Sugar Babies
Shemales

Author Topic: HMRC to close phone lines again over summer.  (Read 459 times)

Offline Dickled

External Link/Members Only

Unbelievable really, isn't it?
It was bad enough when they decided to close all their enquiry offices, and now this.

Offline StingRay

Unbelievable really, isn't it?
It was bad enough when they decided to close all their enquiry offices, and now this.

Doesn't make a lot of difference, unless you were prepared to be put on hold for at least 30 minutes as is currently the case. What makes it worse is that you can't email or text them. They're pretty quick to email you though if they want money or you are late filing.

Offline RandomGuy99

BBC News - HMRC will close tax helpline for half the year

Online Colston36

BBC News - HMRC will close tax helpline for half the year

I know it's common for old sods like me to say things were better in my day - but in many ways they were.

Offline RandomGuy99

I know it's common for old sods like me to say things were better in my day - but in many ways they were.
I remember walking into my local tax office without an appointment and having a face to face conversation with a real human about my tax and they actually pulled up my records and explained it all to me. It took maybe 30 minutes.

Offline Stevelondon

I remember walking into my local tax office without an appointment and having a face to face conversation with a real human about my tax and they actually pulled up my records and explained it all to me. It took maybe 30 minutes.

Heaven forbid we should go back to those days. When you could actually talk to someone face to face.
HMRC will no doubt be having their call centre in Mumbai soon enough.

Offline mr.bluesky

Heaven forbid we should go back to those days. When you could actually talk to someone face to face.
HMRC will no doubt be having their call centre in Mumbai soon enough.

I think I've already spoke to one a few months ago , hardly understand a word he said  :dash:

Offline Dickled

The timing of this could hardly be worse if we consider "the fiscal drag" question, where more and more people will find themselves liable to income tax as a result of the freezing of personal allowances.
And perhaps it's reasonable to suggest a considerable number will be older, and without wishing to be patronizing (I'm in my 70's myself), I'm guessing many will find it difficult sorting out any tax problems out via the internet.

Online timsussex

given self assessment deadline of 31st Jan I would reckon 90% of calls are between Dec- Feb so its not that daft to reduce service in summer months

Online Colston36

given self assessment deadline of 31st Jan I would reckon 90% of calls are between Dec- Feb so its not that daft to reduce service in summer months

The difference between government and private enterprise is generally quite simple.

The private enterpreneur thinks "How can I get more customers?" The government thinks "How can we extract the most money for the least effort?"

I experienced a brilliant exposition of this many years ago during a cruise from Venice up to the Black Sea and back.

Every port we visited offered its pleasures, except Odessa in Russia. That was dire. Dreadful food, no service worth the name.

Nigh on 300 years ago Adam Smith wrote : “It is not from the benevolence of the butcher, the brewer, or the baker that we expect our dinner, but from their regard to their own interest.”

Having said that my experience of an NHS hospital during an illness I've suffered from for 4 months has often been wonderful. But not always: my GP is rubbish.

Offline RandomGuy99

BBC News - HMRC reverses decision to close telephone helpline

Flip flopping idiots. 
« Last Edit: March 20, 2024, 11:51:42 am by RandomGuy99 »

Offline StingRay

BBC News - HMRC reverses decision to close telephone helpline

Flip flopping idiots.

No doubt HMRC following this site and took notice of the summer of our discontent!  :rolleyes:

Offline RandomGuy99

No doubt HMRC following this site and took notice of the summer of our discontent!  :rolleyes:
Some idiot probably spent months agreeing that. They announce it and the world say WTF!

Next day they cancel it. Brilliant!!

Online Blackpool Rock

Some idiot probably spent months agreeing that. They announce it and the world say WTF!

Next day they cancel it. Brilliant!!
It probably took a team of highly paid consultants and business experts to come up with that

Offline mr.bluesky

For once commonsense prevails which is a rarity
« Last Edit: March 20, 2024, 08:39:01 pm by mr.bluesky »