Sugar Babies
Shemales

Author Topic: Jimmy Greaves R.I.P.  (Read 436 times)

Offline WARSZAWA16

Just said on the radio that Jimmy Greaves has died aged 81. Very sad news. Such a great goalscorer. Some of his goals here:

External Link/Members Only
« Last Edit: September 19, 2021, 10:22:03 am by WARSZAWA16 »

Offline Nickoname1

A proper legend (that word is used too often these days).

Probably a release for him given his bad stroke. Uncanny timing with Spurs v Chelsea today. RIP Greavesie. It's a funny old game.

Offline george r

only just heard this very sad news, fantastic goal  scorer, scored on his debut for every club he played for, saw him score for west ham on his debut against city many moons ago...a legend, very funny in saint and greavesie  yrs later..
« Last Edit: September 19, 2021, 10:37:55 am by george r »

Offline PunterNumber69

A merciful release after his strokes. Seemed like a very nice man. RIP

Offline ulstersubbie

My father saw him play for Spurs and rated him very highly. A proper centre forward who scored goals for fun, just wish he had been born north of the border!

RIP Greavsie.

Offline binbag

He usually played inside forward. Dont think he was ever a centre forward. I saw him play for Tottenham, West Ham  and England  - opponents always seemed to get nervous when he had the ball. He could make a scoring chance appear out of nowhere. It was fun watching him. I think he was one of the first UK players to go to Italy

Offline mr.bluesky

Sad news. A great player and prolific goalscorer.  Got injured in the 1966 World Cup tournament so missed out playing in the final stages. His place taken by a certain Geoff Hurst. The rest they say is history.

Offline mr.bluesky

He usually played inside forward. Dont think he was ever a centre forward. I saw him play for Tottenham, West Ham  and England  - opponents always seemed to get nervous when he had the ball. He could make a scoring chance appear out of nowhere. It was fun watching him. I think he was one of the first UK players to go to Italy

Yes went to AC Milan but never really settled there.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2021, 12:32:35 pm by mr.bluesky »

Offline Blackpool Rock

Probably a release for him given his bad stroke. Uncanny timing with Spurs v Chelsea today. RIP Greavesie. It's a funny old game.
Yes I thought that too.

Never realised how good his record actually was, wonder what people would make of him if he was playing in his prime these days and what his transfer fee would be £100M +  :unknown:

44 goals in 57 games for England, class strike rate  :hi: and he liked a beer or three so i'll just say cheers Greavsie  :drinks:

External Link/Members Only

Offline Thephoenix

A big fan of Jimmy Greaves, apart from when he scored 4 against the great 1963 Liverpool team including his mate Ian StJohn. Took some doing getting past Tommy Smith and Ron yeats.

Hidden Image/Members Only

He was always the joker, on and off the field. He would have fitted in well with today's style of play and perfect playing surfaces.
He admitted later that he moved to AC Milan for the money.......£7,000 - £8,000 a year.

Hidden Image/Members Only
« Last Edit: September 19, 2021, 02:29:06 pm by Thephoenix »

Offline Lou2019

• Service Provider

agree, not many will be worthy to be called a legend anymore, end of an era

Offline southcoastpunter

Sad news indeed. The first professional football game i saw (as a very young lad) was when my dad took me to the Dell (southampton) particularly to see Jummy playing for Spurs against Southampton. My dad wasn't a great football fan but was a fan of Jimmy. So was i at the end of the game!
« Last Edit: September 19, 2021, 03:13:35 pm by southcoastpunter »

Online willie loman

enjoyed watching him and ian st john on their show, great player as well.

Offline Kingy28

enjoyed watching him and ian st john on their show, great player as well.
A great player & came over in interview as a really nice man too. The Greavsie documentary on BT sport is well worth a watch. RIP

Offline Markus

I remember a quote from him ‘I once went through a scoring dry spell, it was the worst 30 minutes of my life’

Class both on and off the pitch

RIP

Offline tynetunnel

I had the pleasure of knowing this wonderful man quite well, back in the 90’s. In my experience a quiet, unassuming man who despite his obvious fame, in public retained an air of humility. He really was a lovely guy. I was sorry to learn of his failing health over the last few years, and now to learn of his death.

R.I.P. Jimmy

Offline king tarzan

What a phenomenal record.. that says it all⚽⚽⚽⚽⚽⚽⚽⚽⚽⚽⚽⚽⚽⚽⚽⚽⚽⚽⚽⚽⚽⚽⚽⚽⚽⚽⚽⚽⚽⚽⚽⚽⚽⚽⚽⚽
Banned reason: Misogynist who gets free bookings from agencies for pos reviews.
Banned by: daviemac

Offline MKJoseph

I saw him make his debut for Chelsea against Spurs in ‘57 and then for Spurs in ‘61. Scored both times. He had a completely natural gift, so quick, aware and deadly in the box. He didn’t like running about, didnt like training, didn’t tackle, he reckoned he should save his energy for Saturday and attacking. Unfortunately most of his goals weren’t televised so we have a limited legacy. We won’t see his like again.
Apparently he forgot himself one day at Anfield and tackled Tommy Smith. Being unused to tackling he missed the ball and got Tommy instead. Greaves was beside himself as he had to spend the rest of the match running about to keep out of Tommy’s way!

Offline Razor Boy

Great personal blow for him to miss out on the 1966 Workd Cup win.
He was twice the player Hurst ever was and would have ripped defences apart today on the pitches the current generation play on. Made goal scoring look so easy, total legend and that’s coming from a Gooner.
RIP Greavsie.