Sugar Babies
Shemales

Author Topic: Improving the Advanced Search feature  (Read 2667 times)

Offline LLPunting

Admin,
Couldn't find an answer to this from before.

1)  What would be the difficulty to introduce a Search within Thread feature?

2)  Could you add a start and end date for a search or give the option for set windows of say 3 and 6 months?

Appreciate your time in answering.

Offline kuck

I just use google, like this:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=site%3Aukpunting.com+4515475

I don't meet the minimum criteria to look at all posts by a user here. Google to the rescue
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=site%3Aukpunting.com+llpunting

Offline LLPunting

I just use google, like this:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=site%3Aukpunting.com+4515475

I don't meet the minimum criteria to look at all posts by a user here. Google to the rescue
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=site%3Aukpunting.com+llpunting

Fer-REEKIN Genius!  Thanks man, you are a wizard.   :drinks:

Offline kuck

OldAdmin

I added the time but unsure about limiting to just 1 thread.

Offline LLPunting

I added the time but unsure about limiting to just 1 thread.

Oh you is a SAINT!   :drinks:

Offline G.Raff

I suggest a "sort by date" feature too.

OldAdmin

That's already there - Sort by "Newest" or "Oldest" options.

Offline kuck

I've created a codepen that lets you search a ukpunting thread using google

External Link/Members Only

Not the friendliest interface, but I hope you find it useful.

Offline magnetico

Interesting code kuck, I enjoyed reading it  :thumbsup:

vw

1)  What would be the difficulty to introduce a Search within Thread feature?

I prefer to press Ctrl f on chrome then search

Offline NightKid

Will this help find all posts within a thread which contains the same keyword, like a unique alphanumeric code for example?

If so, it could be a godsend for searching profile links in the SA thread.

Offline magnetico

SA thread isn't indexed by Google  :thumbsdown:

Offline NightKid

SA thread isn't indexed by Google  :thumbsdown:

Hmmm, well this thread has now been stickied so perhaps Admin might have some plans on improving UKP's internal search indexing as part of the improvement that's been hinted at before?  :angelgirl:

Offline LLPunting

Thanks to Admin.  :drinks:

I asked Admin if it was worth this thread be stickied for a little while so that all readers would be aware of the search tips and enhancements mentioned.  These enable punters to do far better research than before and so there is even less excuse for posting lazy pleas for help.

Thanks to Kuck for being even more of a leg end and creating the codepen for those who couldn't cope without it.   :drinks:

InstaPunt

Thanks to Admin.  :drinks:

I asked Admin if it was worth this thread be stickied for a little while so that all readers would be aware of the search tips and enhancements mentioned.  These enable punters to do far better research than before and so there is even less excuse for posting lazy pleas for help.

Thanks to Kuck for being even more of a leg end and creating the codepen for those who couldn't cope without it.   :drinks:

Great feature the advanced search, but never noticed the until I first saw this thread, usually use mobile. Might be an idea to use some CSS so it’s more noticeable to others?

Offline jok32

Suggested this months ago, but can the default search (the search box in top right) please use NEWEST rather than MOST RELEVANT?
I imagine most people would rather want the newest results on top rather than reports from 2015
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 09:59:44 pm by jok32 »

Offline magnetico

Suggested this months ago, but can the default search (the search box in top right) please use NEWEST rather than MOST RELEVANT?
I imagine most people would rather want the newest results on top rather than reports from 2015

This is my dream as well ♥

Online daviemac

• Board Moderator
  • Reviews: 24

Use the advanced search and select newest along with the region you want to search.

Offline jok32

Use the advanced search and select newest along with the region you want to search.
That's how I and everyone else is doing it at the moment, which increases server load from the extra clicks and criteria.
How many people actually would want the basic search to NOT filter by newest should be the real question.

Offline LLPunting

Given a recent reviewee has just changed her name it seemed apposite to remind all the noobs:

ALWAYS search by AW ID no. first

Offline LLPunting

Hi Kuck and other codeheads,
I was trying to use this to review my posts in massage mini-review thread over the past year and noticed the results don't include anything in the last 2 weeks and sometimes don't go all the way back to the beginning of the year or, if I sort by date, aren't listed in date order.  Any clues as to what's going wrong?  I'm thinking something dodgy in Google returns rather than the way the codepen (or advanced search) is submitting the query (llpunting 139562)

Thanks in advance for your insight  :drinks:

Offline kuck

Hi Kuck and other codeheads,
I was trying to use this to review my posts in massage mini-review thread over the past year and noticed the results don't include anything in the last 2 weeks and sometimes don't go all the way back to the beginning of the year or, if I sort by date, aren't listed in date order.  Any clues as to what's going wrong?  I'm thinking something dodgy in Google returns rather than the way the codepen (or advanced search) is submitting the query (llpunting 139562)

Thanks in advance for your insight  :drinks:

Hi Llpunting, seems Google isn't indexing fast enough, or ignoring some pages. In this thread, they only have two matches for the last month - https://www.google.com/search?q=site:ukpunting.com+inurl:139562+llpunting&tbs=qdr:m

Offline LLPunting

Hi Llpunting, seems Google isn't indexing fast enough, or ignoring some pages. In this thread, they only have two matches for the last month - https://www.google.com/search?q=site:ukpunting.com+inurl:139562+llpunting&tbs=qdr:m

Seems UKP isn't famous enough for daily updates! 

That said, the searches I've done are missing results from the beginning of past time periods and if you change the display order results disappear.  Google is not your friend.

Any chance you know how to use Bing or DDG to search UKP in similar ways (hoping they'll be more thorough)?
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 01:25:20 am by LLPunting »

Offline magnetico

I guess that Google can't fully index UKP as there's no sitemap.xml on UKP

Offline kuck

Seems UKP isn't famous enough for daily updates! 

That said, the searches I've done are missing results from the beginning of past time periods and if you change the display order results disappear.  Google is not your friend.

Any chance you know how to use Bing or DDG to search UKP in similar ways (hoping they'll be more thorough)?

Seems crawling is disallowed for all but google https://www.ukpunting.com/robots.txt
Looks like it is a deliberate decision by admin.

Offline LLPunting

Seems crawling is disallowed for all but google https://www.ukpunting.com/robots.txt
Looks like it is a deliberate decision by admin.

Thanks for that revelation.  :drinks:

Hope there isn't a problem with site being crawled.

Offline LLPunting

@Kuck, Magnetico and other coders.

Also seeking blessing of new Management.

It appears that Google's crawling of the threads to index them has pretty much crapped out as it's either missing all entries from the most recents months or it has inconsistently captured entries further back.

Would it be possible  to create a function like Kuck's previously posted code pen that would:

1) Accept the thread id
2) Accept the search words (multiple ors. multiple ands, mix of ands and ors, possibly don'ts too using usual operators + and - preceding each word)
3) Ask for earliest date or number (x) of pages to search back through
4) Page back through the thread x pages or until it reaches the date from 3) and temporarily store them
5) Search this temporary db for the words in 2)
6) return list of the post links to matches.

Appreciate your comments on plausibility and difficulties or obstructions.

Cheers

Offline kuck

Looks like the sitemap hasn't been generated after 19 June. https://www.ukpunting.com/sitemap-index.xml

Perhaps new admin hasn't turned on the cron job that generates sitemaps?

Offline LLPunting

Looks like the sitemap hasn't been generated after 19 June. https://www.ukpunting.com/sitemap-index.xml

Perhaps new admin hasn't turned on the cron job that generates sitemaps?

Probably another thing they won't want to tinker with before getting the rest of the site back in order.

Your thought's on my suggestion?

Offline kuck

@llpunting - That'd need all threads to be scraped and put into a search index (temporary db, as you call it). This will need to run somewhere, and have access to all threads, not a trivial task.

It'd be much easier to fix the sitemap generation.

Offline LLPunting

@llpunting - That'd need all threads to be scraped and put into a search index (temporary db, as you call it). This will need to run somewhere, and have access to all threads, not a trivial task.

It'd be much easier to fix the sitemap generation.

Thanks.

So not possible to automate a separate client browser session to page thru a thread and save the data locally or in memory until it's discarded?  Obviously some security exception(s) would have to be allowed by us the users to pop up the session.  Could limit the search to a max amount of time or pages.