Sugar Babies
Shemales

Author Topic: Search function on this site....  (Read 1656 times)

Offline HawkG

Can the search function on this site please be made better?

I suspect it's using the text-search features of MySQL or PostgreSQL, but both of those are a bit shit. And the results are terrible for a site like this.  Any post older than a few months is, quite often, going to be useless yet they often get ranked higher than recent posts that are more relevant.  Search a popular area and you'll get a shed load of duff links on the first page as the discussion is about AW pages that are no longer live.

It massively detracts from the usefulness of this forum.

Use the fuzzy text matching if necessary, but please put exact matches first, sorted by date (descending). How does anything else make sense?

Offline RedKettle

Given that Admin runs the site for free and that amounts to quite a lot of work each and every day you might want to make such comments in a more respectful way!

Offline NIK

Given that Admin runs the site for free and that amounts to quite a lot of work each and every day you might want to make such comments in a more respectful way!

Exactly what I was thinking.

Online daviemac

• Board Moderator
  • Reviews: 24

I suspect it's using the text-search features of MySQL or PostgreSQL, but both of those are a bit shit. And the results are terrible for a site like this.  Any post older than a few months is, quite often, going to be useless yet they often get ranked higher than recent posts that are more relevant.  Search a popular area and you'll get a shed load of duff links on the first page as the discussion is about AW pages that are no longer live.

Use the fuzzy text matching if necessary, but please put exact matches first, sorted by date (descending). How does anything else make sense?

If you don't like it don't use it.   :thumbsdown: 

Shows a total lack of respect for all the hard work admin puts in for free

Offline HawkG

It was intended respectfully. It's a pretty valid suggestion though, don't you think?

Offline PLeisure

It was intended respectfully.
It didn't come across as such  :rolleyes:
Well, OK - first sentence, yes. And then you quickly assume that the site utilises two possible search facilities. Before giving us the benefit of your opinion on them. To quote:
Quote from: HawkG
both of those are a bit shit

You then conclude with a belligerent sweeping statement based on your recommendations:
Quote from: HawkG
How does anything else make sense?

Under normal circumstances, you'd probably be directed to the relevant link where you can contribute funds to improve things, if need be. Except that this forum doesn't accept any form of external funding.
The smarter thing to do would be contact Admin directly and I suggest approach with a degree of humility.

Offline HawkG

Is it open source?

I'd gladly do a demi implementation myself of better (IMO) search, which can be incorporated or ignored at the site owner's wish.  I'm not donating cash, but I'd be happy to donate effort.

Offline NIK

This is becoming interesting.  :rolleyes:
I may be wrong but I have every confidence in predicting that Admin won't want or need any technical assistance from anyone.

Offline BP96

I would love a search function by category if possible.

OldAdmin

Searching by region is coming sometime this week, the sorting has just been added:
https://www.ukpunting.com/index.php?action=searchposts

The site uses Sphinx instead of MySQL for search.

I was thinking of adding some kind of API to the site, but unsure if any will make use of it.

In general the lack of features is because this site is low priority for me compared to other sites which generate revenue.

Offline Jimmyredcab

Anyone would think you are paying £100 a year membership ------------ you are paying fuck all.   :dash: :dash: :dash:

Offline madeinwales56

Anyone would think you are paying £100 a year membership ------------ you are paying fuck all.   :dash: :dash: :dash:

Not often I agree with Jimmy but I agree with Jimmy. HawkG's choice of words is unfortunate to say the least and the tone is completely unnecessary. If you don't like the functionality of the site you can always find somewhere else to do your bitching.

Offline cueball

If you don't like it don't use it.   :thumbsdown: 

Shows a total lack of respect for all the hard work admin puts in for free

+1

Don't come back op if you don't like it. We'll happily muddle on as we are.

Works fine for me as I'm prepared to do some work to read what I need.

As far as I'm concerned it can stay exactly how it is.

Offline tesla

I find the search function works fine for me and am eternally grateful I don't have to pay to use this site

Still-alive

Searching by region is coming sometime this week, the sorting has just been added:
https://www.ukpunting.com/index.php?action=searchposts

The site uses Sphinx instead of MySQL for search.

I was thinking of adding some kind of API to the site, but unsure if any will make use of it.

In general the lack of features is because this site is low priority for me compared to other sites which generate revenue.

Low priority or not, most of us are simply grateful that such a site exists. Its invaluable to us punters and unique in what it does.

Offline qetzl

I'd be interested in writing a Chrome extension that would maybe tie in. A few things that I'd look to do:
1) CSS+HTML modification on AW to make some of the panels (likes list for example) nicer to use.
2) Disabling the right click handler for AW
3) Inject a little + / Neutral / - review count on girls that had reviews (this would be where an API would be nice)
and maybe some more.

I didn't really want to commit to anything like this, but uni is nearly done for the summer so I need a project for when I'm not at work.
I would probably get back in touch once 1+2 were done rather than hinge it all now on an API here being available, but seeing *inside AW* the review counts for a girl, and then having a link to a listing of those reviews would be much nicer than copy and pasting her ID about.

Offline NelsonH

Just open Google and do a search like this:

site:ukpunting.com thieving

OldAdmin

3) Inject a little + / Neutral / - review count on girls that had reviews (this would be where an API would be nice)
and maybe some more.

Have added it to my to-do list, will try to think of more to add to the API.

I used to write Greasemonkey scripts for AdultWork in 2008/09 before this site was created, mainly to skip warning pages, etc. Stopped after Chrome dropped Greasemonkey support, though I believe it's possible to convert GM scripts into Chrome extensions and upload them to Chrome Web Store to act as proper extensions.

Offline Stiltskin

I used to write Greasemonkey scripts for AdultWork in 2008/09 before this site was created, mainly to skip warning pages, etc.

Thanks, I'm still using them on Firefox :)

Offline arthur

I have no idea what any of these technical terms mean but it is still fun to read for some reason  :D

Offline cueball

I have no idea what any of these technical terms mean but it is still fun to read for some reason  :D

:lol: plus one arthur,, I'm the same

Offline qetzl

:lol: plus one arthur,, I'm the same
Well, hopefully I'll have something to show you in a week or two once my exams are done :cool:

OldAdmin

and maybe some more.

Have added it to my to-do list, will try to think of more to add to the API.

Something done, basic but working:
https://www.ukpunting.com/aw2ukp.php?id=1573617

In example above:
1573617 is AdultWork Profile ID.
Data return in JSON format.
237 result is the UKP Service Provider ID.
Result zero means nothing found.

Add UKP Service Provider ID to this url, e.g.
https://www.ukpunting.com/index.php?action=serviceprovider;id=237

Review counter data also included, timestamps are in Unix format.