Sugar Babies
Shemales

Author Topic: 'Why are so many nurses fat?'  (Read 1582 times)

Offline sparkus

Offline sub_marine

The weird shift patterns they do, thinks it's 3 days of 13h days, 3 days off then 3 nights of 13h then 4 days off.  Hard to get any regular gym routine in or join any sports clubs with that rota.  Plus if you finish a shift tired, just food is often the quickest to eat

Offline thekingreturns

Been on a few dates recently with a nurse and although not slim she is in no means fat.. but she said she wants to lose weight but due to work its hard to have a decent diet. Said she finds herself snacking at work and not a proper meal

Offline j_181

From the article: "I doubt if there are any statistics on this subject, but perhaps there should be"

Lmao. "I haven't bothered to check, but I'll say it anyway..."

Not to be taken seriously in any case, charles moore is a poundshop katie hopkins. Will just say whatever he thinks is "controversial" to generate advertising clicks. He wouldn't know a good faith argument if it slapped him in the face

Offline Chorley

It's a typical response from an out of touch  ex public school boy who writes for a right wing. NHS hating rag.

I'm amazed anyone's surprised?  :unknown:

Online ik8133

The weird shift patterns they do, thinks it's 3 days of 13h days, 3 days off then 3 nights of 13h then 4 days off.  Hard to get any regular gym routine in or join any sports clubs with that rota.  Plus if you finish a shift tired, just food is often the quickest to eat

I can concur with that having worked shifts, it's the routine or lack of it the buggers you up.  Coming off nights is the worst on that shift pattern, you feel tired and lethargic, the motivation to do any form of exercise just isn't there.  You are just about recovered on the last back, then it's back to work!   

Offline willie loman

Its true many nhs nurses are fat, but the middle class ones, ex uni types are usually slim, you will find that across the board, couldnt read the article as it was behind a paywall, he is an arsehole, but that is nothing to do with being public school., one day people will stop this infantile criticism of public school types, who dont know about "real life".

Offline Chorley

Its true many nhs nurses are fat, but the middle class ones, ex uni types are usually slim, you will find that across the board, couldnt read the article as it was behind a paywall, he is an arsehole, but that is nothing to do with being public school., one day people will stop this infantile criticism of public school types, who dont know about "real life".
It's not infantile though, is it, Willie?
In fact it's bleeding obvious actually.  :rolleyes:

You only have to look at the higher echelons of public life that are stuffed full of Old Etonians, Harrowians and other lesser former private school pupils who have precisely fuck all concept of how most people navigate through the world, or do have some awareness, but have so little empathy and so much contempt that they really couldn't give a shit.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 07:37:55 pm by Chorley »

Offline willie loman

It's not infantile though, is it, Willie?
In fact it's bleeding obvious actually.  :rolleyes:

You only have to look at the higher echelons of public life that are stuffed full of Old Etonians, Harrowians and other lesser former private school pupils who have precisely fuck all concept of how most people navigate through the world, or do have some awareness, but have so little empathy and so much contempt that they really couldn't give a shit.
They are actually there on ability, or at least on exams passed, if the country relied on the products of state schools, we would have gone over a cliff years ago.

Online ulstersubbie

Sage point chorley. I worked with a few ex public school men years ago, one could hardly add up, the other one had trouble spelling fairly straightforward words. I did ask one of them if their parents had asked for a refund from the school they attended.   :D
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 07:58:57 pm by ulstersubbie »

Offline willie loman

Sage point chorley. I worked with a few ex public school men years ago, one could hardly add up, the other one had trouble spelling fairly straightforward words. I did ask one of them if their parents had asked for a refund from the school they attended.   :D

I suggest when you are next at the doctors or at a hospital or at the dentist, you insist on being treated by someone who went to a state school, as only they, know what life is about?

Offline Chorley

They are actually there on ability, or at least on exams passed, if the country relied on the products of state schools, we would have gone over a cliff years ago.
Oh dear. Are you really that naive?

. Yes, I'm sure many of them are bright, at least academically, but they have little common sense or u derstanding of ordinary peoples lives.

Many public school pupils are thick as shit yet still manage to secure cushy high profile jobs thanks to "connections".

Offline willie loman

Oh dear. Are you really that naive?

. Yes, I'm sure many of them are bright, at least academically, but they have little common sense or u derstanding of ordinary peoples lives.

Many public school pupils are thick as shit yet still manage to secure cushy high profile jobs thanks to "connections".

You are living in a fantasy world, most people whether from public schools or state schools follow the same trajectory in life, exams passed, courses completed, of course in every area of life people assist each other, but very few people in todays world survive if they cant do the job, no matter who helped them in the door. Really you should have grown out of this bullshit by your age.

Offline cunningman

And you know that because ... what?

I definitely got help from a public school 6th form education - but it was entirely because the staff were fully engaged with university entrance admissions staff, and advised carefully about which courses might suit my ability (or lack thereof).  The total failure to do that of the staff at the comps my kids went to, was shocking.

Offline Chorley

And you know that because ... what?

I definitely got help from a public school 6th form education - but it was entirely because the staff were fully engaged with university entrance admissions staff, and advised carefully about which courses might suit my ability (or lack thereof).  The total failure to do that of the staff at the comps my kids went to, was shocking.
From personal experience in the workplace, and from family and friends who've worked in The City, corporations and served in the armed forces.
Is  that good enough for you?  :rolleyes:

Online ulstersubbie

I definitely got help from a public school 6th form education - but it was entirely because the staff were fully engaged with university entrance admissions staff, and advised carefully about which courses might suit my ability (or lack thereof). 

Was it value for money then, out of interest?

Offline willie loman

From personal experience in the workplace, and from family and friends who've worked in The City, corporations and served in the armed forces.

I can assure you that britain is a paradise of social mobility compared to truly shithole countries like france and italy, neither has anything remotely approaching the the british private sector. Its the ease that you can organise your life in britain, that is the real attraction for immigrants, they quickly climb the ladder.

Offline LLPunting

All clearly with large chips on their shoulders.

Your examples and prejudice simply reinforce the stereotype of the "common man" that is resented by your opposite ideologues in the white collar classes.
You've bought into the class war as a matter of dogma with fuck all consideration for reality.  Having worked with hundreds and thousands of people from both backgrounds by far the greater number of idiots, fuckwits and narrow-minded bigots came from the poorly educated state sector, disproportionate to the proportions who came from each sector. 

Offline David1970

I can assure you that britain is a paradise of social mobility compared to truly shithole countries like france and italy, neither has anything remotely approaching the the british private sector. Its the ease that you can organise your life in britain, that is the real attraction for immigrants, they quickly climb the ladder.

Have you ever lived in Italy, I have and don’t recognise your description.

Offline willie loman

I wouldnt have made the comment if it wasnt based on personal experience.

Offline cunningman

No.

The point I tried to make is that the leg-up comes from university.  I also worked in The City etc and have family in the forces. The trajectory is set from transition through 6th form.  I have experience of 'you went there?' from uni, but no-one gives a shit where I went to school.

I do, because friends from uni who did not have that boost had to work harder and I respect them for it.

There is a benefit, possibly quite significant, from public school education - but I have never seen any evidence that it is 'Old Boy Network' in the way that you appear to suggest.

Public Schools use university entrance stats as marketing - they will try to optimize students to courses to get the best stats that they can.  Unusually, that does work for the kids, somewhat unlike the government's current stats regime.

And yes, not the sharpest knives can get through with some help - but I don't believe it is connection based as much as targeted tuition and coaching that boosts them.

At some level there is little difference - the school knows what the next level want, and tries to deliver it.  But its not Mates' Rates, nor I Have That Tie.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 09:47:28 pm by cunningman »

Offline willie loman

Without any doubt the most corrupt and crime ridden country in western europe, the lower half of the country has been virtually ungovernable for the last 100 years. What is the first word you learn in italian? La freggatura.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 09:39:23 pm by willie loman »

Offline Adoniron

I thought they were there because their parents could afford the fees.

Offline David1970

I wouldnt have made the comment if it wasnt based on personal experience.

What is your personal experience?
My personal experience is living there.

Offline willie loman

What is your personal experience?
My personal experience is living there.

grow up, of course i have lived there.

Offline Chorley

All clearly with large chips on their shoulders.

Your examples and prejudice simply reinforce the stereotype of the "common man" that is resented by your opposite ideologues in the white collar classes.
You've bought into the class war as a matter of dogma with fuck all consideration for reality.  Having worked with hundreds and thousands of people from both backgrounds by far the greater number of idiots, fuckwits and narrow-minded bigots came from the poorly educated state sector, disproportionate to the proportions who came from each sector.
Get off your high horse you patronising prick. You know nothing about me, my friends or my family, so you're views are based on no more than your own narrow minded bias which, ironically, you criticise me for.

Offline willie loman

I thought they were there because their parents could afford the fees.

I was saying that they were lawyers , accountants etc cos they had passed their exams, of course private schools helped them pass their exams. On another note, one thing about private schools , if they dont deliver a product they close, but state schools can fail year after year, and they are still open.

Offline David1970

grow up, of course i have lived there.

Why do I need to grow up, it’s the first time you mentioned you lived in Italy.
I was wondering, that since you are a stranger to the truth and facts.

Offline willie loman

Why do I need to grow up, it’s the first time you mentioned you lived in Italy.
I was wondering, that since you are a stranger to the truth and facts.

as ever you never actually reply to any points brought up on a thread, i dont think you have got the hang of internet forums.

Offline David1970

as ever you never actually reply to any points brought up on a thread, i dont think you have got the hang of internet forums.

I reply to you every time :hi:

Offline willie loman

I reply to you every time :hi:

You make a personal attack every time, but you dont address any points raised.

Offline David1970

You make a personal attack every time, but you dont address any points raised.

I just asked you a questions and you insulted me by saying “grow up“
You have got your facts wrong again, buts not unexpected :hi:

Offline willie loman

I just asked you a questions and you insulted me by saying “grow up“
You have got your facts wrong again, buts not unexpected :hi:

I made observations about italy, that are harsh, but few would disagree with, rather than engage on that, you came out with your usual "show me your medals crap" you may have lived in Italy, but you dont seem to have noticed anything that was going on around you.

Offline David1970

Italy is a wonderful country with wonderful people, food, wine and such history.
It’s culture is wonderful which probably answers the reason you don’t like it.

Offline David1970

I made observations about italy, that are harsh, but few would disagree with, rather than engage on that, you came out with your usual "show me your medals crap" you may have lived in Italy, but you dont seem to have noticed anything that was going on around you.

What proof do you have that few people with experience with living in Italy would disagree with you, or is it just your usual made up nonsense?

Offline willie loman

Italy is a wonderful country with wonderful people, food, wine and such history.
It’s culture is wonderful which probably answers the reason you don’t like it.

to call you banal, would be generous.

Offline Bonker

Because
- hospital food is cheap and fattening
- its difficult to buy and cook a healthy meal after a long shift, much quicker and easier to get a takeaway or open a can
- fattening food is comforting
- hard to go to the gym around long hours of work

Sorry to butt in and interrupt the argument about public schools.

Offline roger11

Nurses have tough jobs and tough hours

Nurses in private hospitals  bupa spire etc. These nurses are super fit. Better hours. Better pay etc.  Private hospitals have healthy food

Shame nhs nurses have tough hours as most of them are really nice people

Online scutty brown

External Link/Members Only

What an absolute bell-end.

Overworked, underpaid, highly stressed, crap management with zero motivation, working unsocial hours often causing broken marriages.
For many nurses food and chocolate are the only highpoints in their lives

Offline Xtro

From the article: "I doubt if there are any statistics on this subject, but perhaps there should be"

Lmao. "I haven't bothered to check, but I'll say it anyway..."

Not to be taken seriously in any case, charles moore is a poundshop katie hopkins. Will just say whatever he thinks is "controversial" to generate advertising clicks. He wouldn't know a good faith argument if it slapped him in the face

Aha..... Maybe the answer is here - External Link/Members Only

I can concur with that having worked shifts, it's the routine or lack of it the buggers you up.  Coming off nights is the worst on that shift pattern, you feel tired and lethargic, the motivation to do any form of exercise just isn't there.  You are just about recovered on the last back, then it's back to work!   

I worked shifts for 15+ years next to many other people. A few gained weight, most didn't. I didn't.
I offset my hours (in my head) and treated a nightshift as a normal day. I ate a proper dinner throughout the night. There may be some reasons to do with one's Circadian rhythm why you may gain weight but the general "calories in should equal your energy needs" equation still applies in most cases.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 12:35:53 am by Xtro »

Offline sparkus

You're definitely right about the food options but in addition, the buxom nurses referred to here tend to drink like blokes as well once they can after work.  It's gonna take its toll.

Nursing pay bands were slashed by J Hunt as health sec, even now after awards many are only on £26K and have to work in central London.  I don't recall eating anywhere more sophisticated than a Spoons or fried chicken place on a night out with any nurses.  One kept going to the ATM and only getting single tenners and fivers out, counting every cent (she wouldn't accept anything from me).  That said, some of the foreign glam ones do well for themselves dating wise.

Urban Bar, opposite Whitechapel tube, if you really want to pull.

Offline sub_marine

I work shifts as well, but different way, I'll fly to somewhere round the globe where the job is, which maybe takes 2-3 days depending on how remote.  Then be on 12h night shifts for 6 weeks straight, which dependng on how the travel went I can sometimes sync into right away, but sometimes takes 4-5 nights.  My meals and gymtime are all changed to suit the night shift.  As long as I dont see the outdoors then I have no idea what time of day it is anyway, also why I can come how from some very hot countries whiter than when I left UK.  F*** knows how any of the emergency service people do it with just a few shifts at a time, you'd never know if your coming or going

Offline David1970

to call you banal, would be generous.

Didn’t think you would get the culture of Italy, the nearest thing to culture you you have come a across is in yogurt :D

Offline catweazle

One of my ex's was an ambulance paramedic. She used to eat very quickly. She said that when they're on duty in the ambulance station you learn to shovel the food in, as the bell could ring any second and you'd have to abandon your meal.

Like others have said, shift work leads to fast food and quick hits.

Offline Strawberry

• Service Provider
Overworked, underpaid, highly stressed, crap management with zero motivation, working unsocial hours often causing broken marriages.
For many nurses food and chocolate are the only highpoints in their lives

Also may be type of personality attracted to nursing, caring, giving, find boundaries difficult, feel selfish putting themselves first. Commonly experienced by people who struggle with food, weight as are the things listed by Scutty.

Offline j_181

Aha..... Maybe the answer is here - External Link/Members Only

Not sure a study of American nurses without a general population control group can tell us much about average differences between UK nurses and UK general population.

Offline Doc Holliday

Not sure a study of American nurses without a general population control group can tell us much about average differences between UK nurses and UK general population.

This study from 2017 found no difference between UK nurses and the general population which is just over a quarter of people are classed as obese.

However there is a direct link between socio-economic status and obesity.  "30.7% of men and 34.2% of women, with no qualifications are classed
as obese, compared with 19.9% of men and 18.2% of women educated at degree level"

You could argue that nurses (a) should perhaps fall into the latter group and that (b) their training and experience should make this reduction even more pronounced?

This expected reduction is though counteracted by the reasons given by others ie shift working, snacking job stresses etc.

Offline Xtro

That's why I said maybe.

I blame the western diet for over stimulation of the Target Of Rapamycin (TOR) enzyme.
Too much animal protein/fat, sugar, salt and junk food.

EDIT: As I posted this, I noticed the Doc had replied with a study/link that I should have really sought out instead of my lame "maybe" reply. But that would have taken me all day to track down as I wouldn't know what I'm looking for in the first place.

Thanks Doc. You're a superstar.   :hi:   :thumbsup:

« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 01:59:11 pm by Xtro »

Offline Animalbeast

Most young female doctors are slim
and attractive. Maybe there’s a link between body type and personality which results in the types of jobs they go for.
Banned reason: Doesn’t listen to warnings
Banned by: Kev40ish

Offline Xtro

Most young female doctors are slim
and attractive. Maybe there’s a link between body type and personality which results in the types of jobs they go for.

Maybe there's a link between intelligence and body type.   :unknown:

That sounds just a silly. Anyone have any studies?