Sugar Babies
Shemales

Author Topic: Tracks of your year's  (Read 782 times)

Online badsin

There is a famous DJ that presented this as part of his show primarily on BBC radio two.
I don't think there was any rules, other than what influenced them through the years.
To keep it simple, what be your 'three' choices be?

1. Ghost town, the specials.
External Link/Members Only
Which started my life of Two tone.

2. The cult, she sells sanctuary.

3. Oasis. Whatever.

I'm surprised I haven't linked ACDC, Happy Monday's, or many others.....
My choices, what are yours....links please  :hi:
« Last Edit: March 19, 2024, 12:05:09 am by badsin »

Online Dipper

Nice idea for a thread Badsin.  :thumbsup:

Could also use the Radcliffe and Maconie format of ‘first, last, and everything ‘

Offline Jumping Jack Flash

This is so difficult for me! I could pick a top three based on the genre of music that I’m listening to but I’d be here all day and would monopolise the thread. So here goes:

Otis Redding - Try A Little Tenderness. Incredible to realise that this was recorded the day he and several members of his band were killed.

Bob Dylan - Hurricane. Bob the God and a lyrical genius

The Rolling Stones - Gimme Shelter. In my opinion the best intro in rock music and the Stones at their majestic best.

Offline shaft10

Hard to pin 3 as I listen to all sorts depending on my mood .. but go to's over the years are:

Paul van Dyke - For an Angel

Oasis - Live Forever

System F - Out of the Blue

I always swayed to trance music as I spent my youth at Gatecrasher events  :music:

Offline MrBamboo

I have had conversations about this, I have always said it should be tracks that were part of your life not "its the best guitar solo" etc etc.

My first two would be when you went to the pub at lunchtime (when drinking in work time was allowed !) and played pool with
a big old fashioned juke box blasting out tunes at full volume, happy not a care in the world day's:
Odyssey - Inside Out
Edwyn Collins - Never Seen a Girl Like You Before

Third would be when you went up town on the Bus on a Saturday afternnon to buy a Vinyl Album and couldnt wait to get home
and play it.
"Bop to you Drop" blew me away (and was the first mainstream digitaly recorded record)
Ry cooder - I Can't Win ( with a fantastic vocal by Bobby King)

Offline chrishornx

Nice idea for a thread Badsin.  :thumbsup:

Could also use the Radcliffe and Maconie format of ‘first, last, and everything ‘

a condensed desert island discs

Online Colston36

This is so difficult for me! I could pick a top three based on the genre of music that I’m listening to but I’d be here all day and would monopolise the thread. So here goes:

Otis Redding - Try A Little Tenderness. Incredible to realise that this was recorded the day he and several members of his band were killed.

Bob Dylan - Hurricane. Bob the God and a lyrical genius

The Rolling Stones - Gimme Shelter. In my opinion the best intro in rock music and the Stones at their majestic best.

I saw Otis Redding on his Stax Tour of Britain with an astonishing number of great performers - but nobody quite as good as him.

On the other hand I saw the Stones in a club behind Piccadilly when they were unknown; I just thought they were noisy. Their version of Satisfaction nowhere near as good as his original i m o. But I saw them years later in Sydney, and they sure put on a show.

Offline Jumping Jack Flash

I saw Otis Redding on his Stax Tour of Britain with an astonishing number of great performers - but nobody quite as good as him.

On the other hand I saw the Stones in a club behind Piccadilly when they were unknown; I just thought they were noisy. Their version of Satisfaction nowhere near as good as his original i m o. But I saw them years later in Sydney, and they sure put on a show.

Satisfaction is a Stones original that Otis Redding covered and I personally think that his version is the better one. Keith Richards has said in later years that the sound that Otis got was what he was looking for but never really managed to get.

Offline MrBamboo

I have had conversations about this, I have always said it should be tracks that were part of your life not "its the best guitar solo" etc etc.

My first two would be when you went to the pub at lunchtime (when drinking in work time was allowed !) and played pool with
a big old fashioned juke box blasting out tunes at full volume, happy not a care in the world day's:
Odyssey - Inside Out
Edwyn Collins - Never Seen a Girl Like You Before

Third would be when you went up town on the Bus on a Saturday afternnon to buy a Vinyl Album and couldnt wait to get home
and play it.
"Bop to you Drop" blew me away (and was the first mainstream digitaly recorded record)
Ry cooder - I Can't Win ( with a fantastic vocal by Bobby King)

Couldnt do the links earlier....
Odysssey - External Link/Members Only
Edwyn Collins - External Link/Members Only
Ry Cooder - External Link/Members Only

Online timsussex

memories of ....

First Girlfriend  - Bob Seger Turn the Page from Live Bullet

Walking down the Aisle to Pachebel

Daughter leaving home for Uni - Tom Rush Childs Song

Online scutty brown

King Crimson - Starless  External Link/Members Only
Can - Halleluwah      External Link/Members Only
Klaus Schulze  - Cyborg  (all 97 minutes of it) External Link/Members Only

and for good measure a fourth as a spare
MAGMA - Mekanïk Destruktïw Kommandöh  (again, all of it)  External Link/Members Only

This music kept me sane during my teens, it gave me an escape from my parents
« Last Edit: March 19, 2024, 04:22:36 pm by scutty brown »

Online Colston36

Satisfaction is a Stones original that Otis Redding covered and I personally think that his version is the better one. Keith Richards has said in later years that the sound that Otis got was what he was looking for but never really managed to get.

You are correct: his was so much better I assumed wrongly it was the original. 

Offline hairdownthere

Sugarhill Gang - Rappers Delight, first record I bought at 9 years old and shaped my musical preference for life

Run DMC - My Adidas, first record I bought with my first wage

Mobb Deep - Shook Ones Part 2, the zenith of hip hop (in my eyes, or ears)

Offline myothernameis

My choices, what are yours....links please  :hi:

1.   External Link/Members Only
      Wonderland by Big Country, and the cover art really caught me as a Scot, and fell in love the the bands songs

Hidden Image/Members Only

2.   External Link/Members Only
      OMD Maid of Orleans, found the intro catchy, and even today this songs still sound as good as it first came out

3.    External Link/Members Only
       Midnight Oil, Beds are Burning, heard this song in a sports centre, band not widely known in the UK, but a few years later that changed

« Last Edit: March 19, 2024, 06:24:34 pm by myothernameis »

Online mr.bluesky

1.   External Link/Members Only
      Wonderland by Big Country, and the cover art really caught me as a Scot, and fell in love the the bands songs

2.   External Link/Members Only
      OMD Maid of Orleans, found the intro catchy, and even today this songs still sound as good as it first came out

3.    External Link/Members Only
       Midnight Oil, Beds are Burning, heard this song in a sports centre, band not widely known in the UK, but a few years later that changed

Some good choices there, was a fan of Big Country back in the day. Also Midnight Oil too. Saw them in concert many years ago. Blue Sky mining by Midnight Oil still one of my favourite albums from a much underrated band :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: March 19, 2024, 07:03:11 pm by mr.bluesky »

Online badsin

Haven't listened to that album in a while, think I'll dig that out  :hi:

Online badsin

I've forgotten the name of that album but also had walk this way on it?
Tougher than leather was another greet album  :hi:

Online mr.bluesky

Haven't listened to that album in a while, think I'll dig that out  :hi:

Diesel and Dust is another album of theirs worth listening  to  :hi: Beds are Burning is the opening track on this album
« Last Edit: March 19, 2024, 07:27:38 pm by mr.bluesky »

Offline myothernameis

Also Midnight Oil too. Saw them in concert many years ago. Blue Sky mining by Midnight Oil still one of my favourite albums from a much underrated band :thumbsup:

The band played the Glasgow Barrowlands 1993, brilliant concert and so up close, from thats day I began to listen to there back catalog, and from each album I have my favorites

Offline Kool Keef

Sugarhill Gang - Rappers Delight, first record I bought at 9 years old and shaped my musical preference for life

Mobb Deep - Shook Ones Part 2, the zenith of hip hop (in my eyes, or ears)

Never thought i'd see Shook Ones Part 2 mentioned on UKP  :cool:

Online mr.bluesky

There is a famous DJ that presented this as part of his show primarily on BBC radio two.
I don't think there was any rules, other than what influenced them through the years.
To keep it simple, what be your 'three' choices be?

1. Ghost town, the specials.
Which started my life of Two tone.

You might be interested to know there is a Two Tone museum in Coventry the birthplace of Two Tone music.
Coventry City have also re issued the Two Tone Kit from a number of years ago which pays homage to two tone music

« Last Edit: March 20, 2024, 06:45:50 am by mr.bluesky »

Offline FLYING BLUE

1 - Close to the Edge - YES

2 - Still in love with you - Thin Lizzy

3 - Court of the Crimson King - King Crimson

4 - Dead Babies - Alice Cooper
« Last Edit: March 24, 2024, 11:09:24 am by FLYING BLUE »

Online Watts.E.Dunn

Yes! King Crimson one of the best tracks here In the wake of Posidon voiced by the late great Greg Lake

Another one by the same gone much too soon man!..

An whist on a nostalgia trip Roger Hodgson of Supertramp fame he's still performaing I believe!

Never forget one night i was with the support band  and Supertramps mixing bloke was distracted shagging a groupie sensless i was asked if i could drive theri PA system made a good job of it was quite chuffed mind you when I saw the bird he was knocking off! Stunner she was, sure she was a model or something!..

Lucky Barstard!

Offline JimmySW

Grew up in the 70's:

Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon - External Link/Members Only

Also Fleetwood Mac, Supertramp, Status Quo, and a lot of Glam rock!

Online mr.bluesky

Grew up in the 70's:

Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon - External Link/Members Only

Also Fleetwood Mac, Supertramp, Status Quo, and a lot of Glam rock!

Great choices there Jimmy in Pink Floyd, Supertramp and Fleetwood Mac. Saw Supertramp in concert in the late 70's. Recently saw a Pink Floyd tribute band play the whole of dark side of the Moon and other tracks at Coventry Cathedral ( The new cathedral) Unusual venue but the acoustics and the use of the cathedral organ was very good.

Offline Doc Holliday

Bit late with this thread.

I agree, though sometimes you can combine them both and have great tracks as well as associated with strong memories of a part of your life.

So these fit the bill for me. Circa 1970, truly happy sixth form days and an eclectic mix of tracks from that time.

Freda Payne, Band of Gold (reminds me of my first love) External Link/Members Only

Slade, Coz I Love You External Link/Members Only

Free, All right Now External Link/Members Only

Offline ik8133

A few stand out tracks from my teens!

First record bought, well I was only 14!
Barry Blue "Dancing on a Saturday Night"

Had the hots for the lead singer, think it was the jumpsuit!
Earth and Fire "Weekend"

Just love her singing and the instrumentals,
Fairport Convention "Rising for the Moon"

« Last Edit: March 27, 2024, 09:22:40 am by ik8133 »

Offline JimmySW

Great choices there Jimmy in Pink Floyd, Supertramp and Fleetwood Mac. Saw Supertramp in concert in the late 70's. Recently saw a Pink Floyd tribute band play the whole of dark side of the Moon and other tracks at Coventry Cathedral ( The new cathedral) Unusual venue but the acoustics and the use of the cathedral organ was very good.

Thanks, I was lucky enough to see Fleetwood Mac at the NEC and I also saw The Aussie Floyd who were fantastic musically, the inflatable kangaroo was a nice touch but they weren't very animated IMHO.