Sugar Babies
Shemales

Author Topic: Two Pints of Lager and a Packet of Crisps  (Read 1552 times)

Offline puntingking

I have been watching this on reruns on BBC iplayer.
I use to watch this on bbc3.
I been laughing back again at the comedy scenes of the cast.
I could not remember me watching it until I saw it on BBC iplayer and then it triggered memories from 20 years ago when it was on. The first series started in 2001 and it carried on for around ten series and as all good things do it came to an end.

Did anyone else use to watch this Sitcom? What did you make of it? I doubt it would get made today in these pc times as some scenes would be seen as being inappropriate for modern audiences I can imagine.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 08:27:52 pm by puntingking »

Offline David1970

Thought it was a great series, watched original series on TV and again on iPlayer  :thumbsup:

Offline SoapyTW

Yeah - that was a great series. I really fancied Sheridan Smith and Kathryn Drysdale at the time. Just looked them both up. I'll pass on Sheridan, but Kathryn still has it.

Offline sparkus

Not for me (like Game On and Early Doors) but a great novelty song a la Jilted John.

Offline Trex

Me and my brother are big fans. My fav characters are Gaz and Munch. I hope one day they can bring it back for one more season  :thumbsup:

Offline puntingking

Yeah - that was a great series. I really fancied Sheridan Smith and Kathryn Drysdale at the time. Just looked them both up. I'll pass on Sheridan, but Kathryn still has it.

janet (Sheridan) and  Natalie  were the 2 girls that i fancied from the cast. I did not fancy Louise (Kathyrn) at the time.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2021, 10:36:01 pm by puntingking »

Online mr.bluesky

Never thought much of it to be honest. Only worth watching to see a young Sheridan Smith. A bit like "The young ones" always thought that was overated too  :unknown:

Offline puntingking

Never thought much of it to be honest. Only worth watching to see a young Sheridan Smith. A bit like "The young ones" always thought that was overated too  :unknown:

Oh really 

I found some bits utterly hilarious  :lol:

But its OK. Atleast you said that you watch bits of it because of Sheridan Smith. She was hot in it  :thumbsup:
« Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 05:47:55 am by puntingking »

Offline ShadowProclamation

I never got into BBC3 in a big way, but this was a fairly entertaining comedy. It went on a few series too long. I seem to remember the main cast changing towards the end and it felt like watching a different show.  :drinks: and an emoji eating crisps.

Offline regenmeister

I thought Natalie Casey was very sexy and the show could be very funny at times

Offline Gordon Bennett

I totally missed this show, but I do have a 10-yr period when I saw very little telly so it might have been on then. I actually thought thread was going to be about the Splodgenessabounds song and I thought "that's a bit leftfield, I'll have to have a look at that".

Offline cideruk

Game On

Watched The Thin Red Line recently and thought 'that's him out of Game On (with the very fuckable Samantha Janus (rhymes with anus)

Offline puntingking

I thought Natalie Casey was very sexy and the show could be very funny at times

I agree. I don't mean to sound sexist but I was surprised to learn that a woman invented the sitcom. I think her name was Susan.

In my experience of watching comedy films, sitcoms and stand up comedy men seemed to be the better gender at inventing comedy.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 02:46:51 pm by puntingking »

Offline SoapyTW

Watched The Thin Red Line recently and thought 'that's him out of Game On (with the very fuckable Samantha Janus (rhymes with anus)

This FHM cover of Samantha Janus always made me laugh. 'Fill her up' - right by the J'anus

Hidden Image/Members Only
« Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 03:38:14 pm by SoapyTW »

Offline lostandfound

This FHM cover of Samantha Janus always made me laugh. 'Fill her up' - right by the J'anus

Always get her mixed up with Sarah Alexander.

2 pints was fun back in the day, for its lack of pretentiousness.

Offline CoolTiger

• Forum Moderator
  • Reviews: 10

Matthew Cottle
External Link/Members Only

Neil Stuke

Thin Red Line (1998)

Couldn't find either in Thin Red Line. Have I got the right movie?

Offline Blackpool Rock

2 pints was fun back in the day, for its lack of pretentiousness.
Yeah easy to mix up at 1st glance, Sarah Alexander was in a series called Coupling which I found funny, thought it was very well observed and written

Offline Whore Master

With you on Kathryn Drysdale. She's still got a cracking pair of little tits! How I'd love to spunk on them!
Banned reason: Posting inappropriate links / threats.
Banned by: daviemac

Online robsmith149

Matthew Cottle

Neil Stuke

Thin Red Line (1998)

Couldn't find either in Thin Red Line. Have I got the right movie?
Ben Chaplin was in the 1st series before Stuke took over.

Offline Ali Katt

• Forum Moderator
  • Reviews: 28
I thought it was like if Hollyoaks did a sitcom. It came out in 2001 far better options back then: league of gentlemen, fast show, I'm Alan Partridge, black books, Simpsons before it went woke, Futurama, coupling which gets a lot of hate but I liked, last few series of Frasier. It really is sad when you look at comedy 20 years later I doubt the BBC could find enough comedy to fill a few hours on Friday night now beyond crap panel shows like mock the week and QI that have had their day.

I thought it was ok, but like birds of a feather it just seemed a bit obvious. That said it was better than the rip off with teenagers. What was that called? Coming of age? Also wouldn't be made today as lad and ladette culture isn't really a thing anymore.

Offline Ali Katt

• Forum Moderator
Ben Chaplin was in the 1st series before Stuke took over.
Ben Chaplin is a fine actor, but it was way funnier when he left. A bit like Men Behaving Badly when Harry Enfield left and Neil Morrissey took over as Tony.

Offline cideruk

Janus curvier and more shagable imho

Offline cideruk

I thought it was like if Hollyoaks did a sitcom. It came out in 2001 far better options back then: league of gentlemen, fast show, I'm Alan Partridge, black books, Simpsons before it went woke, Futurama, coupling which gets a lot of hate but I liked, last few series of Frasier. It really is sad when you look at comedy 20 years later I doubt the BBC could find enough comedy to fill a few hours on Friday night now beyond crap panel shows like mock the week and QI that have had their day.

I thought it was ok, but like birds of a feather it just seemed a bit obvious. That said it was better than the rip off with teenagers. What was that called? Coming of age? Also wouldn't be made today as lad and ladette culture isn't really a thing anymore.

I still enjoy QI have to admit. But yes BBC's output has plummeted for sure.

Recently re watched Green Wing, that was a bonkers show but enjoyable

Offline Ali Katt

• Forum Moderator
I still enjoy QI have to admit. But yes BBC's output has plummeted for sure.

Recently re watched Green Wing, that was a bonkers show but enjoyable
That's fair. I know a lot of people love QI, it's just not for me. It should have stopped when Fry left IMHO. Green Wing is fun, I know a lot of people who loved it at the time. It's sad looking back even back then at comedy. Nathan Barley, Nighty Night, 8 out of 10 cats when it was good.

Offline cideruk

8 out of 10 does Countdown - Rachel Riley always wears shorter dresses than on proper Countdown

QI takes our family ages to watch as I am always pausing it to discuss the things they cover with my son - he's a proper geek / nerd

Just shows how crap current output is when virtually all the memorable catchphrases are from old shows

Suits You
Loadsa Money
It's a Lacroix sweetie
Cunning plan
Scorchio
etc

Offline Trex

That said it was better than the rip off with teenagers. What was that called? Coming of age? Also wouldn't be made today as lad and ladette culture isn't really a thing anymore.

Coming of age was good at the start but got old very fast.

Offline Trex

Two pints went down hill when Johnny got killed. I bet the writers Regret that decision because the show has a big cult following.

Offline sparkus

That's fair. I know a lot of people love QI, it's just not for me. It should have stopped when Fry left IMHO. Green Wing is fun, I know a lot of people who loved it at the time. It's sad looking back even back then at comedy. Nathan Barley, Nighty Night, 8 out of 10 cats when it was good.

Well weapon! (I was in Dalston this morning, you still see the odd clone about)

The Beeb actually nurtured comic talent after the war, writing teams were about to develop ideas and build up followings for what we now regard as landmark telly.  Even their rejected ideas got picked up by ITV.

I met a bloke a couple of years back who'd written one BBC sitcom (so forgettable I forget which) and was left pulling pints for a living as it didn't get picked up for a second series.  Even stuff we'd regard as classics were slow burners to begin with.

Consider how quotable Alan Partridge was back then and compare it to what was on BBC1 last night for 'This Time'.

Offline Ali Katt

• Forum Moderator
Well weapon! (I was in Dalston this morning, you still see the odd clone about)

The Beeb actually nurtured comic talent after the war, writing teams were about to develop ideas and build up followings for what we now regard as landmark telly.  Even their rejected ideas got picked up by ITV.

I met a bloke a couple of years back who'd written one BBC sitcom (so forgettable I forget which) and was left pulling pints for a living as it didn't get picked up for a second series.  Even stuff we'd regard as classics were slow burners to begin with.

Consider how quotable Alan Partridge was back then and compare it to what was on BBC1 last night for 'This Time'.

A lot of the writing team went on to bigger things: Armando Iannucci, Patrick Marber, Lee and Herring (if you believe they created the character and their feud with Marber was fucking hilarious), Peter Baynham  who went onto work with Sacha Baron Cohen on his films, David Quantick who I think fixes scripts more than anything, but has worked on some crackers.

Speaking of BBC nurturing talent, they seem happy to show Dad's Army, but won't even mention It Ain't Half Hot Mum which was by Perry & Croft and probably a bit more personal to them.

Offline sparkus

A lot of the writing team went on to bigger things: Armando Iannucci, Patrick Marber, Lee and Herring (if you believe they created the character and their feud with Marber was fucking hilarious), Peter Baynham  who went onto work with Sacha Baron Cohen on his films, David Quantick who I think fixes scripts more than anything, but has worked on some crackers.

Speaking of BBC nurturing talent, they seem happy to show Dad's Army, but won't even mention It Ain't Half Hot Mum which was by Perry & Croft and probably a bit more personal to them.

That's very true, tbh the decline with Partridge started when Coogan was churning out those series for Sky (and the film was a let down too).  The Places of My Life was quite good though, felt like the originals (though I did spot some continuity errors).  This Time though just seems to have very little character development or much to riff on from the others in the programme and the perpetually unfunny Tim Key is a dead weight on it too.

The series written by Croft are embedded in the national consciousness.  Allo Allo was so popular it wouldn't die, audiences clamoured for series even when actors weren't available to make them anymore.

Offline Ali Katt

• Forum Moderator
That's very true, tbh the decline with Partridge started when Coogan was churning out those series for Sky (and the film was a let down too).  The Places of My Life was quite good though, felt like the originals (though I did spot some continuity errors).  This Time though just seems to have very little character development or much to riff on from the others in the programme and the perpetually unfunny Tim Key is a dead weight on it too.

The series written by Croft are embedded in the national consciousness.  Allo Allo was so popular it wouldn't die, audiences clamoured for series even when actors weren't available to make them anymore.
Tim Key gets a lot of stick I don't mind him. He's just trying to make a career. Honestly I think the Paul Calf character was the best thing he ever did, also proceeds programmes like Shameless by decades. This Time was basically a spoof of the One Show, pretty much a filler because they weren't sure what to do with the character next.

With Perry & Croft, even if stuff like Hi De Hi was hit and miss regardless of class people could relate to it. They knew those people, a bit like Only Fools; Del Boy became synonymous with wideboys and rogue traders. I think Peep Show was the last show that truly nailed it, but I've not seen stuff like Catastrophe, Chewing Gum and Derry Girls.

Offline sparkus

Tim Key gets a lot of stick I don't mind him. He's just trying to make a career. Honestly I think the Paul Calf character was the best thing he ever did, also proceeds programmes like Shameless by decades. This Time was basically a spoof of the One Show, pretty much a filler because they weren't sure what to do with the character next.

With Perry & Croft, even if stuff like Hi De Hi was hit and miss regardless of class people could relate to it. They knew those people, a bit like Only Fools; Del Boy became synonymous with wideboys and rogue traders. I think Peep Show was the last show that truly nailed it, but I've not seen stuff like Catastrophe, Chewing Gum and Derry Girls.

Tim Key just seems to play the same dorky Middle England character regardless of the role.  I remember Paul Calf well as they first showed it NYE when I was stuck at home ill that year, he's not really lauded for it but it's an inspired character (apparently modelled on a workmate from a factory summer job at uni).  It's not really shown much or easily available.  Most of his other creations (Duncan Thickett, Saxondale etc.) didn't really connect.

Hi De Hi was quite watchable and astute social comedy, it's just a pity they kept assembling the cast for less funny spin-offs which outstayed their welcome (a bit like Goodnight Sweetheart which just wouldn't end).

Yes, Peep Show absolutely nailed it and passes a crucial sniff test for me if my 14 year old nephew is into it and randomly sends me YouTube clips all the time.

The Inbetweeners certainly had its moments, I don't think it's as much great writing as actors who got under the skin of the roles and what was asked of them.  Even Greg Davies is good in it.

Offline cideruk

Guess because it is a lot safer (bit like Good Life) than a lot of the un PC stuff of that era

Mind your language
Love they neighbour
In sickness and in health
Rising Damp
Ripping Yarns
Spike Milligan Q

But there are classic stuff that is safe - Reggie Perrin, Likely Lads for example

Which reminds me, surely one of the best writers of all time have to be Clements and La Frenais - Porridge still works to this day.

Offline sparkus

Should also point out that Susannah Fielding who plays Partridge's co-presenter on This Time is FAF, easily the fittest female of the Partridge canon.

Offline cideruk

The Inbetweeners certainly had its moments, I don't think it's as much great writing as actors who got under the skin of the roles and what was asked of them.  Even Greg Davies is good in it.

I'd expect those that were a similar age to the characters were when they first saw it will remember it as a classic in much the same way I did re Young Ones

Bus Wanker and Bumder up there with Patridge's A-Ha and for example

Offline sparkus

Guess because it is a lot safer (bit like Good Life) than a lot of the un PC stuff of that era

Mind your language
Love they neighbour
In sickness and in health
Rising Damp
Ripping Yarns
Spike Milligan Q

But there are classic stuff that is safe - Reggie Perrin, Likely Lads for example

Which reminds me, surely one of the best writers of all time have to be Clements and La Frenais - Porridge still works to this day.

Reginald Perrin has been shown on BBC4 recently, 'Rising Damp' does get repeats on one of those Yesteryear channels on freeview.

'Love Thy Neighbour' punched down far too much and wasn't much fun in the school playground the next day for anyone not white by all accounts.

Alf Garnett was revived not long back but Simon Day couldn't pull it off.

Not sure anyone would clamour for a showing of 'Curry and Chips'.

Offline cideruk

Should also point out that Susannah Fielding who plays Partridge's co-presenter on This Time is FAF, easily the fittest female of the Partridge canon.

Fittest comedienne, Pamela Stephenson ??

Offline cideruk

Reginald Perrin has been shown on BBC4 recently

Bugger, didn't know that, I didn't get where I am today without knowing when good comedy was on BBC4

Yes have seen Rising Damp occasionally, but surprised as Rigsby was definitely a bigot (but bit like Alf Garnett, the racist was the butt of the joke)

Offline Ali Katt

• Forum Moderator
Reginald Perrin has been shown on BBC4 recently, 'Rising Damp' does get repeats on one of those Yesteryear channels on freeview.

'Love Thy Neighbour' punched down far too much and wasn't much fun in the school playground the next day for anyone not white by all accounts.

Alf Garnett was revived not long back but Simon Day couldn't pull it off.

Not sure anyone would clamour for a showing of 'Curry and Chips'.
Another one which doesn't get shown Channel 4's TV Offal. I can't think why? 

Offline sparkus

Another one which doesn't get shown Channel 4's TV Offal. I can't think why?

Yes, that was brilliant.

Online mr.bluesky

I'd expect those that were a similar age to the characters were when they first saw it will remember it as a classic in much the same way I did re Young Ones

Bus Wanker and Bumder up there with Patridge's A-Ha and for example

"Clunge"  is the best word to come from this comedy  :lol:

Offline puntingking

Two pints went down hill when Johnny got killed. I bet the writers Regret that decision because the show has a big cult following.

I can't remember watching the full series. I have started watching the full series again from series 1 right away through to series 9 which I believe is to be the final series. I am up to series 4 so far.   :drinks:
« Last Edit: May 02, 2021, 06:18:42 am by puntingking »

Offline Blackpool Rock

Dads Army is perhaps a bit safer and has a lot of sayings still used quite commonly like the classic "Don't tell him pike", Corporal Jones making reference to Fuzzy Wuzzies a few times is possibly the only thing which people may be offended (or choose to be offended) by.

It Ain't half hot Mum had continual references by Windsor Davies to them just being "Poofs" which TBF probably hasn't stood the test of time and would no doubt shock and enrage people in 2021.
And then of course there is also Michael Bates who blacks up to play an Indian character Rangi Ram which would probably kill off a few snowflakes  :scare:

As already mentioned there are some classics mentioned here such as Dad's Army; Only Fools & Horses; Porridge and The likely lads but no doubt there was also a lot of long forgotten crap produced too before the diamonds shone through.
Not sure about the others but Dad's Army almost didn't get made as the pilot bombed in front of an audience who simply didn't get it, strings had to be pulled to actually get a series made.
Think it was similar with Only Fools which struggled to get a 2nd series and I don't think was actually that popular to begin with but once the ball got rolling it just gathered speed, Lovely Jubbly  :drinks:   

Offline Ali Katt

• Forum Moderator
Dads Army is perhaps a bit safer and has a lot of sayings still used quite commonly like the classic "Don't tell him pike", Corporal Jones making reference to Fuzzy Wuzzies a few times is possibly the only thing which people may be offended (or choose to be offended) by.

It Ain't half hot Mum had continual references by Windsor Davies to them just being "Poofs" which TBF probably hasn't stood the test of time and would no doubt shock and enrage people in 2021.
And then of course there is also Michael Bates who blacks up to play an Indian character Rangi Ram which would probably kill off a few snowflakes  :scare:

As already mentioned there are some classics mentioned here such as Dad's Army; Only Fools & Horses; Porridge and The likely lads but no doubt there was also a lot of long forgotten crap produced too before the diamonds shone through.
Not sure about the others but Dad's Army almost didn't get made as the pilot bombed in front of an audience who simply didn't get it, strings had to be pulled to actually get a series made.
Think it was similar with Only Fools which struggled to get a 2nd series and I don't think was actually that popular to begin with but once the ball got rolling it just gathered speed, Lovely Jubbly  :drinks:   
Likewise I forgot the early Only Fools were edited for references to West Indies people. It is interesting loads of series wouldn't have got off the ground. Loads of rubbish for every Porridge.

Offline sparkus

Likewise I forgot the early Only Fools were edited for references to West Indies people. It is interesting loads of series wouldn't have got off the ground. Loads of rubbish for every Porridge.

There's some low grade casual racism against Indians in Only Fools but personally I think it should be left in for context.  It's rubbish and not funny but I'd like to hope audiences are mature enough to make their own minds up and not need 'protecting'.

I don't understand how anyone could be offended by the famous segment in the Likely Lads about the pros and cons of various nationalities:

Offline smiths

I recall the episode of Two Pints where the women were dressed in Lingerie in a homage to the song Lady Marmalade and some US singers had done a newer version of it. Not a fave comedy of mine but not bad.

Offline smiths

Ben Chaplin is a fine actor, but it was way funnier when he left. A bit like Men Behaving Badly when Harry Enfield left and Neil Morrissey took over as Tony.

I agree, I didn't rate the first series of Game On, it got infinitely better when Stuke took over. The episode where he plays war games inside his flat for the door was hilarious I thought. Plus Samantha Janus looking stunning was in it, though the skin wasn't always great on her face.

Offline The Film Director

[quote author=sparkus link=topic=305824.msg3204551#msg3204551 date=1619950984

I don't understand how anyone could be offended by the famous segment in the Likely Lads about the pros and cons of various nationalities:

[/quote]

One of the funniest scenes in all comedy, I would say.  :thumbsup:

Offline sparkus

One of the funniest scenes in all comedy, I would say.  :thumbsup:

Though James Bowlam did act a bit of a cunt to Rodney Bewes in later life and blocked TV repeats of the show, which hurt the work-less actor financially  :thumbsdown: