Sugar Babies
Shemales

Author Topic: The books thread  (Read 10054 times)

Offline Rick2468

Love this thread. Since I last posted I read The House of Hod by Josiah Bancroft, The Dark Forest by Cixin Liu and Railsea by China Mieville. The first two were really good, the third was just okay. Read a bit like a young adult novel. I only discovered China Mieville a few years ago and I think he is really good so I try and read one of his books every 6 months. He does like to show off and jam as long a word as possible in places though.

I usually pick a horror novel for October each year for spooky season. I read Let The Right One In last year an it was perfect, it's about 600 pages but I read it in 3 or 4 days. Absolutely loved the characters in it. I bit unsure what to choose this year I will pop into Foyles on Saturday.

Offline radioman33

I liked the book A Prison Diary by Jeffrey Archer when he was put inside for perjury.

Offline Marmalade

I read Let The Right One In last year an it was perfect, it's about 600 pages but I read it in 3 or 4 days. Absolutely loved the characters in it. I bit unsure what to choose this year I will pop into Foyles on Saturday.

How did it compare with the (excellent) film, if you've seen it? (I know we "shouldn't compare" but it's a natural impulse, might even persuade some to read the book / see the film)

Offline conrod

Anyone with recommendations for authors who write erotic thrillers?

Offline Marmalade

Apart from the two I mentioned, most of the ones that come to mind are classics and not everyone's cup of tea. De Sade wrote some excellent stuff, though the longer ones drag a bit. Philosophy of the Bedroom really gets going -- see if you can pick up a collected volume. Sacha Masoch is ok if you're into masochism or otherwise reads a bit like a psychological case report. DH Lawrence is often considered the go-to, but has never really got to me as a writer. There was a good four-part(?) adaptation by the BBC I think that might be still available and better than the otherwise movie adaptations. I find the hottest erotic novels are those where the main theme isn't about sex.

Offline Rick2468

How did it compare with the (excellent) film, if you've seen it? (I know we "shouldn't compare" but it's a natural impulse, might even persuade some to read the book / see the film)

I've not seen the film but I intend to watch the Swedish one at some point. I don't normally watch films after reading the book but I saw photos of Oscar and Eli and they looked so much like I imagined and made me want to see it. I am hoping it will be on TV so I can record it. The US remake "Let Me In" was on but I don't want to watch that, they changed the names of the characters which I know is part of westernising it but it did not seem right to me.

I really recommend the book though. The relationship between Oscar and Eli was amazing and I also cared what was going on with the other characters in the book. I think it's a great book for spooky season. I found it really atmospheric. If you read it let me know what you think.

Offline Malvolio

Has anyone read any Salman Rushdie? His take on magic realism isn't for everyone I know, but Midnight's Children is one of the finest books I have ever read.

The Satanic Verses though... I've tried a few times to read it but just find it hard to get in to.

I found Satanic Verses a lot easier going than Midnight's Children (and also considerably funnier).  Given the immense hoo-ha the book caused on publication, it wasn't as 'controversial' as I was expecting either - although my Western perspective is clearly rather different from that of the people who organised book-burning rallies.

Offline Liverpool

Henry Miller: Tropic of Cancer and Tropic of Capricorn.

Not really erotic thrillers, rather semi autobiographical filth. Well written, in a similar vein to The road to Wigan Pier by George Orwell, in that Miller spares little in his travels in Paris. The US banned them until the 1960s.

Offline stevedave

Clever writer but I find him a bit annoying, as if he rather wants the reader to admire his technique more than just enjoy the story. I imagine a conversation with him might be interesting.

Yes, I take your point. I think I'd probably be a bit of an arrogant so and so if I'd been nominated for the Booker Prize 5 times  :lol:

Offline ulstersubbie

Post Office by Charles Bukowski. Bukowski's first novel featuring his alter ego/main character Henry Chinaski. Sparse, cynical and very humourous, classic Bukowski.

Online catweazle

Not thrillers as such, but the sci-fi author Brian Aldiss wrote  some semi-autobiographical "novels " - 'The handreared boy', 'a soldier erect'and 'A rude awakening' which many fellas will easily identify with. They tend to go in and out of print (at times it seems that Aldiss regrets writing them). Funny. Coarse at times and quite erotic.

Offline Marmalade

Yes, I take your point. I think I'd probably be a bit of an arrogant so and so if I'd been nominated for the Booker Prize 5 times  :lol:
I stopped following Booker — it seems to have developed rather twisted criteria IMHO. Milkman for instance had an eye-catching trick in the way it was written but a trick doesn’t sustain a novel. It became tedious.

I respect Rushdie, he has some intelligent insights (at least when he felt free to express himself openly and outside of his novels). He’s a clever man: I don’t need him to prove it by drawing attention to his cleverness in a novel. It’s not Brechtian, as in drawing attention to the reader: drawing attention to the author dispels any suspension of disbelief. When I see that I feel short-changed — I paid money for a story, not to admire Mr Rushdie. He has talents as a writer. I just wish he would use them to write a really monumental novel.

Offline stampjones

I stopped following Booker — it seems to have developed rather twisted criteria IMHO. Milkman for instance had an eye-catching trick in the way it was written but a trick doesn’t sustain a novel. It became tedious.

I respect Rushdie, he has some intelligent insights (at least when he felt free to express himself openly and outside of his novels). He’s a clever man: I don’t need him to prove it by drawing attention to his cleverness in a novel. It’s not Brechtian, as in drawing attention to the reader: drawing attention to the author dispels any suspension of disbelief. When I see that I feel short-changed — I paid money for a story, not to admire Mr Rushdie. He has talents as a writer. I just wish he would use them to write a really monumental novel.
I agree with this. I did enjoy the moor’s last sigh. Not quite as in your face “look at me Im a clever boy” as the others Ive read from his books.

While on the subject of overly clever writers that get in the way of their own talent, SR is not the only one either. Yes Ian McEwan I mean you!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 12:29:10 am by stampjones »

Offline Marmalade

While on the subject of overly clever writers that get in the way of their own talent, SR is not the only one either. Yes Ian McEwan I mean you!

Some authors are simply more enjoyable when they’ve been made into screenplays. Rebus might be a bit of an obnoxious cunt, but he’s very watchable.

Offline The Film Director

Some authors are simply more enjoyable when they’ve been made into screenplays. Rebus might be a bit of an obnoxious cunt, but he’s very watchable.

:unknown: I assume you're talking about Ian Rankin.

... who has just completed the unfinished novel (The Dark Remains - I haven't read it) by William McIlvanney, whose Laidlaw (Glaswegian detective) trio of novels is well worth reading.  The last one Strange Loyalties is one of the funniest books I've ever read. McIlvanney's creation was the inspiration (supposedly) for Rebus.

Offline ulstersubbie

On McEwan you have a point. The early novels (The Cement Garden, Comfort Of Strangers etc) were excellent, but his more recent output just doesn't do it for me.

Offline ulstersubbie

... who has just completed the unfinished novel (The Dark Remains - I haven't read it) by William McIlvanney, whose Laidlaw (Glaswegian detective) trio of novels is well worth reading.  The last one Strange Loyalties is one of the funniest books I've ever read. McIlvanney's creation was the inspiration (supposedly) for Rebus.

If you get the chance FD, check out the Logan Mcrae novels by Stuart MacBride. They are well worth reading.

Offline stampjones

On McEwan you have a point. The early novels (The Cement Garden, Comfort Of Strangers etc) were excellent, but his more recent output just doesn't do it for me.
Yeah thats true

Offline Romeo Sensini

Loved the Ken Stott ones, he seemed much more like how I imagined Rebus. John Hannah not so much.

Offline Marmalade

That reminds me, I still have a couple of Rankin’s ‘novels’ on my shelf. I must give them away to charity! Not a fan.

Offline Marmalade

Yes I did enjoy Cement Garden.

If you get the chance FD, check out the Logan Mcrae novels by Stuart MacBride. They are well worth reading.

I have read a few, US.  Not in the same league as McIlvanney though .... or even Rankin.

Loved the Ken Stott ones, he seemed much more like how I imagined Rebus. John Hannah not so much.

I'd rather see Dave Lee Travis play MacBeth.

Offline stampjones

I have read a few, US.  Not in the same league as McIlvanney though .... or even Rankin.
The logan books are good fun especially DI Steel. I think Rebus is different league. Along with Bosch Rebus is my favourite ever detective. First few books werent great but once he hit his stride it was fantastic

Online willie loman

mcilvaney wanted to be a great writer, he should have accepted that inventing tartan noir was a reasonable legacy, i met him once, i said are you mcilvaney, he replied "guilty as charged"

The logan books are good fun especially DI Steel. I think Rebus is different league. Along with Bosch Rebus is my favourite ever detective. First few books werent great but once he hit his stride it was fantastic

I agree the mid-period Rebus books were the best.  In the characterisation vs plot dilemma, his later books tended to favour (unfortunately) plot at the expense of characterisation, of course by that point there was not that much more to say about Rebus (after 20 books).

Not heard of Bosch .... the Mankell Wallander books are worth trying out if you're into detective fiction.

Offline stampjones

I agree the mid-period Rebus books were the best.  In the characterisation vs plot dilemma, his later books tended to favour (unfortunately) plot at the expense of characterisation, of course by that point there was not that much more to say about Rebus (after 20 books).

Not heard of Bosch .... the Mankell Wallander books are worth trying out if you're into detective fiction.
Cheers. Ive just started Wallander actually. Enjoying them so far.
Harry Bosch is an LA detective written by Michael Connelly. Like Rebus its very character driven. He also did The Lincoln Lawyer series featuring Bosch’s lawyer brother which are also great

Offline Marmalade

I get through more novels when travelling. Never had a kindle but can’t imagine getting into it. Books don’t need recharging. You can turn corners over, scribble in the margins, hold one page open while you check something in the previous chapter. They don’t break if you drop them or throw them at someone. They invite conversation with strangers (no one looks at the back of a kindle and thinks wow he looks hot I’ll ask him what the book’s like). You can swap the book for a different one at the nearest backpackers. You can tear it in half and throw away the part you’ve read to minimise carry-on luggage. It looks nice on your bookshelf (as long as you have good taste). Depending on your jeans it will fit in your back pocket. You can smell it (if it’s new) or rub your dirty mits over it and imagine who’s read it first if it’s nor. You can use it as a headrest if you need a nap. You can enjoy the quality of the paper, the binding.

With a kindle you can …………………. Switch it on.

Offline Rick2468

I used to be anti-kindle but I got one for my birthday 10 years ago and I'm converted. It's so convenient to carry lots of books around with you and you can even read it easily standing on the train. Physical books can have charm but I think these days most books are cheaply made. I like to have some variety of reading a book on Kindle then a physical book.

Offline stampjones

Im in the middle on the kindle vs books debate. I read both. If Im reading more serious stuff where you need to do the stuff marmalade mentions I prefer real books but for reading trashy thrillers on the tube I have kindle on my phone. The other advantage of kindle is that they have a lot of offers with bestsellers and classics for 99p. 

Offline Rick2468

Im in the middle on the kindle vs books debate. I read both. If Im reading more serious stuff where you need to do the stuff marmalade mentions I prefer real books but for reading trashy thrillers on the tube I have kindle on my phone. The other advantage of kindle is that they have a lot of offers with bestsellers and classics for 99p.

I read East of Eden by Steinbeck a few years ago and started on Kindle and felt within 100 pages it was going to an epic book and it didn't feel right reading in on Kindle. There is a community book shop near me and they had a beautiful old copy of the book from the 1970s so I bought that and read the rest in the physical book. Bit random. Great book by the way. I read Of Mice of Men when I was young and didn't really like it but East of Eden is great.

Offline sir wanksalot

I get through more novels when travelling. Never had a kindle but can’t imagine getting into it. Books don’t need recharging. You can turn corners over, scribble in the margins, hold one page open while you check something in the previous chapter. They don’t break if you drop them or throw them at someone. They invite conversation with strangers (no one looks at the back of a kindle and thinks wow he looks hot I’ll ask him what the book’s like). You can swap the book for a different one at the nearest backpackers. You can tear it in half and throw away the part you’ve read to minimise carry-on luggage. It looks nice on your bookshelf (as long as you have good taste). Depending on your jeans it will fit in your back pocket. You can smell it (if it’s new) or rub your dirty mits over it and imagine who’s read it first if it’s nor. You can use it as a headrest if you need a nap. You can enjoy the quality of the paper, the binding.

With a kindle you can …………………. Switch it on.

Bloody luddite!  :P

I agree with you though about being able to write in the margins of a book or marking certain pages. Even the index in non-fiction books is easy to navigate. All of these things ARE possible with a Kindle but it really doesn't feel the same and is a rather clunky experience

Offline standardpostage

I read East of Eden by Steinbeck a few years ago and started on Kindle and felt within 100 pages it was going to an epic book and it didn't feel right reading in on Kindle. There is a community book shop near me and they had a beautiful old copy of the book from the 1970s so I bought that and read the rest in the physical book. Bit random. Great book by the way. I read Of Mice of Men when I was young and didn't really like it but East of Eden is great.
Of Mice And Men, brilliant. Read twice and seen the film, also great.

Offline stampjones

Of Mice And Men, brilliant. Read twice and seen the film, also great.
Cannery Row is my favourite - the writing is just incredible. I actually took time on a trip to California to go and see the place

I agree with you though about being able to write in the margins of a book or marking certain pages. Even the index in non-fiction books is easy to navigate. All of these things ARE possible with a Kindle but it really doesn't feel the same and is a rather clunky experience

Bloody vandal!  :D

Offline Rick2468

Cannery Row is my favourite - the writing is just incredible. I actually took time on a trip to California to go and see the place

I bought Cannery Row. I am saving it for the spring / early summer. I think Steinbeck books read better when it's sunny outside it helps you get into the atmosphere and his descriptions of the Californian farmlands more. Although perhaps Cannery Row is a bit different.

Offline stevedave

Completely agree. Scott IS Rebus for me, great casting.

John Hannah was very much just an "on trend" casting.

Offline ulstersubbie

I bought Cannery Row. I am saving it for the spring / early summer. I think Steinbeck books read better when it's sunny outside it helps you get into the atmosphere and his descriptions of the Californian farmlands more. Although perhaps Cannery Row is a bit different.

Steinbeck was very adept at the short story as well. The Long Valley published in 1938 is a collection of twelve tales, some more entertaining than others. A good introduction to his work for those not overly familiar with the man.

Offline stampjones

Yeah I know what you mean. Its obviously set in a town but it still has that california feel so enjoy in the sunshine  :D

Offline Marmalade

Thanks for the info. Almost wondered if I might be missing something for a fraction of a millisecond!

I have one or two books in kindle format that I read on an iPad or laptop — mostly for absence of a print edition. I’ve found them useful for searching a particular phrase but clunky compared to a simple pdf (of which they seem to be merely a censored version to preserve copyright, which is ok). They seem to vary according to hypertext features but maybe that’s my limited understanding. (For instance, if I have a book with several pages corner-turned I can refer to them more or less simultaneously in print whereas I’d need a big screen to do that electronically.

I should mention that such ‘defilement’ of books is “ok” in the Luddite part of my brain, which is reserved for paperbacks of temporal merit. I would not desecrate a beautifully printed, treasured hardback.

One thing that might persuade me in the future — and if it has already been applied to these works let me know: wading through something like a Dune sequel where even a glossary — often not provided — is a specialist work in itself, a hyperlink popup with explanatory encyclopaedic entry would be useful. Someone binge-reading the whole series and using their memory wouldn’t want it, but it could be an unobtrusive feature for the more casual (critical?) reader.

Offline Marmalade

As a general criticism of Kindles, it will doubtless shock some users to be told you don’t actually own the books you have ‘bought’. It’s more like a long-term rental. A book lasts until the pages fall out, and even then, with care, can still be used, sold, given away or kept forever.

Books on a Kindle only last at the behest of Kindle, until (like phones) you are forced to buy a newer model or the software, which you have no control over, fucks you. The actual ‘books’ exist in some non-tangible ether or micro-relay which you only access by the grace of Amazon. Not your belongings.

Offline stampjones

As a general criticism of Kindles, it will doubtless shock some users to be told you don’t actually own the books you have ‘bought’. It’s more like a long-term rental. A book lasts until the pages fall out, and even then, with care, can still be used, sold, given away or kept forever.

Books on a Kindle only last at the behest of Kindle, until (like phones) you are forced to buy a newer model or the software, which you have no control over, fucks you. The actual ‘books’ exist in some non-tangible ether or micro-relay which you only access by the grace of Axxxxxx. Not your belongings.
Thats true - I discovered that a few weeks ago when they deleted a book I’d bought but hadnt gotten around to reading yet. It can also be very annoying if you’re a bit anal (like me) as to how your books are ordered as it will helpfully reorder them for you

Offline Aldebaran

Totally agree with that. Rebus of the books is a hard drinking scruff, not the clean cut type John Hannah portrayed. Stott was much more like the book version.

Offline Malvolio

I read Once There Was A War last year, which is a collection of the newspaper reports Steinbeck filed when he was embedded with the US Army in Europe in WW2.  Quite short, but his writing still stands up really well after all this time.  If you're interested in WW2 / social history, well worth checking out.  He tells the story of being on the troop ship crossing the Atlantic, and listening to two soldiers from Minnesota who haven't been out of the state before.  One of them says 'I've heard the water is salty all the way to the bottom of the ocean' - the other says 'You know that can't be true - there's nowhere near enough salt in the world for that to be true'.

Offline sir wanksalot

East of Eden remains one of the best books I have read in the last few years. Bloody brilliant!

It was actually recommended to me by one Zoe (of Sandy's fame) when WG's used to appear more often on this forum.

Offline A Decent Fist

My two-pennorth of recommendations:

The Lewis Trilogy by Peter May: a detective goes back to his roots in the Hebrides and uncovers no end of murder and mysteries.

The Spy and the Traitor by Ben McIntyre: This Cold War story about a KGB double agent is in the running for the best non-fiction I have ever read.

Detective Sean Duffy series by Adrian McKinty: Set in Northern Ireland with the Troubles casting a long shadow over every case. Every book named after a Tom Waits song, too.

All Or Nothing by Simon Spence: superb telling of the tragic life of Small Faces and Humble Pie singer Steve Marriott.

I listen to more audio books than I read physical ones, and currently keeping me company on my daily walks is External Link/Members Only, which will not be for everyone (transgender warning alert!)

Offline ulstersubbie

My two-pennorth of recommendations:

The Lewis Trilogy by Peter May: a detective goes back to his roots in the Hebrides and uncovers no end of murder and mysteries.

Fine choice. I really enjoyed this particular trilogy.

Offline ulstersubbie

A Cannibal In Manhattan by Tama Janowitz. Highly eccentric and vicious satire that takes a swipe at the in crowd that populate eighties New York.

Offline sir wanksalot

Just finished Billy Summers by Stephen King and found it disappointing......again.

I used to be a massive King fan when I was younger but either I changed or he did as I found the narrative in his later books would grate.

My interest was piqued in this book as he seems to be moving away from horror and more towards crime but again I find the story very simplistic. I'm waiting for a twist or turn to the story plot but it doesn't seem to happen.

Mr Mercedes received rave reviews on Amazon but I found the plot to be very bare.

He is a good writer who seems to easily adopt a tone that is just very pleasing to read. Sometimes he just absolutely nails it e.g. evocative memories of childhood in Stand By Me and It stay with me to this day.

Is everyone buying their books or do they just search for them on Google? Someone recommended External Link/Members Only to me but I still have plenty of books to get through before downloading anymore!

Offline ulstersubbie

Just finished Billy Summers by Stephen King and found it disappointing......again.

I used to be a massive King fan when I was younger but either I changed or he did as I found the narrative in his later books would grate.

My interest was piqued in this book as he seems to be moving away from horror and more towards crime but again I find the story very simplistic. I'm waiting for a twist or turn to the story plot but it doesn't seem to happen.

Mr Mercedes received rave reviews on Axxxxxx but I found the plot to be very bare.

He is a good writer who seems to easily adopt a tone that is just very pleasing to read. Sometimes he just absolutely nails it e.g. evocative memories of childhood in Stand By Me and It stay with me to this day.

Is everyone buying their books or do they just search for them on Google? Someone recommended External Link/Members Only to me but I still have plenty of books to get through before downloading anymore!

I've spoken to King fans over the years, many of them say he lost his mojo a long time ago. Perhaps he just isn't "fashionable" anymore, a new younger audience aren't really interested?