Sugar Babies
Shemales

Author Topic: ''Urban air mobility'' with flying cars within 10 years  (Read 653 times)

Online Squire Haggard

Some motorists complain about cyclists jumping red lights. Imagine sitting at traffic lights and a car behind jumps the lights by flying overhead.  We are going to have ''Urban Air Mobility.'' according to Michael Cole. :rolleyes:  I think that insurance costs will take a leap upwards if this ever happens.  :)

Is Michael Cole a banana?

''UK streets should brace themselves for flying cars as a senior automotive chief claims they will be deployed within the next ten years.

Michael Cole, the president and chief executive of South Korean car maker Hyundai’s UK and European operations, said the technology will cut congestion and emissions.

Speaking at a conference organised by the Society of Motor Manufacturers and Traders, Cole said “we think that by the latter part of this decade certainly, urban air mobility will offer great opportunity to free up congestion in cities, to help with emissions, whether that’s intra-city mobility in the air or whether it’s even between cities.”

External Link/Members Only

Online mr.bluesky

They have been saying this for years. Can't see it happening for a long time.  :unknown:

Online lostandfound

Hyundai / Kia is a very happening company. Bought Boston Dynamics and have a stake in Rimac.

And arguably the most exciting EV this year the IONIQ 5. Their ICE vehicles aren't too shabby either; such as the i30N

Offline Trex

Driverless cars are most likely to happen then flying cars. Flying cars will be far more dangerous.

Offline standardpostage

I saw a Horse-fly the other day :)

Online lostandfound

Driverless cars are most likely to happen then flying cars. Flying cars will be far more dangerous.

Other way around IMO.

Offline PunterNumber69

Other way around IMO.
If everyone had a self driving car then it would be safe. Until then the human element gives the unpredictability.

Ground based cars will always be safer than flying ones as generally when they fail they just stop relatively safely whereas flying cars may just plummet from the sky or descend on a parachute onto whatever lies below.

Online lostandfound

If everyone had a self driving car then it would be safe. Until then the human element gives the unpredictability.

Ground based cars will always be safer than flying ones as generally when they fail they just stop relatively safely whereas flying cars may just plummet from the sky or descend on a parachute onto whatever lies below.

For the foreseeable future self driving cars are not feasible. Simple as that.

Offline PunterNumber69

For the foreseeable future self driving cars are not feasible. Simple as that.
They're already driving around Milton Keynes. Do you mean in karge numbers?

Personally, I wouldn't want one but there are people who they will provide more independence to e.g. the blind.  I might like the option to switch a car from manual to self drive so I get driven home safely if I'm over the legal limit or too tired or ill to drive e.g. Jet lagged

Online lostandfound

They're already driving around Milton Keynes. Do you mean in karge numbers?

Personally, I wouldn't want one but there are people who they will provide more independence to e.g. the blind.  I might like the option to switch a car from manual to self drive so I get driven home safely if I'm over the legal limit or too tired or ill to drive e.g. Jet lagged

Do you have a link?

We've had autonomous vehicle systems like the DLR for a long time. And we have driver assistance systems which will improve little by little.

Full self driving? Not feasible for the foreseeable future.

Offline PunterNumber69

Do you have a link?

We've had autonomous vehicle systems like the DLR for a long time. And we have driver assistance systems which will improve little by little.

Yeah, there's a self driving train at Heathrow Terminal 5 from the business parking to/from the terminal but it is on a fixed route.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2021, 08:09:12 pm by PunterNumber69 »

Offline PunterNumber69

A science project 3 years ago. Long ago shut down is it not?
It was the first in a series of tests.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2021, 08:14:26 pm by PunterNumber69 »

Online lostandfound

It was the first in a series of tests.

So what happened to Milton keynes then?  :lol:

Load of wank. Just like the cock tease "FSD" from Tesla which when challenged on by the California DMV they immediately said "Of course it's not FSD!"  :lol:

These other links you've posted are not about Full Self Driving are they? They are about an incremental improvement in driver assistance systems. Just shadowing German / EU legislation.

Offline PunterNumber69

So what happened to Milton keynes then?  :lol:

Load of wank. Just like the cock tease "FSD" from Tesla which when challenged on by the California DMV they immediately said "Of course it's not FSD!"  :lol:

These other links you've posted are not about Full Self Driving are they? They are about an incremental improvement in driver assistance systems. Just shadowing German / EU legislation.

I agree that they're only at the testing stage at the moment.

Online lostandfound

I agree that they're only at the testing stage at the moment.

It's a fairground ride!  :D

Though absolutely more advanced than the Las Vegas Convention Centre loop aka "Teslas in tunnels" - with human drivers ...

Come off it - it's a load of wank!  :lol:

Offline lillythesavage

Do you have a link?

When did you last go on the Dlr,? been driver controlled for over a year now.

Online mr.bluesky

I saw a Horse-fly the other day :)

That's nothing. I saw a house fly  :D

Offline Ali Katt

• Forum Moderator
  • Reviews: 28
Proof that if it's in the movies, it exists in real life. Chitty chitty bang bang.

Offline Watts.E.Dunn

Buggered if i want anyone flying over my gaff i reserve the right to take a pot shot at them;!)..

Offline PunterNumber69

BBC News - Flying car completes test flight between airports

I wonder what a landing looks like

Online mr.bluesky

It can only carry 2 people whose combined weight is no more than 31 stone so that rules out all the fat fuckers who use their cars just to visit the local McDonald's drive in  :D

Offline NelsonH

There is not much private flying in the UK but there is a LOT in the US.

And they have a lot of accidents, usually fatal.  And it's not just pilots, they fly into shopping malls and crash on streets and wipe out ordinary people.

They even have planes that with a parachute, that handles the whole plane, no need to jump out.

But this just engenders a careless attitude and the chutes get used at too low an altitude and they crash anyway.

They don't have pilot training that matches the skill level needed and licenses can be got with money rather than skill.

Even professional pilots under control from the ground manage to fly into each other.

And this is a country with a lot of space both on the ground and in air.

In a tiny overcrowded island like this ypu'd get a lot of accidents.

Offline Aldebaran

Several downsides to this. It would be very pricey, so a rich man's toy. You would need a pilot's licence to take it off the ground, so expensive flying lessons. It wouldn't carry a family because of the weight restrictions. Personally, I can't see it taking off ( no pun intended ).

Offline Ali Katt

• Forum Moderator
Several downsides to this. It would be very pricey, so a rich man's toy. You would need a pilot's licence to take it off the ground, so expensive flying lessons. It wouldn't carry a family because of the weight restrictions. Personally, I can't see it taking off ( no pun intended ).
Probably easier to get a pilot's license than a driving test currently.

Offline king tarzan

They have been trying for driverless cars for over 30 years.. still not fully achieved..
Flying cars scifi fantasy IMHO
Banned reason: Misogynist who gets free bookings from agencies for pos reviews.
Banned by: daviemac

Offline Ali Katt

• Forum Moderator
They have been trying for driverless cars for over 30 years.. still not fully achieved..
Flying cars scifi fantasy IMHO
If it exists in movies it probably exists in real life.

Offline king tarzan

If it exists in movies it probably exists in real life.

CGI perhaps?
Banned reason: Misogynist who gets free bookings from agencies for pos reviews.
Banned by: daviemac

Online Ahalfa Carling

Flying cars??

Some drivers have great trouble negotiating things in two dimensions - fuck knows how they would be in 3??

Imagine following a BMW car/plane - due to the lack of indicators fitted you wouldn't know if they were going to go left/right/up or down!!!

Online Squire Haggard

Someone has been testing a flying car already. He was lucky to walk away from the wreck.

Offline tantric talents

Someone has been testing a flying car already. He was lucky to walk away from the wreck.

Extraordinary and that was recorded on a dashcam!

Offline threechilliman

Flying cars??

Some drivers have great trouble negotiating things in two dimensions - fuck knows how they would be in 3??

Imagine following a BMW car/plane - due to the lack of indicators fitted you wouldn't know if they were going to go left/right/up or down!!!
That's certainly a fair point  :D

Offline george r

more chance of seeing a pig fly..

Offline stampjones

Check these out
Usually on late afternoon/early evening

Offline GingerNuts

Check these out
Usually on late afternoon/early evening

Do they have a flying car?

Offline stampjones

« Last Edit: July 30, 2021, 12:15:23 am by stampjones »

Offline Boristheboy

The actual technology to make flying cars has been around for decades now. Basically you make an aircraft with better on-the-ground handling.
What's stopping them from being everywhere isn't that they can't be invented, it's because nobody knows where to start regarding legislation for controlling them, and there's no infrastructure to support where they could take off and land. They'd need an unobstructed runway unless they were capable of vertical takeoff.
Basically, it's all the extra faff that is needed for the flying car that's the problem, not the flying car itself. A bit like how the uptake of electric vehicles is hampered by 50% of the population having no off street parking and living in towns that have two public charging points three miles from their house.