Sugar Babies
Shemales

Author Topic: Autocensor of words such as Pro$sie  (Read 6304 times)

Offline lewisjones23

I tend to use WG but it baffled me why the change was made and struck me as a bit snowflake’ish that a mod/admin (whoever it was, I cant remember) would get offended by a word

Surely after all their time on here, assuming it is an established member, they’d have hardened up a bit to words on a screen from in the most part complete strangers

Offline winkywanky

I tend to use WG but it baffled me why the change was made and struck me as a bit snowflake’ish that a mod/admin (whoever it was, I cant remember) would get offended by a word

Surely after all their time on here, assuming it is an established member, they’d have hardened up a bit to words on a screen from in the most part complete strangers

I may be wrong, but I think it might be more a case of Head1 never having actually liked the term(s) when he was just a member like the rest of us, and when he subsequently took over he could actually remove the term(s) as per his liking. His site now, and that's fair enough.

Offline Kev40ish

• Board Moderator
  • Reviews: 24

I may be wrong, but I think it might be more a case of Head1 never having actually liked the term(s) when he was just a member like the rest of us, and when he subsequently took over he could actually remove the term(s) as per his liking. His site now, and that's fair enough.

Head1 has never commented on it.
It was Up the Manor (Admin) that said he didn’t like it and made the changes..

Offline winkywanky

I stand corrected  :hi:.

Of course for obvious reasons the 'management/ownership' of the site is rather secretive. Perhaps they are one and the same? Or perhaps they aren't. Either way, I should imagine Head1 was across this and in tune with it.

Offline Kev40ish

• Board Moderator
I stand corrected  :hi:.

Of course for obvious reasons the 'management/ownership' of the site is rather secretive. Perhaps they are one and the same? Or perhaps they aren't. Either way, I should imagine Head1 was across this and in tune with it.

They are definitely 3 separate people, but like you say I presume Head1 is comfortable with the change, so good enough for me..

Offline lewisjones23

still baffles me how someone can get upset about words on the internet from complete strangers describing other strangers

Offline cotton

As marmalade observed it is an idiosyncratic decision and the retroactive rewriting of posts is a strange and inauspicious development.
Obviously with the change of ownership people are sensitised about the implications for the site , will it become fluffy or monetised etc etc and the P-word hubub reflects these concerns.
The new owners naturally bring their own egos and idiosyncrasies with them , you probably need to be a bit idiosyncratic to take on running a hooker forum , however the important thing is the underlying ethos of the site continues and other than the one word issue theres nothing overtly to suggest otherwise atm , indeed Up The Manor has stated he is not Fluffy , as Happyjose said nobody wants to see a good contributor get banned over this so best not overeact , but at the same time bare in mind that the P-word does illustrate that anythings possible.

Offline Happyjose

As marmalade observed it is an idiosyncratic decision and the retroactive rewriting of posts is a strange and inauspicious development.
Obviously with the change of ownership people are sensitised about the implications for the site , will it become fluffy or monetised etc etc and the P-word hubub reflects these concerns.
The new owners naturally bring their own egos and idiosyncrasies with them , you probably need to be a bit idiosyncratic to take on running a hooker forum , however the important thing is the underlying ethos of the site continues and other than the one word issue theres nothing overtly to suggest otherwise atm , indeed Up The Manor has stated he is not Fluffy , as Happyjose said nobody wants to see a good contributor get banned over this so best not overeact , but at the same time bare in mind that the P-word does illustrate that anythings possible.

Well, I'm all about the evidence, rather than unfounded whispers

From what I see, there's been no mass bannings (in fact, I suspect the number of bannings has actually declined since the changeover), and no fundamental change in the culture of the site. In fact no real measurable change

Apart from the one word, the management seem to be taking a low key approach to censorship - showing reluctance to lock threads, and giving a degree of latitude to members who have pushed the boundaries

From the evidence I see the site seems to be in safe hands

Offline smiths

From what I see, there's been no mass bannings (in fact, I suspect the number of bannings has actually declined since the changeover), and no fundamental change in the culture of the site. In fact no real measurable change

Apart from the one word, the management seem to be taking a low key approach to censorship - showing reluctance to lock threads, and giving a degree of latitude to members who have pushed the boundaries

As it stands at present you are absolutely correct in my view. Head1, the other admins and the 3 mods are doing a great job so far from my observations.

Offline lewisjones23

I agree with all that but it makes the whole episode even stranger in my eyes, the word isnt even that offensive

Offline Happyjose

I agree with all that but it makes the whole episode even stranger in my eyes, the word isnt even that offensive

I would tend to take it at face value. One of the new team finds it offensive

It also demonstrates there's a new sheriff in town

Very effectively from what we see

Offline Jonestown

.................the word isnt even that offensive

No indeed, its almost a term of endearment compared to the word it comes from and most of the other words available, but it does have a cheap, downmarket ring to it, if I was a woman I wouldn't want to be called it.

Offline snaitram99

I agree the banned word does not seem that offensive. One of the new Admins finds it so. I have no idea why but I can live with it. Oddly though, I was looking through my own old posts trying to find something and found that the Sex Worker auto correction had been applied where I thought I had used the word prostitute, not the banned slang shortening/term of endearment. Of course my memory may be at fault. If I did change to use the banned P-rosy word it would have been because it sounded to me more friendly.

Offline Xtro

No indeed, its almost a term of endearment compared to the word it comes from and most of the other words available, but it does have a cheap, downmarket ring to it, if I was a woman I wouldn't want to be called it.

I wouldn't give a toss what I was called as long as I was able to bleed all you male wankers @ £100+ ph....    :D

Offline hungrypunt

If you look at it from a web dev perspective and SEO, the replacing the term we are all talking about with the $$ signs, with Sex Worker then it makes sense.

People dont type into google we are all talking about with the $$ signs they type prostitute, sex worker, adult worker etc. SO from that stance it make pure sense.

Admin has probably got pissed off with all the chatter and maybe doesnt feel he/she has to justify himself to all the theorys. (including this one ha ah)

« Last Edit: August 17, 2019, 08:08:42 pm by hungrypunt »

Offline Xtro

If you look at it from a web dev perspective and SEO, the replacing the term we are all talking about with the $$ signs, with Sex Worker then it makes sense.

People dont type into google we are all talking about with the $$ signs they type prostitute, sex worker, adult worker etc. SO from that stance it make pure sense.

Admin has probably got pissed off with all the chatter and maybe doesnt feel he/she has to justify himself to all the theorys. (including this one ha ah)

Thinking outside the box...... I like it.  :thumbsup:

Offline mrfishyfoo

I tend to pick fights which are important, the censorship of an abbreviation is a minor annoyance as opposed to a major issue. I don't doubt you have a wide enough vocabulary to insult some uppity prostitute and suggest she puts her mouth and fingers to better use than insulting her customer base.

I imagine finding deep meaningful insults would be more enjoyable than in the long run which might make admin wish he hadn't banned such a trivial word.

As a final thought not all rules are written.

Indeed....I don't like the word WHORE but WHORE it is till I'm told otherwise.  :hi: :hi:

Offline snaitram99

It's not just the version with dollar signs, also the plain double s version. Admin Up the Manor explained that he finds it offensive. Many don't. As I said I can live with it. Maybe for some reason it's more offensive in Oxford. (Work that one out for yourself).

If you really want you can easily find creative ways round it without going to Marmalade's extreme of finding a Greek letter that looks the same.

btw the plural of theory is theories. 😀
« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 04:49:37 pm by snaitram99 »

Offline hungrypunt

If you really want you can easily find creative ways round it without going to Marmalade's extreme of finding a Greek letter that looks the same.
It really doesnt worry me to that extent, I can live with all other forms

Offline GingerNuts

Being creative got Marmalade threatened with a ban so try it yourself first and see how you get on.

Online daviemac

• Board Moderator

Can I ask you why you would want to push your luck in such a manner??

As a member it's no hardship to me to avoid one word when posting. There's lots of rules and regulations in life that I see as pointless and unnecessary but, in the main, they have to be adhered to.

Offline snaitram99

I don't, which is why I avoided trying any such creative methods in my post.

Online finn5555

As a member it's no hardship to me to avoid one word when posting. There's lots of rules and regulations in life that I see as pointless and unnecessary but, in the main, they have to be adhered to.

Good post I always used the word but recognise the new owner, for whatever reason, doesn't like it. Seeing as this is his site he dictates the rules and we either abide by these or fuck off!

:hi:

Online daviemac

• Board Moderator
I don't, which is why I avoided trying any such creative methods in my post.

In your post you said - "If you really want you can easily find creative ways round it" which suggest you know easy ways to circumvent the auto sensor and that they are easily found.

Why did you feel the need to point out there are ways round it in the first place.   :unknown:

Offline smiths

Good post I always used the word but recognise the new owner, for whatever reason, doesn't like it. Seeing as this is his site he dictates the rules and we either abide by these or fuck off!

Indeed though its not the owner Head1 who posted he didn't like the word, it was one of the admin staff, Up The Manor who posted he didn't like the word. Well its their site so they can exclude any words they choose to, so far its been 1 word. And a word I didn't use anyway, as I use WG and always have done.

Offline snaitram99

Indeed though its not the owner Head1 who posted he didn't like the word, it was one of the admin staff, Up The Manor who posted he didn't like the word. Well its their site so they can exclude any words they choose to, so far its been 1 word. And a word I didn't use anyway, as I use WG and always have done.

I only ever used the banned word as what I thought of as a less stark word than prostitute, which I think we can still use. Having been chastised by a Mod I will now crawl back into my shell.  :cry:

Offline NIK

So UKP falls into line with the wider world where you can't say fuck all without offending some thin skinned meddling cunt. As Marmalade said this site was created to avoid all that politically correct bollocks such as 'sex worker.'
It may only be a word, but language is important, as Orwell so often insisted - it it wasn't there wouldn't be such censorship of free speech in the so called enlightened liberal modern world.
Ironically they can say fuck, cunt, etc on telly after the watershed to their hearts content. Language that would have been considered totally taboo when I was a kid. I suppose they have to compensate when you can't even use the term coloured unless you change the adjective to a noun phrase, then for some reason no one can fathom or explain, its acceptable.   :wacko:

Prossy may be only a word but such censorship is the thin end of the wedge.
Mark my words this forum will be unrecognisable by its tenth anniversary.

Offline Beamer

So UKP falls into line with the wider world where you can't say fuck all without offending some thin skinned meddling cunt. As Marmalade said this site was created to avoid all that politically correct bollocks such as 'sex worker.'
It may only be a word, but language is important, as Orwell so often insisted - it it wasn't there wouldn't be such censorship of free speech in the so called enlightened liberal modern world.
Ironically they can say fuck, cunt, etc on telly after the watershed to their hearts content. Language that would have been considered totally taboo when I was a kid. I suppose they have to compensate when you can't even use the term coloured unless you change the adjective to a noun phrase, then for some reason no one can fathom or explain, its acceptable.   :wacko:

Times change.
Standards change.
............... along with the ownership.
Like most life choices, the options are obvious. You either accept the new set up or you don't.

From my relatively short experience of this site before the recent changes, both prior to and since the new ownership, it was two businesses that in many cases demonstrated no obvious link or commonality. 

One was a forum where sometimes extreme positions were argued back and forth.  This had little to do with the exchange of information on WG's and FBSM providers.
IMO it was like all the other "extreme view websites" supporting specific or non specific issues, generally of interest to a minority. 

The other, which I am sure was the fulcrum for the growth of the website, was an amazing increase in reviews providing punters, in the main, helpful  information about WG's and FBSM providers.

Both old and new owners had reasons for taking their chosen route. It is clear from comments I have seen that change is difficult for many.

But, the world and life move on and from what I have seen the changes do not adversely affect one jot the excellent source of information available here for punters.

I wish the new owners continuing success.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 01:14:03 pm by Beamer »

Offline Rochelle

• Service Provider
Not sure why some are so bothered about being told not to use one little word. Nothing much has changed. Like so many of you always say, if you don't like it then leave. It's not a big deal. There are other words that can be used instead, other words that are actually more offensive. Yes, I see the irony but that's not the point. The point is someone in charge doesn't want that word to be used and I don't see any other restrictions in place. Grow up.
:rolleyes:
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 02:49:35 pm by Rochelle »

Offline Jonestown

The point is someone in charge doesn't want that word to be used and I don't see any other restrictions in place. Grow up.
:rolleyes:

Yes, Mistress  :(

Offline NelsonH

How come Niks post didn't get changed?

Is it because he used a "y" on the end?

This really is a ridiculous business.

Offline Kev40ish

• Board Moderator

Prossy presumably isn’t a banned word, as nobody spells it like that and nobody uses it..

Offline Rochelle

• Service Provider

It wasn't changed because he deliberately spelt it that way to get around it...very childish.

Offline hungrypunt

It wasn't changed because he deliberately spelt it that way to get around it...very childish.
How do you know he didnt spell it that way because that isnt a banned variation ?

Your assumptions are also very childish

Offline Kev40ish

• Board Moderator

I suppose if you started the site and feel concerned about it’s future, you can excuse his frustration at censorship.

It may be posted in a fit of pique. You calling him childish is a bit disprepectful, I’m sure Nik knew what he was saying.

But remember you wouldn’t be on this site if it wasn’t for him..

Offline Rochelle

• Service Provider
I suppose if you started the site and feel concerned about it’s future, you can excuse his frustration at censorship.

It may be posted in a fit of pique. You calling him childish is a bit disprepectful, I’m sure Nik knew what he was saying.

I'm not being disrespectful at all. He's just another person. He started the site many years ago, and? Yes, I'm glad there is a site but he no longer owns it or runs it.
Anyway, all I'm saying is there haven't even been any significant changes. People need to chill.
That's my view and that's where I'll leave it. Cheers.

Offline hungrypunt

People need to chill.

Calling people childish isn't the best way to get them to chill  :thumbsdown: so yeah leaving it is your best option I'd say.

Offline Moby Dick

Calling people childish isn't the best way to get them to chill  :thumbsdown: so yeah leaving it is your best option I'd say.
Yeah let’s put her on the naughty step.

Offline Steve2

It's only a word Nik , not the end of the world. Get some therapy  :hi:

Online finn5555

The bottom line is Nik like his old mucker JRC is a dinosaur people like them don’t like change (other than pension increases)  :rolleyes:

Offline NIK

The bottom line is Nik like his old mucker JRC is a dinosaur people like them don’t like change (other than pension increases)  :rolleyes:

About what I expect from you.
By the time you stop calling me a pensioner I wii be one.  :dash:

Offline NIK

If you check back I have always spelled it like that because as far as I am concerned that is the correct way.

Offline NIK

Yes, mate, there seem to be dozens who have conveniently forgotten that these past few years such as dickhead above who keeps calling me a pensioner.
Occasionally I wish I hadn’t started UKP or that I still owned it, but don’t have these feelings very often.
On a serious note I do hope our original ideals aren’t betrayed.
Hopefully those saying it’s only a word will still be able to say that on the tenth anniversary.

Offline Kev40ish

• Board Moderator
Yes, mate, there seem to be dozens who have conveniently forgotten that these past few years such as dickhead above who keeps calling me a pensioner.
Occasionally I wish I hadn’t started UKP or that I still owned it, but don’t have these feelings very often.
On a serious note I do hope our original ideals aren’t betrayed.
Hopefully those saying it’s only a word will still be able to say that on the tenth anniversary.

Alas don’t think I’ll be seeing that anyway, but do appreciate your efforts in bringing the site that has helped me out and entertained me so much

Offline winkywanky

Alas don’t think I’ll be seeing that anyway, but do appreciate your efforts in bringing the site that has helped me out and entertained me so much

Kev, I look forward to seeing your moniker changing to Kev50ish at the appropriate point ;).

Offline Kev40ish

• Board Moderator

Kev, I look forward to seeing your moniker changing to Kev50ish at the appropriate point ;).

I should have changed it a few years ago  :lol:

Offline winkywanky

I should have changed it a few years ago  :lol:

...oh FFS, you know what I mean! You men and your vanity!  :rolleyes:  :D

Offline Kev40ish

• Board Moderator

...oh FFS, you know what I mean! You men and your vanity!  :rolleyes:  :D

😂😂 thank you  :hi: hopefully I’ll be back posting on Friday  :unknown:

Offline Jonestown

😂😂 thank you  :hi: hopefully I’ll be back posting on Friday  :unknown:

Good Luck  :thumbsup: