Sugar Babies
Shemales

Author Topic: Daftest cycling stunt yet?  (Read 669 times)

Offline Aldebaran

Fortunately, this won't affect me as I don't live in London, but what are they hoping to achieve? All they will do IMO is drive an even deeper wedge between motorists and cyclists by riding around for a few days on bikes that are now impossible to overtake because of the frame. It certainly won't influence anyone to ditch their car and buy a bike.

External Link/Members Only

Offline PumpDump

The headline is misleading and should be "Private company trying to make money from renting out e-scooters carries out cheap publicity stunt".

Offline Sha99er

Self centered, shallow assholes who have a mega chip on they're shoulders.

Offline Gordon Bennett

That doesn't make sense. Cyclist will be stuck in queues/jams unable to squeeze down the inside.... completely defeats the point of riding a bike.

Online mr.bluesky

That doesn't make sense. Cyclist will be stuck in queues/jams unable to squeeze down the inside.... completely defeats the point of riding a bike.

Not forgetting going over the traffic lights on red.

Online RedKettle

It is a stunt to make a point not a suggested way to cycle around. They are saying cars take up too much space just to move 1 person around.

I am not defending it, it is a stupid stunt!

Online RedKettle

Not forgetting going over the traffic lights on red.

Yep because every car driver is a paragon of virtue and never breaks the law. That is why there are never any speeding tickets issued to motorists, ever.

People in glass houses……..

Online mr.bluesky

Yep because every car driver is a paragon of virtue and never breaks the law. That is why there are never any speeding tickets issued to motorists, ever.

People in glass houses……..

The highway code applies to all road users not just car drivers something a lot of cyclists forget. ( and I'm a cyclist as well as a car driver)

Online RedKettle

The highway code applies to all road users not just car drivers something a lot of cyclists forget. ( and I'm a cyclist as well as a car driver)

I am also both and get annoyed at cyclists who jump red lights etc. But I also see lots of terrible driving and many drivers seem to forget that when having a go at cyclists.

Offline PumpDump

Guys, did you even read the story? This is nothing to do with cyclists. This is a publicity stunt by a company who rent out e-scooters. Cyclists are not trying to make any point!

Offline theHappyLondonPigeon

The “I’m a cyclist” is such an absolute tired stereotype that I’m surprised people still, without irony, use it to try to lightly cover their cyclist bashing.

The last time I checked, speeding, running amber lights, rushing through on just tuned red, using a mobile phone in any way, close passing, overtaking on blind corners were all against the Highway Code.

I don’t think there’s much argument that these things are not common and when combined with driving several tonnes of metal at reasonable speeds result in real consequences for the driver and other innocent road users.

Yet you choose to single out cyclists for your metaphorical finger wagging, the group that most probably represents the least risk to anyone else on the road.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2022, 09:02:48 am by theHappyLondonPigeon »

Online mr.bluesky

The “I’m a cyclist” is such an absolute tired stereotype that I’m surprised people still, without irony, use it to try to lightly cover their cyclist bashing.

The last time I checked, speeding, running amber lights, rushing through on just tuned red, using a mobile phone in any way, close passing, overtaking on blind corners were all against the Highway Code.

I don’t think there’s much argument that these things are not common and when combined with driving several tonnes of metal at reasonable speeds result in real consequences for the driver and other innocent road users.

Yet you choose to single out cyclists for your metaphorical finger wagging, the group that most probably represents the least risk to anyone else on the road.

True there are a lot of bad drivers on the road but to be legal you have to pass a driving  test cyclists don't, and what about the numerous cyclists who ride  on the pavement and you can't hear them coming from behind until they nearly run you over or cyclists in the winter riding without lights on their bikes. If you drove a car without any lights you would soon be pulled over by the law. Just as there are good drivers and bad drivers there are just as many bad cyclists
« Last Edit: June 13, 2022, 09:22:03 am by mr.bluesky »

Offline Watts.E.Dunn

True there are a lot of bad drivers on the road but to be legal you have to pass a driving  test cyclists don't, and what about the numerous cyclists who ride  on the pavement and you can't hear them coming from behind until they nearly run you over or cyclists in the winter riding without lights on their bikes. If you drove a car without any lights you would soon be pulled over by the law. Just as there are good drivers and bad drivers there are just as many bad cyclists

And we do have more that our fair share of them up here in Cambridge!..

Irate bus driver to student: Oi! sunshine, wot are you reaing?

Student cyclist: Oh! Classics Sir!

Irate bus driver: Well try reading the flipping Highway code first!!!

Online daviemac

• Forum Moderator
  • Reviews: 24

If the driver of a powered vehicle breaks the law whilst driving they can be disqualified from driving, what happens to the moronic cyclist who runs red lights etc, at most a fine but they are free to carry on as they were, no deterrent at all.

Offline PumpDump

If the driver of a powered vehicle breaks the law whilst driving they can be disqualified from driving, what happens to the moronic cyclist who runs red lights etc, at most a fine but they are free to carry on as they were, no deterrent at all.

A motorist breaking a red light has the potential to cause a hell of a lot more damage than a cyclist (or pedestrian) who breaks a red light. That is why they are not treated equally under the law.

Online daviemac

• Forum Moderator
A motorist breaking a red light has the potential to cause a hell of a lot more damage than a cyclist (or pedestrian) who breaks a red light. That is why they are not treated equally under the law.
A cyclist can be the cause of as much damage as a car, it isn't what the cyclist hits it's what the car, truck, bus hits when taking action to avoid the cyclist.

Offline PumpDump

A cyclist can be the cause of as much damage as a car, it isn't what the cyclist hits it's what the car, truck, bus hits when taking action to avoid the cyclist.

And that happens how many times? As I said the punishment is in proportion to the offence. It is clear a cyclist or pedestrian breaking a red light is a lot less serious than a car doing so.

Online daviemac

• Forum Moderator
And that happens how many times? As I said the punishment is in proportion to the offence. It is clear a cyclist or pedestrian breaking a red light is a lot less serious than a car doing so.
You are just proving my point, cyclists tend to think they are invincible and it does no harm to go through red lights, weave between pedestrians on a crossing and ignore nearly every rule of the road.

With the attitude you have it's no wonder there's so many accidents involving cyclists.

For minor driving offences I think the deterrents are minimal or nothing. For more serious offences there's no shortage of drivers who would appear to have got off very lightly. Here's an example from just the past week: External Link/Members Only

A deterrent to the cyclist, as well as a fine, is that they are the significantly more vulnerable group and they would be primarily putting themselves and their life at risk. For more serious offences they have ended up in jail.

You can apply the same logic to a pedestrian crossing on red and say they can be the cause of as much damage as an articulated truck.

I’m not sure where that gets you, it’s clearly not equivalent.

Offline lamboman

I’m not sure where that gets you, it’s clearly not equivalent.

Indeed hence the law treats them differently.
Banned reason: Shit stirrer and blocking moderator's PMs
Banned by: daviemac

Offline PumpDump

You are just proving my point, cyclists tend to think they are invincible and it does no harm to go through red lights, weave between pedestrians on a crossing and ignore nearly every rule of the road.

With the attitude you have it's no wonder there's so many accidents involving cyclists.

I'm just stating facts, like it or not.

Is the number of accidents involving motor vehicles larger? Maybe their attitude should be looked at?

I wouldn't have trouble believing that a motorist in a nice comfy protective metal box that isolates them from the outside world, with airbags, crumple zones, and safety systems would feel invincible.

I would tend to think that cyclists are generally fairly aware of their mortality and the risks around them.

Offline lamboman

Is the number of accidents involving motor vehicles larger?
Much larger and the consequences much worse.
Also most cyclists deaths involve a vehicle.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2022, 06:31:22 pm by lamboman »

Offline PumpDump

Much larger and the consequences much worse.
Also most cyclists deaths involve a vehicle.

And most of them are idiot cyclists passing on the inside of vehicles turning left. Nothing to do with breaking red lights.

Can be maybe, but it's nowhere near as likely:

Attached image shows, if you're going to be killed by another road user, it'll most likely be by a car driver.

Hidden Image/Members Only

(to be clear, the stats don't comment on who is responsible for the accident).

Also states:

"over half (54%) of those killed by cars in 2020 were either pedestrians or pedal cyclists. Occupants of other cars accounted for 26%"

Seems like we've found which group is the problem on the roads (and it's not a cyclist going through a red light).

Funny that it's the group shouting loudest at others that are the problem.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2022, 07:11:30 pm by theHappyLondonPigeon »

Offline lamboman

And most of them are idiot cyclists passing on the inside of vehicles turning left. Nothing to do with breaking red lights.

Are they do you have the figures for that or have you just made it up?

Online daviemac

• Forum Moderator
I'm just stating facts, like it or not.
So am I and in my opinion any cyclist who thinks I's alright to go through red lights because 'it is serious' is an idiot.

Anyway I'm going to leave it here, you think it's OK for cyclists to do as they please on the roads but I don't and you aren't going change your attitude so it's pointless going any further.

"
Q15) How many casualties occurred when someone was driving whilst over the legal alcohol limit?

A15) Statistics, especially relating to the number of fatalities, are subject to considerable uncertainty but provisional estimates for 2020 show that between 190 and 250 people were killed in accidents in Great Britain where at least one driver was over the drink-drive limit, with a central estimate of 220 deaths. This represents about 15 per cent of all deaths in reported road accidents in 2020. The central estimate for 2020 is lower than the final figure for 2019, but the decrease is not statistically significant.

The central estimate of 220 deaths is the lowest since 2015...
"

... but cyclists go through red lights.

(posted before seeing last comment, not trying to prolong this.)
« Last Edit: June 13, 2022, 07:23:01 pm by theHappyLondonPigeon »

So am I and in my opinion any cyclist who thinks I's alright to go through red lights because 'it is serious' is an idiot.

Anyway I'm going to leave it here, you think it's OK for cyclists to do as they please on the roads but I don't and you aren't going change your attitude so it's pointless going any further.

I don’t think anyone is saying that cyclists are fine to go through red lights, they’re not and should absolutely stick to the rules as much as everyone else should.

I think the issue is singling out the most vulnerable group that causes the least harm to others and suggesting that they are the most significant problem worthy of comment.

I’ll leave it there too. The comments are not meant to be personal so hope they are not taken that way just as an interesting discussion.

Offline PumpDump

First, it is not what I said at all.

Second, when did anyone ever change someone else's opinion or attitude in the history of the internet?!  :lol:

Online daviemac

• Forum Moderator
First, it is not what I said at all.

Second, when did anyone ever change someone else's opinion or attitude in the history of the internet?!  :lol:
I have nothing more to say on the subject, leave me out of it.