Sugar Babies
Shemales

Author Topic: Dual sim iPhone question  (Read 1911 times)

Offline dfg

One for the more technical here.

I have a seperate punting sim and a punting phone. It keeps things nice and compartmentalised.

But I quite fancy a dual sim iPhone - but am worried that if I put both punting and normal sims in the same phone, the phone will ‘pair’ them somehow or allow social media to, so that my Instagram profile will show up as "someone you may know” in WG’s feeds.

Does anyone know if this is a real issue or if the phone and the sims are wholly partitioned?

Thanks very much  :hi:

Offline Collegiate

I use a dual SIM Android phone. They are wholly individualised. Just make sure when messaging that the punting Sim is being used and is turned off when returning home.

Offline dfg

Great. Just what I was hoping for. Thanks.

Hopefully someone will be able to confirm that it’s the same for the latest iPhones.

Offline MassageBloke

Just don't bloody forget, and leave both on, with the mobile on the kitchen table  :scare:
Banned reason: Self confessed non punter.
Banned by: daviemac

Offline Steve2

Great. Just what I was hoping for. Thanks.

Hopefully someone will be able to confirm that it’s the same for the latest iPhones.

The Iphone 2nd one is a virtual one,

Offline dfg

The Iphone 2nd one is a virtual one,

Forgive me for being thick. What does that mean? I have two actual micro sims. Can I ‘scan’ the punting one into the virtual position?

Offline dfg

Just don't bloody forget, and leave both on, with the mobile on the kitchen table  :scare:

Quite

Offline Widescreen

Speaking from experience there?

Offline tynetunnel

Forgive me for being thick. What does that mean? I have two actual micro sims. Can I ‘scan’ the punting one into the virtual position?

No. Afaik only Voda and EE offer virtual sim. There is an inbuilt sim in the phone which can be used for any suitable provider - in this case those mentioned above. It can be changed to different providers, so it’s ‘virtual’, unlike a conventional sim which is fixed to the issuing provider. 

So I was on a standard EE micro sim. I went to the store, and it took a lot of persuading them to swap me from a physical to virtual sim. But they did, for no charge or tariff change as I was out of contract. Then I bought a sim on ‘3’ with cash from a well known catalogue store, and topped up with cash at a well known supermarket. My ‘3’ sim is unregistered, and is my punting sim  :hi:

Offline matthew1986

This is how I manage my punting phone on an iPhone.

It is an eSIM not physical SIM and you need to scan a QR code (barcode) that you get from your mobile phone company to get it to work.

It does work but you need to keep your wits about you.

You will have Primary and Secondary numbers and top right the signal strength indicator is split into 2 horizontally, that is the only outward clue there are 2 numbers.

But, if messages or calls are received then will ring exactly the same (may be able to change it but I haven’t) and messages all appear together. I have my ‘preview’ settings for messages disabled on lock so prying eyes don’t notice anything what I am up to. If any messages received from numbers not stored in my phone then say it was the GP / hospital confirming appointment (I have a few of these) or car park telling me expiring, or EDF harassing me for a smart meter or other nondescript reason that I have committed to memory.

Also, can only use WhatsApp with one number per handset so one of the numbers will not have a WhatsApp.

And both lines have to be with the same network if the phone is locked.

In terms of social media, mine are all liked to ‘me’ and not ‘not me’ so easy enough as don’t have a punting social media persona.

Also, if you and the SP use iMessage then can cause problems - I change the iMessage setting to ‘off’ before sending that first message to force all future ones via message and not iMessage.

And finally, and I know I’ve said it before, keep your wits about you or you could call from the primary and not secondary number.

Online timsussex

Anyone thinking of an Android dual SIM should know
1) while it works well it is easy to call someone using the wrong Sim - or maybe I was just careless!
2) If you have both Active it eats battery life 

Offline Steve2

Yes , the 2nd one has to be scanned. Not sure exactly how as I haven't tried it yet

Offline dfg

This is how I manage my punting phone on an iPhone.

It is an eSIM not physical SIM and you need to scan a QR code (barcode) that you get from your mobile phone company to get it to work.

It does work but you need to keep your wits about you.

You will have Primary and Secondary numbers and top right the signal strength indicator is split into 2 horizontally, that is the only outward clue there are 2 numbers.

But, if messages or calls are received then will ring exactly the same (may be able to change it but I haven’t) and messages all appear together. I have my ‘preview’ settings for messages disabled on lock so prying eyes don’t notice anything what I am up to. If any messages received from numbers not stored in my phone then say it was the GP / hospital confirming appointment (I have a few of these) or car park telling me expiring, or EDF harassing me for a smart meter or other nondescript reason that I have committed to memory.

Also, can only use WhatsApp with one number per handset so one of the numbers will not have a WhatsApp.

And both lines have to be with the same network if the phone is locked.

In terms of social media, mine are all liked to ‘me’ and not ‘not me’ so easy enough as don’t have a punting social media persona.

Also, if you and the SP use iMessage then can cause problems - I change the iMessage setting to ‘off’ before sending that first message to force all future ones via message and not iMessage.

And finally, and I know I’ve said it before, keep your wits about you or you could call from the primary and not secondary number.

Got it. Thank you. Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks to others who’ve also given advice here.

Two last questions.

I assume I can turn off the punting profile for most of the time so there’s only one set of bars, and no danger of unwanted messages?

My punting sim is a PAYG from 3. I gave a false name when buying it so suspect it’ll be hard to get it virtualised, and I’ll probably have to go to a phone shop and ask to buy a fresh sim, and for them to arrange a virtual one?

Thanks again.

Offline matthew1986

Easy enough to turn off secondary line. And thankfully buried in the menus so hard to find even if you know it is there. To help (Settings, then Mobile Data, then Secondary line, then Turn On This Line (change toggle to the off position).

You will need to speak to 3 about eSIMs - cannot help with that. Sorry.

Offline dfg

Offline evg

Three does not offer eSims unfortunately although they are testing them so they might start offering them this year.

The only providers that offer it are EE and O2, only for contracts although you might be able to get them to give it to you on a pay as you go sim if you’re persuasive enough.

Vodafone has eSim just for Apple Watch.

There’s also Truphone and Ubigi who offer eSims that are tailored more to people going on holidays but would work as a punting number.

I’ve researched this a bit and in the end decided it’s too risky to use my punting number as an eSim. The chances of forgetting to disable it or leave a message were too high.

I’ve resorted to using an app called Hushed. It gives you a UK number with phone calls and messages, all inside their app which is pin protected. You need to create an account that only asks for an email and buy packages via the inapp purchases (so they don’t get any data about you). Since you have an account you can uninstall it and reinstall it only when you need to punt and all the calls and messages you received while the app was uninstalled will be waiting for you.

Offline Widescreen

I picked up a cheap Android Phone the other week, £26, it's a good size and although a bit rough around the edges, it is OK.  It is Dual SIM too, so will be playing with it soon.  Very interesting reading this thread for tips and tricks.

Offline MassageBloke

I manage fine with a separate mobile, nothing exotic, bought for £10 from CeX shop, Sim was free if you topped it up enough. It lives in a box of junk old mobiles and chargers, or in my pocket. Even if 'found', switched off it's not obvious how to switch it on, so very little chance of that happening. In and out TXT boxes always empty when away from me.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 11:18:23 am by MassageBloke »

Offline geostorm1

I didn't know you could turn off the 2nd sim in Android - that is really useful. Samsung Secure Folder is good as well for this kind of compartmentalising if you do use just one phone.

Offline bolo79bm

This isnt strictly correct as you can register your second number with what's app business. It's an identical app to the standard what's app so you can actually end up running both standard what's app and what's app business on the same phone but with different apps with different numbers.

Offline Arbetare

To be honest, look at the worst case failure mode - you use the wrong sim at the wrong time you're stuffed.

Given how cheap second hand phones are, I've opted for a second phone with completely separate "Punting Only" sim. There is no possible connection between my real phone, or any chance of that occuring.

Offline B4bcock

There is no possible connection between my real phone, or any chance of that occuring.

My legit and punting phones are both Sony android smartphones.   After I had used my punting phone for the first time I stashed it away safely.   Later that day I had to use my normal phone and found all my punting contacts had been transferred on to it (I have to take both phones to punts, unfortunately, and whilst they were snuggled up together they exchanged info).   I was able to go online and find out how to disable this feature on both phones, but it caused a bit of mild panic for a while.

Offline bolo79bm

My legit and punting phones are both Sony android smartphones.   After I had used my punting phone for the first time I stashed it away safely.   Later that day I had to use my normal phone and found all my punting contacts had been transferred on to it (I have to take both phones to punts, unfortunately, and whilst they were snuggled up together they exchanged info).   I was able to go online and find out how to disable this feature on both phones, but it caused a bit of mild panic for a while.

This would be my preference as having two phones would be inexplicable for me so I opt for dual sims. But if my two phones were the same then presto! Only problem is my main phone is an expensive iPhone and although I can afford a punt every now and then, I certainly can't two iPhones.

Offline MassageBloke

My punting mobile cost £10, with a free sim card. Pay as you go.

Offline matthew1986

This isnt strictly correct as you can register your second number with what's app business. It's an identical app to the standard what's app so you can actually end up running both standard what's app and what's app business on the same phone but with different apps with different numbers.

I stand corrected and learn something new every day, but this does raise the question of why WhatsApp business is on a phone when there may never be a need for it, and an extra app to hide.

Offline matthew1986

This would be my preference as having two phones would be inexplicable for me so I opt for dual sims. But if my two phones were the same then presto! Only problem is my main phone is an expensive iPhone and although I can afford a punt every now and then, I certainly can't two iPhones.

Regardless of the type of phone, I think having more than one handset hidden in the house or car or gym bag or brief case or wherever is a risk. If my wife found one iPhone and I had the other in my hand then difficult to explain that. It’ll be the same as her finding a Samsung and an iPhone. Dual SIM for me but wouldn’t suit others. 

Actually, and a long story that I’ll not go into now, she did find an old iPhone in the car and I explained that as me using it as an iPod to listen to music to. Being a Luddite she bought that excuse but others wouldn’t in these days of Bluetooth streaming etc.

Offline Arbetare

You have to do research into any phone you have to endure any possible "leaks" are fixed. Imagine if somehow your punting phone had been in contact with a partners or work colleagues?

My phone is a different OS than my main phone and I have completely separate email and google accounts for punting. I don't use Facebook or Whatsapp on the punting phone either, plus turn off location services when not using maps (if I need to). I also use cash top-ups for the PAYG sim. Sounds over the top, but with electronics/media you have to be careful

Offline tynetunnel

Regardless of the type of phone, I think having more than one handset hidden in the house or car or gym bag or brief case or wherever is a risk. If my wife found one iPhone and I had the other in my hand then difficult to explain that. It’ll be the same as her finding a Samsung and an iPhone. Dual SIM for me but wouldn’t suit others. 

Actually, and a long story that I’ll not go into now, she did find an old iPhone in the car and I explained that as me using it as an iPod to listen to music to. Being a Luddite she bought that excuse but others wouldn’t in these days of Bluetooth streaming etc.

Agreed. Any second phone would be massive alarm bells with my old woman. So I have a dual sim with punting ‘3’ sim, unregistered. As for finding anything in a gym bag? She’d know it couldn’t be mine!  :lol: :lol:

Offline disco

Not an actual answer to your question, but you may want to look into something like External Link/Members Only - it keeps life simple and secure.

Offline Bigbarry45

I use an app called textme. Free to use at first and allows texts and calls. Holds a separate contacts list as well so no worries about that's.

I pay 99p a month just to keep the same number  but if you're not fussed it can stay free to use.

Offline thimble29

Don't forget location history, one phone one location history