Sugar Babies
Shemales

Author Topic: Anyone able to advise me on "smartphones" from scratch?  (Read 616 times)

Offline WARSZAWA16

I appreciate that this is very Off Topic but I was wondering if anyone could please give me some very basic advice and guidance concerning "smartphones"?

It looks like in order to attend future sporting events, concerts, cinema, travel abroad etc. it will be a requirement to download various NHS Apps etc. thus the need for a "smartphone".

As a complete novice I am finding this a bit of a minefield and when speaking to the staff in shops all they seem to want to do is "upsell" me something I don't really need at a bigger cost as possible.

All I want to do is download the various necessary Apps, make the odd call, send a few texts and maybe briefly browse the internet. As a guide my current very basic mobile is still going strong since 2006 and I only spend about £40 a year on pay as you go with O2.

Any advice on the best deals etc. and how best to proceed would be greatly appreciated.

Suspect I will get some comments from some of our younger readers for asking what they will no doubt view as a silly question...  :D 

Offline radioman33

I’m no techno geek but I just bought a decent smartphone of amazon for £50 works fine,the shops try to sell you expensive contract,get PAYG one.

Offline mr.bluesky

I’m no techno geek but I just bought a decent smartphone of Axxxxxx for £50 works fine,the shops try to sell you expensive contract,get PAYG one.

I am a bit of a techno numpty but have recently changed my smartphone. I found the staff in my local tesco mobile shop very helpful.  :hi:
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 03:39:36 pm by mr.bluesky »

Offline The0neAnd0nly

Hey buddy,

If you want to keep your costs as low as possible you can get a unbranded or Chinese type phone with Android operating system on it. This will allow you to browse the web and install apps on it.

A decent second hand one could cost as low as £50 and you might be able to retain your current pay as you go yearly tariff (if phone compatible with sim card and it includes internet data already) easily.

If you are going into carphone warehouse/ o2 / Vodafone etc they will try and get you the latest and shinest brand new phone (around £1000 pounds) either part up front or as part of a 18/24 month contract.

For your needs you're probably better off going off into a local mobile phone shop that does repair and 2nd hand handsets and having a good chat with them as likely to be much more helpful.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 03:43:28 pm by The0neAnd0nly »

Offline LLPunting

If O2 gives you best connection for where you most often use your phone then stick with it.  No need to buy a contract "deal" to get a smartphone as most of the time it's a con.  If it turns out that 4G/5G connections where you most often are are better on another network then you only need to switch to another PAYG SIM.  Given you will be using "data" going forward you will need to find a new deal depending on how addicted you become to playing with t'Internet on the move, like constantly checking AW, VS and UKP!

A "sufficient" new handset could cost as little as 100-150 but if you're wanting some smooth response times and less likelihood of app crashes or sluggishness then you'll probably need to spend 250+ for the extra processing horsepower and memory.  This should also get you a (half) decent camera and screen.  I'm inferring from your post that you'd rather not just drop 1000+ on the brightest, shiniest thing from Apple or some Android flagship.

Best to wait and see what these apps turn out to be, we could be dished up with Apple-only (or even Android-only) options because of inept or commercially-driven decision making rather than ensuring equality of access beyond vaccination status.

You'll need to be clearer on what size of phone and screen you'd prefer and how long you'd like the battery to last, given any necessary lengths of time away from a power supply.  Also if you have any brand preference or dislikes.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 04:02:21 pm by LLPunting »

Offline radioman33

I am a bit of a techno numpty but have recently changed my smartphone. I found the staff in my local tesco mobile shop very helpful.  :hi:
Glad they helped you.By buying online you would have got it cheaper.

Offline Jonestown

External Link/Members Only

Giff Gaff have a wide range of refurbished phones available, for example they will sell you a iPhone 7 for £190, or a 6 for £140: they also have PAYG deals from £5/month.

Offline NelsonH

Loads of people have useable smart-phones just laying about, doing nothing.  Just ask about and somebody will give you one.

Offline tesla

It looks like in order to attend future sporting events, concerts, cinema, travel abroad etc. it will be a requirement to download various NHS Apps etc. thus the need for a "smartphone".

this is unlikely to happen as it is tech discrimination,
I am sure I heard on the today programme last week the NHS are working on a non app alternative

Offline Thephoenix

I appreciate that this is very Off Topic but I was wondering if anyone could please give me some very basic advice and guidance concerning "smartphones"?

As a complete novice I am finding this a bit of a minefield and when speaking to the staff in shops all they seem to want to do is "upsell" me something I don't really need at a bigger cost as possible.

All I want to do is download the various necessary Apps, make the odd call, send a few texts and maybe briefly browse the internet. As a guide my current very basic mobile is still going strong since 2006 and I only spend about £40 a year on pay as you go with O2

I was in exactly the same position a few months ago, still using a basic old mobile with PAYG with O2.

I went into O2, told them I wanted the cheapest new smart phone to buy outright.
They will almost certainly try and sell you a ridiculously expensive contract and insist you need the latest all singing and dancing  phone that all the other young people in the shop are drooling over.

Stick to your guns like I did, and bought a perfectly adequate Nokia smart phone for about £60.

I went online and arranged a separate monthly contract for £7 which gives me 500 mins calls, free texts and enough I/ net for my use.
The phone might not be this year's must have model, but I find it great, with a good camera and video.

ps... I'm an ol codger, so like to keep the technology simple and costs to a minimum

Offline blend57

Motorolas are pretty good if you do not want to spend a lot but still want a reputable brand. Nokia also do some good but cheapish smart phones.

Both have a reasonable reputation of keeping their phones system software up to date for a few years after purchase.

Offline Gordon Bennett

Buy an unlocked SIM-free Android phone from Argos. Try and get a "pure" or "stock" Android" sometimes called "Android One" phone - this is the cleanest/simplest version of Android with no other unnecessary stuff filling it up (often called bloatware). For instance, Samsung and Sony overlay various bloatware over the Android OS.
I'd avoid the bargain basement £50ish ones (Alba etc) they will be too slow and glitchy. You're best spending around £100 on a Nokia or Motorola.

Once you have the phone get a SIM from Lebara. They are rolling 30-day contracts so you're not tied in. They normally have first few months half-price so you could get a 10gb data allowance and unlimited texts/minutes for around a fiver per month. After a month or two you will understand your usage and maybe could change to a 2gb/3gb/5gb contract for a bit less.

After any initial half-price period I reckon you'll find £5/month contract (is £60 per annum) is better than PAYG unless you genuinely only touch the phone a few times per month. My guess is there will be occasions when you'll want to access maps, info, Google, out and about and you'll eat PAYG or be panicky about it. With contract you can just relax and know you're ok to use the phone without having a mental stopwatch going all the time.

Offline Xtro

Huawei are a decent phone IMO.

Looking at the Huawei P30 Lite New Edition myself, cheapest place I can see it is direct from Huawei @ £180 -

Offline winkywanky

Some good advice here.

My suggestion: a cheap (perhaps well loved, quality 2nd-hand off ebay) UNLOCKED (ie will work with any network) Android phone, and then get a SIM-only contract for a fiver a month. You can bring over your old number if you want, no problem these days, it's easy.

Put free Apps on it from the Google Play Store (when you go to download an App there will be a prompt to add your card details, simply press the box that says 'Skip').

Simples.

Offline LLPunting

Looking at the Huawei P30 Lite New Edition myself, cheapest place I can see it is direct from Huawei @ £180 -

The P30 is at least one generation out of date and the last of the brand to include Google Play right?  (That's the official Android app store)
Unless they try to skirt the rules with "updates" to other old lines anything new post 2020 will be without official Google support and integration.  Getting round this is possible but perhaps not for those who don't mess with smartphones as an interest.

Currently if you're after "officially supported" Chinese brands with latest chips and features then you would be better trying Xiao Mi (and its sub-brands) and there are a host of emergent brands currently not blacklisted by US Gov.

As mentioned above Motorola and Nokia are providing decent/ok choices too for only a few pounds more in each tier.  The cheaper models have been a bit sluggish though.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 09:04:03 pm by LLPunting »

Offline scutty brown

Plenty of choice of unlocked  phones for  ~£100 from Argos

Offline WelshMichael

You haven't mentioned budget, but assuming you don't want to break the bank something like this would be fine:

It will do everything you need and has clean and simple version of Android with guaranteed software updates (which is something other companies like Motorola don't offer). One thing to think about with Android phones is size, most have screens that are over six inches in size so they aren't exactly pocket friendly.

The simplest, cleanest option is the iPhone but unfortunately even their cheapest model is around the £400 mark.

Offline Xtro

The P30 is at least one generation out of date and the last of the brand to include Google Play right?  (That's the official Android app store)
Unless they try to skirt the rules with "updates" to other old lines anything new post 2020 will be without official Google support and integration.  Getting round this is possible but perhaps not for those who don't mess with smartphones as an interest.

Currently if you're after "officially supported" Chinese brands with latest chips and features then you would be better trying Xiao Mi (and its sub-brands) and there are a host of emergent brands currently not blacklisted by US Gov.

Great advice, cheers.   :drinks:

My current P30 (contract) is able to connect/download apps from the Play Store.   :thumbsup:

You haven't mentioned budget, but assuming you don't want to break the bank something like this would be fine:

It will do everything you need and has clean and simple version of Android with guaranteed software updates (which is something other companies like Motorola don't offer). One thing to think about with Android phones is size, most have screens that are over six inches in size so they aren't exactly pocket friendly.

The only thing putting me off of this is the resolution - 1560 x 720 pixels. But looks good otherwise.   :thumbsup:

« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 09:59:36 pm by Xtro »

Offline Aldebaran

To get the NHS app you need something running Android 8 or later, so a lot of older smart phones won't take it.
I got an Archos from Asda for £50 and it's a good phone, does most things and my version runs Android 8 so I should be OK

Offline Markus

I’d pick up an old iPhone 6s or later. Probably had for around the £100ish mark.  The ecosystem is easy to use and the software for the NHS will be available.  I’ve owned a lot of android devices and they have all sorts of software glitches which affect battery, camera etc.   Of course the more you pay the smoother these Android devices are but I had a Xiaomi phone and the software updates made the phone obsolete within 18 months.

Apple may have a closed off ecosystem but it’s a simple one and very basic to navigate.  You won’t have the fastest phone but it will do everything you want it to with relative ease. That’s my experience of them.

Offline robsmith149

I recently bought this from a 3 shop on pay as you go for £70, basic but decent.

Offline catweazle

Worth bearing in mind that newer Huawei phones don't have Google play support.

Offline Gordon Bennett

I recently bought this from a 3 shop on pay as you go for £70, basic but decent.

My punting phone's a Nokia 1, an earlier model of the above I think though. It's okay but no way get it on a contract, 24mths X £13 is ludicrous. Beyond that, I think for a main phone I'd be looking at the 2 or 3 series of Nokia.

I think going forwards it's likely OP will embrace the phone slightly more than just using the NHS app. Even my technophobe wife has started doing her shop in Sainsbury's using scan and go for instance... Pick up item, scan it on her phone, chuck item in her bag, "bip" her phone at scanner as she walks out the shop with no queuing/packing. As you do slightly more on the phone, the cheap/basic phones start getting a bit laggy and creaky.

Offline Cupid Stuntz

This one from Nokia seems to be a very good deal and it's an up to date new model too.

£84.99 from A______n but currently out of stock.

Offline lostandfound

I hadn't previously used EBay, but I've purchased a couple of 2nd hand phones off there with no problems. One for £30 (Windows phone just for punting) and a 2 year old iphone for £100, both in mint condition. I think I was lucky both times as due to model changes there were a lot of those phones coming off contract, bit I was very pleased with both of them, and surprised by their condition which was like new. So EBay worth considering IMO.

Offline WARSZAWA16

Just to say thanks very much for all of your helpful replies. Plenty of food for thought.  :thumbsup:

Offline LLPunting

If you're also looking for a punting phone alternative, try searching  "Zanco, smallest phone"   ;)
There's probably at least one place your OH won't find it.