Sugar Babies
Shemales

Author Topic: Uncommonly sensible article on prostitution  (Read 1008 times)

Online A Decent Fist

External Link/Members Only

Not too much to take issue with there. The same site has a contradictory article supporting the tired old Julie Bindel line but at least they’re giving both sides.

Offline berksboy

Yes a very good read and so true.

Offline Herts_Outcaller

If you criminalize a trade, you don't eliminate it, only put it in the hands of criminals. Sex work is the oldest profession, and they provide a use to society

Autopunter

I agree, but with the caveat you should never trust a feminist, even one who appears to be agreeing with you for the moment.

Offline Fuzzyduck

I agree, but with the caveat you should never trust a feminist, even one who appears to be agreeing with you for the moment.

...and particularly if they are giving you a blow job. :dance:

Thanks for the article OP, it was refreshing and intelligently written. Also interesting to see the other side of the argument. I thought SWOP did a good thing in bringing the issue out into the open. The moralists can bleat all they like but any support to women who make such choices is a good thing IMO. Although, I assuming the support wasn't about marketing, or maximising profits.

Offline Titti Tatti

If you criminalize a trade, you don't eliminate it, only put it in the hands of criminals.

It has often been said that the only lasting legacy of Prohibition in USA, is large scale organised crime.

Offline tynetunnel

An excellent article, thanks for sharing OP

Offline peter purves

As I was reading it reminded me of the thread entitled 'Can a WG be a feminist' or something like that

This doesn’t, of course, mean that we should ignore the issues that drive some women to sex work – we must tackle poverty and women’s lack of opportunities, and in particular the challenges facing single mums. And, yes, let’s tackle sex trafficking. But the way to do all of this is not to stamp on the lives of sex workers. That only makes all of these things worse.

We should always seek to widen women’s options, not close them down. And, at the very least, if you’re going to do the latter, admit that it is on the basis of your own moralism – of what you would or would not want for your own body. Don’t try to hide under the veil of feminism. No one who honestly believes in the feminist phrase “my body my choice” should be ignoring the most marginalised and stigmatised group of working women in our society.
Banned reason: Can't / won't take advice.
Banned by: daviemac

Offline peter purves

Now I am going to read the opposing view - back with you in a minute   ;)

Offline peter purves

Took longer than I thought it would.

Have to say I found the opposing view more thought-provoking because in a way it challenged thinking outside the box.

Framing ‘sex work’ as simply another choice young women make, like whether to major in political science or biology, misses the point. The conversation we should be having is not about whether or not women choose or enjoy prostitution, but why we live in a world in which it is acceptable for men to pay for it.

Offline Fuzzyduck

Took longer than I thought it would.

Have to say I found the opposing view more thought-provoking because in a way it challenged thinking outside the box.

Framing ‘sex work’ as simply another choice young women make, like whether to major in political science or biology, misses the point. The conversation we should be having is not about whether or not women choose or enjoy prostitution, but why we live in a world in which it is acceptable for men to pay for it.

Yes, she's very clear in her views, but it's easy make such aspirational statements. Her moral crusade completely ignores empowered woman who have made a choice to do this and blames others construct for not giving them a choice, e.g. she implies someone else (presumably the tax payer) should pony up to pay for the 1 in 6 female students who have thought about going on the game:

"If women have to perform sex acts for strange men in exchange for an education, society is broken. A supportive response to this reality — if indeed it is a reality ... ... — should not be to facilitate it, but to work to ensure women are able to access degrees without having to resort to selling sex"

She's not solving any problems.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 05:13:47 pm by Fuzzyduck »