Sugar Babies
Shemales

Author Topic: Smart Meters  (Read 3807 times)

Offline JontyR

Getting lots of requests from utilities providers about getting smart meters installed.

Since I was once told by a meter reader not to get one I have always resisted. But I wonder whether that was a bit of self-preservation on their part.

Anyone with any useful insight?

Offline winkywanky

Getting lots of requests from utilities providers about getting smart meters installed.

Since I was once told by a meter reader not to get one I have always resisted. But I wonder whether that was a bit of self-preservation on their part.

Obviously he may be slightly biased, in the sense that you'd be doing him out of a job  ;)

I think early on there were compatibility and standardisation issues, I think some early adopters have now been told their Smart Meter won't work with a new provider for example.

I actually have one, the principle is sound, although I think they are to the benefit of energy companies. For instance you'd think you'd obviously be charged exactly the correct amount for the energy used at the end of the month but no, they want you on a budgetplan where you pay a fixed amount. And funnily enough you always end up in credit to them, so they have your money sitting in their bank  :rolleyes:.

Like a lot of other people, my contract ends in a few weeks and I shall almost certainly be moving providers, I'll try to remember to come back to this thread and tell you whether my meter still works.

Online daviemac

• Forum Moderator
  • Reviews: 24
They put one in my house years ago, it didn't work, if they had told me they used Vodafone I would've told them not to bother, no signal. The bloke's tablet lost internet connection as soon as he walked in.

Offline winkywanky

They put one in my house years ago, it didn't work, if they had told me they used Vodafone I would've told them not to bother, no signal. The bloke's tablet lost internet connection as soon as he walked in.

That's farcical  :rolleyes:. You kinda wonder whether there was some kind of monetary compulsion for energy companies to simply fit as many as possible, whether the damned things worked or not?

Online daviemac

• Forum Moderator

That's farcical  :rolleyes:. You kinda wonder whether there was some kind of monetary compulsion for energy companies to simply fit as many as possible, whether the damned things worked or not?
He persevered and fitted it even though he couldn't get an internet connection to make it work. I told him Vodafone doesn't work in my house, (I had to send a phone back because of it) but I suppose he would be getting paid to fit it anyway.

He did say they were going to alter them to automatically work with the carrier with the strongest signal, but that was years ago.   :unknown:

I used to have the old fashioned meter with the dials and that was easy to read, this digital one is a twat to read, the numbers aren't that clear and it's fitted low down in a cupboard, I wear varifocals so have to lie on the floor and tip my head back to see them properly.   :(

Offline winkywanky

He persevered and fitted it even though he couldn't get an internet connection to make it work. I told him Vodafone doesn't work in my house, (I had to send a phone back because of it) but I suppose he would be getting paid to fit it anyway.

He did say they were going to alter them to automatically work with the carrier with the strongest signal, but that was years ago.   :unknown:

I used to have the old fashioned meter with the dials and that was easy to read, this digital one is a twat to read, the numbers aren't that clear and it's fitted low down in a cupboard, I wear varifocals so have to lie on the floor and tip my head back to see them properly.   :(

That sounds like a right pain in the neck davie  :D

Offline Doc Holliday

Likewise. I actually left a pair of cheap reading glasses on top of the meter which I put on to read it for that reason. The meters were first generation so when I changed supplier they could not read them.

I have recently had second generation smart meters put in which I am told will overcome this change of supplier issue? However whilst the supplier has confirmed they are receiving readings, the wireless In Home Display is very temperamental and does not show any readings for Gas. Despite emails and phone calls going back a month, the promise of an engineer returning to check it has not materialised.

Offline jonnw16

Second generation (SMETS2) meters use a centrally run radio network to communicate, rather than the mobile phone networks. These are capable of remaining functional when you move supplier, unlike the first generation meters.

The energy companies are quite keen on heavy profiling of usage, the default reading upload on mine would have been every half hour, if I hadn't pushed that out to once per day.

Which? have quite a good in-depth article on smart metering.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2021, 02:28:28 pm by jonnw16 »

Offline ian cognito

Always refused to have a smart meter because they weren't compatible with Solar PV panels but my energy supplier (Octopus) tells me that SMETS2 are, so I'm getting one installed towards the end of next month.

Offline Michael48

"I used to have the old fashioned meter with the dials and that was easy to read, this digital one is a twat to read, the numbers aren't that clear and it's fitted low down in a cupboard, I wear varifocals so have to lie on the floor and tip my head back to see them properly. "

Your supplier should move ypur meter foc as long as not moving it more than 1 metre
« Last Edit: March 25, 2021, 03:44:40 pm by Michael48 »
Banned reason: No reviews in over 8 years
Banned by: 90125

Offline smiths

They are no advantage to me as I keep a close eye on my usage and want to read my meter and give them the correct reading from my own eyes. I don't trust energy companies or the smart meter process. It suits them as eventually they hope they wont have to read many meters by sending someone to knock on doors which costs them some money. However I haven't had anyone round to read my gas or electric meters that I know of for years now. The water do read my meter twice a year.

Offline Bonker

Take a photo with your phone and zoom in.

Offline tintin100

I have the latest version fitted and have no issues even after changing suppliers, they also changed my DD to a lower amount. The energy companies are getting paid by the government for putting smart meters in, also they will insist on changing to smart meters as part of the new contract with lower tariffs.

Online daviemac

• Forum Moderator
Your supplier should move ypur meter foc as long as not moving it more than 1 metre

Nothing wrong with where it is, if I had separate reading glasses I would see it perfectly. The meter reader doesn't even need to bend down very much for him to see it.

I wasn't complaining about it reading the meter twice a year isn't really an issue, if it was I would take a picture with my phone then download it to my computer and enlarge it.   :cool:

Offline spiralnotebook

I read about a disabled bloke who continually got stuck half way up the stairs on his stairlift, apparently it turned out his smart meter signal was interfering with the controls.

:D

Offline Gordon Bennett

I'm now on my 3rd smart meter in same property. What an effing racket the roll out has been. First two went "dumb" after I changed suppliers but I believe this latest one I got 18 months ago is of the generation that can talk to different suppliers.
I can forgive the first one going dumb, it was put in several years ago. But, the second one was put in only a few years ago and government must have known about the incompatability by then.

Offline myothernameis

I still have the old style of meters, and get constantly pestered by my power company, phone calls, emails, and even the odd knock on the door.   The knock on the door was the meter reader, but also asked me if I wanted to change over to a smart meter, told him no

At some point, there will be a change in the law, which I guess will force us to change over to a smart meter.  But I dont see this happening until at least 60 - 75% of the UK population has smart meters

Offline lillythesavage

I'm now on my 3rd smart meter in same property. What an effing racket the roll out has been. First two went "dumb" after I changed suppliers but I believe this latest one I got 18 months ago is of the generation that can talk to different suppliers.
I can forgive the first one going dumb, it was put in several years ago. But, the second one was put in only a few years ago and government must have known about the incompatability by then.

I think it is the suppliers who are a problem, they do not want to accept previous companies meters or work on different systems, Loads have had problems when changing suppliers which we are encouraged to do to keep prices down, the whole thing was meant to encourage price wars and be good for the consumer, as usual we have been conned.

Offline Doc Holliday

I still have the old style of meters ...

Do you have a pile of shillings next to it?  :D

Offline king tarzan

Been offered many times
Always turned them down
I still believe in a bit of old skool styleee
Banned reason: Misogynist who gets free bookings from agencies for pos reviews.
Banned by: daviemac

Offline WARSZAWA16

I remember they featured quite a lot on Watchdog a few years ago. That put me off them, although I have received letters and phone calls from my energy company urging me to get one installed.

BBC Watchdog. Smart Meters? Stupid Idea:

External Link/Members Only

Offline winkywanky

Or perhaps just a large horseshoe magnet with which to make 'adjustments'?

Offline WARSZAWA16

An old trick in various parts of the UK was to use the mould of frozen 50p pieces. When the "meter man" came to empty the meter a load of water would just cascade onto the floor.

Offline Doc Holliday

Or perhaps just a large horseshoe magnet with which to make 'adjustments'?

:D Tut Tut

Offline Blackpool Rock

An old trick in various parts of the UK was to use the mould of frozen 50p pieces. When the "meter man" came to empty the meter a load of water would just cascade onto the floor.
Not heard that before  :D

Offline pegman8

Call me a cynical old bastard if you like but do the consumers actually get any benefit form having one, or is it just for the suppliers benefit.
My provider called me and said " we are sending an engineer to you to fit a smart meter this afternoon".
My reply was " tell him not to waste his time because I don't want one."
When they become compulsory then I will have no choice, but until then no thanks.

Offline Warkboy

Smart meters aren't a stupid idea, they've just been implemented in a stupid way by our government. It's a bit unfair to blame suppliers as there are significant sticks and carrots to get them to install as many as possible. One bit of good news is that by the end of the year the majority of the first generation smart meters will no longer go dumb when you change supplier.

Offline smiths

I still have the old style of meters, and get constantly pestered by my power company, phone calls, emails, and even the odd knock on the door.   The knock on the door was the meter reader, but also asked me if I wanted to change over to a smart meter, told him no

At some point, there will be a change in the law, which I guess will force us to change over to a smart meter.  But I dont see this happening until at least 60 - 75% of the UK population has smart meters

I used to be pestered by these cunts myself but I told them to delete my contact information and though it took six weeks to do so, :rolleyes: this has worked well for me. I have a sign about cold callers so if these cunts knock they get the full treatment, they don't hang about.

I will wait until its a legal requirement to have a smart meter.

Offline Apu

I've been told by an engineer who fits them that it's a scam.

They often over charge and weighed heavily against the customer.

Just keep refusing until its a legal requirement.

I was told with my water and gas usage, getting a smart meter would treble my bills.
Banned reason: Undesirable perverted fantasist

Online daviemac

• Forum Moderator

I was told with my water and gas usage, getting a smart meter would treble my bills.
I think he's been having you on, gas and electric meter accuracy is covered by legislation. - External Link/Members Only  and have to be approved.

If you think it's inaccurate you can have it tested but if it is recording correctly you pay, if it isn't your supplier pays.

Offline David1970

Don’t know they are a scam, but I believe there have been quite a few problems of over charging ( customers who are being under charge tend not to complain).

Offline donnybob

I would love a smart meter, as it pisses me off when the wife puts the heating on, rather than a jumper, if she could see how much it cost she ( might ) reconsider

And the previous house owners had the kitchen professionally fitted and the meters are totally hidden in the far bottom cupboard

Twice they have come out to fit a smart meter and both times they have walked away as they cannot reach the fuseboard, the second guy was so pissed off he was on the phone to his boss asking to send a child as no one over 3 foot could reach the meter

They have not bothered since

Offline advent2016

Agree only go with SMETS2 but even with this how it is implemented is random.
My current provider won't share any keys to read the meter remotely where as previous provided a "guest" key pair so I could read it with a Zigbee adapter. My current provider does provide an API to their back-end that with a bit of python can get my data in near realtime so that when I turn on the kettle I can get an alert when it has boiled.

I'm quite lucky that my GF likes the apartment as cold as me and it is nice to see the form of her nipples, pity she's not a fan of facials

« Last Edit: March 26, 2021, 10:37:42 am by advent2016 »

Offline Adoniron

Guy came round to fit one a couple of years ago. As soon as he found out the boiler was in the loft he didn't want to know. I won't be bothering with one.

Online daviemac

• Forum Moderator
Guy came round to fit one a couple of years ago. As soon as he found out the boiler was in the loft he didn't want to know. I won't be bothering with one.
What has the boiler got to do with a gas or electricity meter.  :unknown:

Offline tintin100

Must a have a visual check of all gas appliances, that was what I was told. I have a Combi in the loft as well and he did check to make sure it was working.

Online daviemac

• Forum Moderator
Must a have a visual check of all gas appliances, that was what I was told. I have a Combi in the loft as well and he did check to make sure it was working.
I must've had a right cowboy then, he didn't check anything in my house, he just fitted them and told me they should be able to make them work the following year.  They still aren't BTW.

Offline conrod

I quite capable of reading a meter and so I won't be having a smart meter anytime soon.

The advantage for me is that I am in control of the information given to the energy companies.

As for the spin that they put on it that it will save energy and money is the biggest load of bollocks I have ever heard.

Offline smiths

I quite capable of reading a meter and so I won't be having a smart meter anytime soon.

The advantage for me is that I am in control of the information given to the energy companies.

As for the spin that they put on it that it will save energy and money is the biggest load of bollocks I have ever heard.

Exactly, I want to be in control of the info I give them, I certainly wouldn't save energy as I already know what gas and electric costs me and I would be hard pushed to save any more money. Also the total pisstake that's called a standing charge that isn't directly based on your usage is a set charge, that can only be brought down by changing tariff or provider for a cheaper standing charge deal all assuming the unit usage rate is the same or less than you are paying already.

Offline Adoniron

What has the boiler got to do with a gas or electricity meter.  :unknown:

I have no idea but he said he needed access to the boiler.

Online timsussex

I have no idea but he said he needed access to the boiler.

yes my boiler is out of action so he couldn't check it and left a large note on the switched off gas meter

Offline PunterNumber69

They are updating the SMETS1 meters so you will be able switch suppliers without your smart meter going dumb or change out the meter.

Offline Xtro

Tell them verbally (and in writing if you have to), to stop pestering you as you feel like you're being harrassed after already saying no.
It worked for me.   :thumbsup:

:lol:   :lol: 

Offline BobAJobMan

I loved mine (in a previous house) and never had any issues with it, but I wasn't aware at the time of the issues over incompatibility.
Banned reason: Claiming this site condones paedophilia, it doesn't

Offline standardpostage

I had a smart meter from Scottish Power.  Changed to Bulb Energy. Now its a dumb meter.

Offline Londonpunter30

My mum used to have one of the plug in ones a few years ago.  If you boiled the kettle whilst cooking it was turn into a sad face, as you were using too much electricity.  Thing was, if you needed to boil the kettle, you needed to boil the kettle.  Couldn’t really see what the point was

Online timsussex

My mum used to have one of the plug in ones a few years ago.  If you boiled the kettle whilst cooking it was turn into a sad face, as you were using too much electricity.  Thing was, if you needed to boil the kettle, you needed to boil the kettle.  Couldn’t really see what the point was

but the idea was to encourage you to put less water n the kettle, so you saw the sad face for less time

note  didn't say it was a GOOD idea

Offline Xtro

The point is, you may not be able to boil that kettle one day!

Offline Xtro

but the idea was to encourage you to put less water n the kettle, so you saw the sad face for less time

note  didn't say it was a GOOD idea

While Canary Wharf sits there lit up like a Christmas tree! 

Offline petermisc

That was what happened to me, he checked all my gas appliances.  Said my installation didn't meet current standards, so the gas supply would have to be disconnected.  I refused to let him, so he called out the gas company.

I learnt from the gas company fitters that these meter changers are paid per visit, whether they actually install a meter or not.  So they will find any excuse not to fit one, so they can get away as quick as possible.  And they only have the training and tools to change meters, they can't do anything else, like disconnect an appliance that does not meet current standards.  In my case, when the gas fires were installed, they only needed an openable window in the room, now the requirements stipulate a permanent ventilator.

My recommendation to anyone thinking of getting a smart meter is to make very sure that your gas installation meets current standards. 

My smart meters took 3 visits from meter changers, two visits from the gas board, and one visit from the electricity board.  Never again.