enough for a couple of juicy punts. I requested a payout yesterday so will be interesting to see how long the process takes.

This was an e-form via Government Gateway, btw. I'm not sure what happens if you don't specifically request a rebate - maybe it gets held on account to offset against future tax years?

Offline Munter84

Is this really a thing?

Yes it is, I did this a while back on a mate's suggestion (I think he sent referral links to about half a dozen guys - nice little earner for him). I got one share of a company I had never heard of, and sold it as soon as I got the chance.

It's basically a promotion to attract new clients to the platform. Rather than being swayed by freebies, look at other factors including ongoing platform and trading fees, as these can vary significantly.

Offline Brummie999

I am reinvesting them until they become enough to live on.

Yes dividend reinvestment multiplies your long term return considerably

Offline Jayjay1

Am cashing out all my stocks (in profit or in red) in my ISA and dumping it into1 /2 Crypto mining stock aiming to double it minimum by end of Q3.

Anyone else looking at cryto stocks, MicroStrategy, coinbase all 2/3x past few months.

Offline Squire Haggard

Am cashing out all my stocks (in profit or in red) in my ISA and dumping it into1 /2 Crypto mining stock aiming to double it minimum by end of Q3.

Anyone else looking at cryto stocks, MicroStrategy, coinbase all 2/3x past few months.

With the Bitcoin halving 2 days away, there appears to be some profit taking in advance of the event.
IMO, one should be wary of putting all eggs into the crypto basket. How can you be certain that you can double your money by end of Q3?

External Link/Members Only

Offline Darren101

NS&I keep sending me emails about this new British Savings Bond.

Why British Savings Bonds
tick   Guaranteed returns for 3 years
tick   Save from £500 up to £1 million
tick   Your money is 100% secure, backed by HM Treasury
tick   Choose from growth or income options

Doesn’t seem great unless you need to park £1m somewhere safe.

No mention of it being tax freee son it’s not the British Business £5K ISA thing.  Where’s that gone?

Offline PepeMAGA

NS&I keep sending me emails about this new British Savings Bond.

Why British Savings Bonds
tick   Guaranteed returns for 3 years
tick   Save from £500 up to £1 million
tick   Your money is 100% secure, backed by HM Treasury
tick   Choose from growth or income options

Doesn’t seem great unless you need to park £1m somewhere safe.

No mention of it being tax freee son it’s not the British Business £5K ISA thing.  Where’s that gone?
The 3 year fix isn't bad, 4.15% but as you say not tax free.
The British shares ISA I didn't think they've worked out how it'll work yet.
Might end up being quite complicated, hopefully they'll push the complications onto the companies and banks providing the ISA

Offline Blackpool Rock

The 3 year fix isn't bad, 4.15% but as you say not tax free.
The British shares ISA I didn't think they've worked out how it'll work yet.
Might end up being quite complicated, hopefully they'll push the complications onto the companies and banks providing the ISA
Yeah by the time you pay tax on the interest you are only coming out with 3.32% as a basic rate tax payer and i'd be wanting significantly more than that over the long term for an investment

It does raise an interesting question for those invested in stocks & shares, forget about the fluctuations and up's and downs of the market, what % of annualised return do people want or realistically expect to achieve  :unknown:

My own personal target is to achieve a 10% return which i'm not at right now however from Nov 21 the market took a real downturn and only started recovering around 6 months ago, prior to the downturn I was getting just over 12% and was ecstatic with that, currently around 8% even after a very poor week last week
I'm happy with 8% at present as I see more room for an increase once interest rates start to fall as i've got a fair bit in Global Tech  :thumbsup:

The worst I saw was when covid hit and I was down to about 4% but even at the bottom it kicked the shit out of the returns i'd have got parking it in the bank for the previous 10 or 15 years  :drinks:

Offline PepeMAGA

Yeah by the time you pay tax on the interest you are only coming out with 3.32% as a basic rate tax payer and i'd be wanting significantly more than that over the long term for an investment

It does raise an interesting question for those invested in stocks & shares, forget about the fluctuations and up's and downs of the market, what % of annualised return do people want or realistically expect to achieve  :unknown:

My own personal target is to achieve a 10% return which i'm not at right now however from Nov 21 the market took a real downturn and only started recovering around 6 months ago, prior to the downturn I was getting just over 12% and was ecstatic with that, currently around 8% even after a very poor week last week
I'm happy with 8% at present as I see more room for an increase once interest rates start to fall as i've got a fair bit in Global Tech  :thumbsup:

The worst I saw was when covid hit and I was down to about 4% but even at the bottom it kicked the shit out of the returns i'd have got parking it in the bank for the previous 10 or 15 years  :drinks:
I've had substantially more than 10% return on my Rolls Royce shares so far, in as far as growth.
Ideally you want both growth and a reasonable dividend in your Isa
Though Rolls dividend should be reinstated in the next year or so

Offline Malvolio

I'll just settle for whatever the market does in the next 15 years, plus the compounding effect of reinvesting dividends.  My belief is that long-term investment in the market will always win out.

I appreciate some people enjoy trying to pick winners from individual stocks, but that's not for me.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2024, 11:18:07 pm by Malvolio »