Sugar Babies
Shemales

Author Topic: Stirling Moss dies  (Read 758 times)

Online mr.bluesky

Sad to hear today that Stirling Moss has died at the age of 90. The greatest racing driver to have never been world champion. Drove in a era when motor racing was a far more dangerous sport than it is today.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 07:39:01 pm by mr.bluesky »

Offline David1970

Sad to hear today that Stirling Moss has died at the age of 91. The greatest racing driver to have never been world champion.

I always though he had been a multiple world champion but he was not, surprised me when they said that on the news.

Online myothernameis

And Tim Brooke Taylor, died today after getting ill with the coronavirus

Online mr.bluesky

I always though he had been a multiple world champion but he was not, surprised me when they said that on the news.

Lost the 1958 world championship by 1 point to fellow British driver Mike Hawthorn.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 07:49:19 pm by mr.bluesky »

Offline David1970

And Tim Brooke Taylor, died today after getting ill with the coronavirus

I really liked him in I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue, very funny man.

Offline David1970

Lost the 1958 world championship by 1 point to fellow British driver Mike Hawthorn.

Funny I have heard of Stirling Moss but not Mike Hawthorn who was a winner, in 50 years I wonder if it will be like that with Andy Murray and Tim Henman, one a winner and one not?

Offline Beamer

Stirling  Moss actually supported Mike Hawthorn in a dispute over his driving at a previous GP that ensured Hawthorn took the 1st position. 
RIP SM.....a true sportsman.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 07:58:58 pm by Beamer »

Offline george r

peter bonetti also, he was great in his day..

Online mr.bluesky

Funny I have heard of Stirling Moss but not Mike Hawthorn who was a winner, in 50 years I wonder if it will be like that with Andy Murray and Tim Henman, one a winner and one not?

Four times runner up in the world championship and third 3 times he also drove in many other motor sport events. A true all rounder when it came to driving cars

Offline Beamer

peter bonetti also, he was great in his day..

Quite a small man compared to today's goalkeepers but nevertheless one of the best in his day. His nickname was "The Cat".  Very popular with the other players.
RIP The Cat..........

Online daviemac

• Forum Moderator
  • Reviews: 24
Mike Hawthorn was the first UK F1 world champion in 1958.

Offline David1970

Mike Hawthorn was the first UK F1 world champion in 1958.

I am shocked I have never heard of him, I know Jim Clark, Jackie Stewart, Nigel Mansell, Damian Hill, and Lewis Hamilton.
I find it strange that Mike Hawthorn the winner was less know as Stirling Moss by the general public.

Online daviemac

• Forum Moderator
I am shocked I have never heard of him, I know Jim Clark, Jackie Stewart, Nigel Mansell, Damian Hill, and Lewis Hamilton.
I find it strange that Mike Hawthorn the winner was less know as Stirling Moss by the general public.
Have you heard of John Surtees, another Brit, he's the only bloke to have been world champion on 2 and 4 wheels. 500cc motorcycle world champion 1956 / 58 / 59 and 1960. F1 world champion 1964.

Offline David1970

Have you heard of John Surtees, another Brit, he's the only bloke to have been world champion on 2 and 4 wheels. 500cc motorcycle world champion 1956 / 58 / 59 and 1960. F1 world champion 1964.
. No never heard of him

Offline Beamer

What about James Hunt? ?

Online mr.bluesky

An achievement never likely to be equalled or beaten

Offline Beamer

An achievement never likely to be equalled or beaten

Absolutely agree,  he was a one off and having met him very briefly also a gentleman.

Offline winkywanky

I really liked him in I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue, very funny man.

Yes, alongside Graeme Garden, Barry Cryer and Humph, a very formidable comedy team indeed.

Offline winkywanky

Stirling  Moss actually supported Mike Hawthorn in a dispute over his driving at a previous GP that ensured Hawthorn took the 1st position. 
RIP SM.....a true sportsman.

Wow, you couldn't imagine that happening these days (although to be fair that's probably more to do with the teams and the huge amounts of money at stake).

Offline winkywanky

Sad to hear today that Stirling Moss has died at the age of 90. The greatest racing driver to have never been world champion. Drove in a era when motor racing was a far more dangerous sport than it is today.

Real Boys' Own stuff, where half the drivers were lucky to get out alive.

He'd been ill for some time apparently  :(.

Online daviemac

• Forum Moderator
What about James Hunt? ?
World champion 1976, died aged 45 in 1993. Proper playboy type. His biggest rival was Niki Lauda, some great races between those two.

Offline Beamer

World champion 1976, died aged 45 in 1993. Proper playboy type. His biggest rival was Niki Lauda, some great races between those two.

A real swashbuckling style.  I didn't realise he died 27 years ago.

Online daviemac

• Forum Moderator
A real swashbuckling style.  I didn't realise he died 27 years ago.
Yeah, only 45 as well. Niki Lauda did a lot better, he died May last year aged 70, still not a fantastic age though. 

Online timsussex

Yeah, only 45 as well. Niki Lauda did a lot better, he died May last year aged 70, still not a fantastic age though.

come on if anyone was on borrowed time its Lauda. He really should have died in that 1976 fire.

For anyone who didn't see it, thats not meant in a nasty way; its incredible that he survived it. He was even given the last rites in hospital

External Link/Members Only

He was back 6 weeks later having missed 2 races ! thats mega cojones or stupidity its a very fine line

Offline Charlie Chalk

Hawthorn did in a road accident on the Guildford bypass in January 1959, just a few months after announcing his retirement. Whereas Moss raced on for another 3 years and then had another half century of being “Stirling Moss”. This might explain why Hawthorn is relatively unknown to the public at large.

Back OT, Sir Stirling was one of the greats and properly Old School in that winning the right way was as important as winning itself.

Offline MilleMiglia

Offline JimmySW

I met and chatted to John Surtees at the Festival of Speed, lovely man and happy to chat to anyone!

Online mr.bluesky

The story of that rivalry was made into the film "Rush" by Ron Howard.  In my opinion the best film made about motor racing.  Worth watching even if your not a motor racing fan  :hi:

Online daviemac

• Forum Moderator
The story of that rivalry was made into the film "Rush" by Ron Howard.  In my opinion the best film made about motor racing.  Worth watching even if your not a motor racing fan  :hi:
That's one I haven't seen, I'n not a great film fan but I think I'll make an exception and find that one with nothing much else to do.

Offline freeze44

Yeah top film  :thumbsup: Hunt the shunt- what a character and pretty touching at the end about how hunt and lauda, such different characters, became so close.

Offline ratedj

I would also suggest watching this BBC documentary which does an excellent job of portraying both driver's diverging personalites as well as the pre-health and safety F1 era. This was the rilvary that helped take F1 mainstream.

Online Malvolio

Found out that Stirling Moss won over 40% of races he took part in (not just F1, but all sorts) - that is an incredible stat given the chances in motor racing of your car having a mechanical failure or another car taking you out.

Online timsussex

Found out that Stirling Moss won over 40% of races he took part in (not just F1, but all sorts) - that is an incredible stat given the chances in motor racing of your car having a mechanical failure or another car taking you out.
Especially in that era when often only half the cars finished

Offline Chorley

This video goes a long way to explaining why he is so revered in motorsports circles, despite never having been an F1 champion.
Simply epic stuff.  :thumbsup:

Offline Davey Dykes

Think you've got the wrong vid there fella, that's about an 02 series BMW.

Offline Chorley

Think you've got the wrong vid there fella, that's about an 02 series BMW.
No idea what you're looking at., but that link is the correct one.

Offline Davey Dykes

Well I've checked it again and it's about an orange BMW 02 with this below the film.

How to Build Your Dream Car
2,656,902 views•24 Nov 2015

What's everyone else getting?  :unknown:

Online daviemac

• Forum Moderator
I'm getting -

The Ferrari 330 P4 is One Sexy Beast    :unknown:

Edit

There's this further down the playlist

External Link/Members Only     Sir Stirling Moss and this Mercedes-Benz 300 SLR Remain Unbeaten
« Last Edit: April 13, 2020, 07:43:39 pm by daviemac »

Offline Davey Dykes

This was part of a series from a few years back, remember enjoying the whole series not just this episode.

Offline Bogof60

Yeah

Great Film  :thumbsup:
Banned reason: Abuse of a mod.
Banned by: daviemac

Offline Chorley

I'm getting -

The Ferrari 330 P4 is One Sexy Beast    :unknown:

Edit

There's this further down the playlist

External Link/Members Only     Sir Stirling Moss and this Mercedes-Benz 300 SLR Remain Unbeaten
That's the one. The Mille Miliga documentary. My link goes straight to it.  :unknown:

Offline ratedj

Well I've checked it again and it's about an orange BMW 02 with this below the film.

How to Build Your Dream Car
2,656,902 views•24 Nov 2015

What's everyone else getting?  :unknown:

I also get this  :unknown:

Offline Chorley

Right, I've copied the link again. If it doesn't nt work then fuck knows.  :unknown: :dash:

Online daviemac

• Forum Moderator
That's the one. The Mille Miliga documentary. My link goes straight to it.  :unknown:
The link you posted takes me to the top of the playlist.  Strange.   :unknown:

Offline winkywanky

Perhaps previous your previous preferences come to the top for you personally when you search Youtube, or click on a Youtube link?

Offline Chorley

Perhaps previous your previous preferences come to the top for you personally when you search Youtube, or click on a Youtube link?
Possibly, as I've watched that video so many times.

Offline winkywanky

I shan't be telling you what comes to the top of my list  :P  :D.

Offline Chorley

I shan't be telling you what comes to the top of my list  :P  :D.
Oh go on.  :yahoo:

Offline winkywanky

Not what you're thinking, they don't show that type of thing on Youtube  :lol:.

Offline Chorley

Not what you're thinking, they don't show that type of thing on Youtube  :lol:.
Course not. Give us a link anyway.  :cool: