Sugar Babies
Shemales

Author Topic: Comedians who annoy the shit out of you  (Read 10454 times)

Offline sparkus

Never mind, enjoy this: External Link/Members Only

I said earlier about Tim Key ruining others' established comedy programmes.  The same cannot be said for Kevin Eldon who managed several adroit turns on Alan Partridge: External Link/Members Only

Offline cunningman

I'm inclined to nominate Stephen Fry.

Though, I really liked Fry and Laurie, and also the pair of them as Jeeves and Wooster.  Probably does show my age.
and I quite liked him on QI.  Its when he starts pontificating on tech and the world that I get annoyed.

Offline Beamer

Though, I really liked Fry and Laurie, and also the pair of them as Jeeves and Wooster.  Probably does show my age.
and I quite liked him on QI.  Its when he starts pontificating on tech and the world that I get annoyed.

I thought his role as Jeeves was brilliant but agree with you when he starts pontificating. But will put up with him because he is a Norwich supporter.

Offline Chorley

Can't say I agree with you on Fry. However, on a similar vein David Mitchell and Robert Webb. Can't stand them apart, and they come across as complete twats outside of a comedy sketch, but funny as fuck on Peep Show and That Mitchell and Webb Look

Offline Plan R

Michael McIntyre.   How that mundane fucker is considered funny I'll never know - comedy for aged nuns  :angelgirl:

Offline Kool Keef

Totally wrong. Baddiel was one of the first comedians to be a paid compère at the comedy store, which a  lot of comedians resented. I saw an interview with him I can't remember what he got paid it was something silly like £100 a night in the late 80s. So that means Frank Skinner and Rob Newman were often low billing to begin or I'm sure in some cases doing free gigs. A lot of comedians did shit like Red Shed charity gigs at that time.

No doubt in my mind Rob Newman and Frank Skinner are better stand-ups. Ironically, Skinner is a better joke writer, but Baddiel is a better writer at novels and scripts, ironic because I think Skinner was an English teacher. Rob Newman was a real tour de force his 1994 stand up on youtube proves it, but fuck me is his political stuff boring. And his self-destructive streak cost him and set his career back.

It's subjective, in both his double acts he has been the least funny one, by far imo.
Not interested in what he was earning as a compere or his novels.
Don't know about Rob Newman's political stuff but it's a shame he has that self destructive streak that has maybe held back his career.

Offline sparkus

I thought his role as Jeeves was brilliant but agree with you when he starts pontificating. But will put up with him because he is a Norwich supporter.

Likewise, couldn't get enough of Jeeves and Wooster when I first saw it on DVD but separately I just don't get Hugh Laurie at all.  Did some seriously shit ITV comedies solo.

Offline winkywanky

Was the funniest thing on that programme tbh, especially the unorthodox vicar: External Link/Members Only

I'd forgotten that  :cool:.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 10:16:58 pm by winkywanky »

Offline petermisc

Graham Norton.  Cringeworthy in comedy, and so far up himself in his chat show.

Offline winkywanky

He is cringeworthy, but he seems to get the best out of his guests I think.

Offline petermisc

Never seen Tim Key stand up but liked him in Plebs
All female comedians - although Katherine Ryan is quick witted ;)
Rachel Parris's monologues were the best bit of The Mash Report, especially her put-downs of Kumar.  Victoria Wood was the best female comedienne I have ever seen.   

I saw Hale and Pace ("The Two Rons") live, and thought they were hilarious.  Their TV work, however, was lame.  Some comedians are definitely better live.

Offline petermisc

I have never seen him get anything interesting out of his guests, they get so little time to say anything, and he never asks anything remotely controversial.  It is all so inane.  He is not exactly in Michael Parkinson's league.

Offline sparkus

Was quite funny in Father Ted and much better at Eurovision than Wogan's final years.

Offline winkywanky

I have never seen him get anything interesting out of his guests, they get so little time to say anything, and he never asks anything remotely controversial.  It is all so inane.  He is not exactly in Michael Parkinson's league.

True, he's certainly a different type of interviewer from Parky.

There's lots of laughter, not so much in-depth, deeper stuff.

Offline winkywanky

Was quite funny in Father Ted and much better at Eurovision than Wogan's final years.

Yes, Wogan was getting boring, although both shared a healthy disdain for it.

Online maxxblue

Yes, Wogan was getting boring, although both shared a healthy disdain for it.

Didn't mind Wogan too much until this happened:

External Link/Members Only

Offline winkywanky

Offline Davey Dykes

Kevin Eldon is one of those character actors whos understanding of comedy is outstanding, he immediately improves anything he's in even with a cameo. The only other I hold in similar regard is Mark Benton.

Offline sparkus

Rachel Parris's monologues were the best bit of The Mash Report, especially her put-downs of Kumar.  Victoria Wood was the best female comedienne I have ever seen.   

I saw Hale and Pace ("The Two Rons") live, and thought they were hilarious.  Their TV work, however, was lame.  Some comedians are definitely better live.

Tbh this is my only recollection of Hale and Pace: External Link/Members Only

Offline sparkus

Didn't mind Wogan too much until this happened:

External Link/Members Only

My sole recollection of Wogan's career off Eurovision was that he got his show axed to make way for 'Eldorado' and someone once used a picture of him to show he had an immense cock.  Oh and David Icke.

Offline Ali Katt

• Forum Moderator
  • Reviews: 28
It's subjective, in both his double acts he has been the least funny one, by far imo.
Not interested in what he was earning as a compere or his novels.
Don't know about Rob Newman's political stuff but it's a shame he has that self destructive streak that has maybe held back his career.
I think I got it misconstrued but Baddiel would have been a successful whether he met Rob Newman or not - that's the point. Baddiel and Newman despite being billed as a double act were never really a double act in the truest sense like say the Two Ronnies. I think with double acts you usually always have a funnier one, the exceptions possibly being the aforementioned the Two Ronnies and Cook and Moore.

The political stuff was mainly about the Iraq war and he did one called history of oil, but like a lot of political comedy I rarely find stuff like that hilarious. His best for me was when he played Jarvis who was totally ripped off by Paul Whitehouse as the 15th Duke of Wimbdin or whatever it was. I think he suffered from severe depression which held him back, often thinking his comedy was shit according to Baddiel.

Offline Ali Katt

• Forum Moderator
Kevin Eldon is one of those character actors whos understanding of comedy is outstanding, he immediately improves anything he's in even with a cameo. The only other I hold in similar regard is Mark Benton.
And Mark Heap, probably best known for playing Jim on Friday Night Dinner these days, but brilliant on Brass Eye and Jam which also starred Kevin Eldon.

Offline catweazle

Probably get shouted down for saying so, but I can't abide

Frankie Boyle

Seems to think abuse and swearing is "funny".

Offline sparkus

I think I got it misconstrued but Baddiel would have been a successful whether he met Rob Newman or not - that's the point. Baddiel and Newman despite being billed as a double act were never really a double act in the truest sense like say the Two Ronnies. I think with double acts you usually always have a funnier one, the exceptions possibly being the aforementioned the Two Ronnies and Cook and Moore.

The political stuff was mainly about the Iraq war and he did one called history of oil, but like a lot of political comedy I rarely find stuff like that hilarious. His best for me was when he played Jarvis who was totally ripped off by Paul Whitehouse as the 15th Duke of Wimbdin or whatever it was. I think he suffered from severe depression which held him back, often thinking his comedy was shit according to Baddiel.

You're right in that there wasn't a straight man in the sense of Mortimer to Reeves early on and they weren't Morecambe and Wise either.  It only really lasted as a passing fad for a couple of seasons, although they did attain almost rockstar status (Viz readers will recall 'Student Grant' binning all his Reeves and Mortimer stuff in favour of Newman and Baddiel).

When Newman peeled off he started to focus solely on political standup (a more bookish Mark Thomas, basically) and his first novel sold OK because of who he was but as I recall it wasn't really up to much and anyone especting "Stoke on Trent? Bent!" would have been much disappointed.

I watched the 'Wembley' show again for the first time in years as a result of this (External Link/Members Only), some of Newman's non-PC routines would land him in no end of shit with the woke brigade now.

Offline Adoniron

Not sure if you can even class him as a comedian but I really, really can't stand Keith Lemon.

Offline Adoniron

Also Ricky Gervais. Completely up his own arse.

Offline Kool Keef

Kevin Hart, don't get it, watched 'Ride Along' & seen him interviewed a few times & hilarity failed to ensue.
He's one of the wealthelist 'comedians' in the world so what do I know.

Offline cotton

Frankie Boyle

Tbh i liked frankie boyle even when he was seemingly just being offensive. But even then there seemed to be more to him than just being offensive and as time has passed hes emerged as quite a mature social commentator , hes become like a member of the establishment liberal glitterati doing alot of socially aware hand wringing stuff but still with enough of a caustic edge to make it palatable and funny.
Hes probably like marmite , you love him or hate him.

Offline hornyguylondon

Offline The Film Director

Frankie Boyle

You should try Jerry Sadowitz  :D :thumbsup:

Offline sparkus

Jack Dee seems an effective TV presenter but as a comedian, am I missing something? Lee Evans also a fair enough actor but apart from his 'Bohemian Rhapsody' skit, meh.

Online jeanphillipe

Frankie Boyle

Hes a changed man.. teetotal, vegetarian and much more p.c the beeb love him now.

I preferred the franki boyle of old, but still the guy.

I nominate kevin hart and amy shumer

Fun fact google unfunny female comedian and amy schumer pops up top of results  :D
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 06:00:14 pm by jeanphillipe »

Offline HumphryB

You should try Jerry Sadowitz  :D :thumbsup:

Yeah he does a run at the kings every year for the Glasgow comedy festival and usually the edinburgh 1 too. Seen him loads. This years glasgow gigs were cancelled. week before lockdown, but at that point mass public gatherings were cancelled. Gutted man.

Offline hornyguylondon

Jack Dee seems an effective TV presenter but as a comedian, am I missing something? Lee Evans also a fair enough actor but apart from his 'Bohemian Rhapsody' skit, meh.
Nope you're not, unless you like his deadpan expression I find Jack Dee is a very limited comedian.

I've seen Lee Evans several times but more to please the partner  :rolleyes: Relies more on "physical" comedy but not your classic comedian  :)

Offline Ali Katt

• Forum Moderator
You're right in that there wasn't a straight man in the sense of Mortimer to Reeves early on and they weren't Morecambe and Wise either.  It only really lasted as a passing fad for a couple of seasons, although they did attain almost rockstar status (Viz readers will recall 'Student Grant' binning all his Reeves and Mortimer stuff in favour of Newman and Baddiel).

When Newman peeled off he started to focus solely on political standup (a more bookish Mark Thomas, basically) and his first novel sold OK because of who he was but as I recall it wasn't really up to much and anyone especting "Stoke on Trent? Bent!" would have been much disappointed.

I watched the 'Wembley' show again for the first time in years as a result of this (External Link/Members Only), some of Newman's non-PC routines would land him in no end of shit with the woke brigade now.
I forgot about Reeves and Mortimer another great double act, but also good solo, but I don't see either as being stand ups in the classic sense. Also Hale and Pace were criticised for having two straight men, I know they've been mentioned before, but they benefitted from great writers and have a few classic sketches under their belt namely Yorkshire Airlines, the grim Mr Chips parody and alcoholics anonymous.

You'll read either Baddiel or Newman were the first comedian to play Wembley this is bullshit it was Sean Lock as he was warm up and on before. Loads of unpc stuff in the 90s just look at some Harry Enfield stuff, even The Inbetweeners wouldn't be made today. What we've got instead is "ironic" disablist humour with Boyle or Gervais mocking "mongs" or dreary shit like Fleabag.

I think for me it's the misappropriation of the word genius. Is Gervais a genius? Not even close I liked the office first time around, no way I would watch it again, his films are on the ok side and I thought his stand up was piss funny around mid 2000s. I think Stephen Merchant is the funnier of the two. Boyle I thought was the funniest on mock the week and he seemed fresh about 15 years ago. Now he became sanitised like Graham Norton who was great on channel 4 20 years ago.

I think genius is a few times in a lifetime thing and most are dead. I think intellectual has become another misappropriated word, but I digress.

Offline Ali Katt

• Forum Moderator
Yeah he does a run at the kings every year for the Glasgow comedy festival and usually the edinburgh 1 too. Seen him loads. This years glasgow gigs were cancelled. week before lockdown, but at that point mass public gatherings were cancelled. Gutted man.
I've tried to see him, never been on tour close enough for me.

Online mr.bluesky

I couldn't stand Ben Elton. Thankfully you don't see him on tv nowdays

Offline The Film Director

I've tried to see him, never been on tour close enough for me.

He can be a bit too PC of course ..... what do you get if you cross Tina Turner and an orang-utan ..... a hideously ugly orang-utan  :D

Offline winkywanky

I couldn't stand Ben Elton. Thankfully you don't see him on tv nowdays

If you really wanted to, you could always go to see one of his wonderful Musicals?  :lol:

Offline Ali Katt

• Forum Moderator
He can be a bit too PC of course ..... what do you get if you cross Tina Turner and an orang-utan ..... a hideously ugly orang-utan  :D
"A Scottish Jew you can't get any tighter than that. My family sold my foreskin to Graham Norton to use as chewing gum."

And
"The problem with you're Jerry is your too rough, you're just too brutal ... oh shut up and roll over mother"

Offline jockerson

« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 08:20:14 pm by jockerson »

Offline winkywanky

I thought Citizen Khan was classic British Sitcom, gently taking the piss out his own community.

Quite like the guy.

Offline Ali Katt

• Forum Moderator
I thought Citizen Khan was classic British Sitcom, gently taking the piss out his own community.

Quite like the guy.
He got death threats for it. It's just a very silly sitcom which owes is more in the style of a 70s sitcom like Mrs Brown's Boys.

Offline hornyguylondon

He got death threats for it. It's just a very silly sitcom which owes is more in the style of a 70s sitcom like Mrs Brown's Boys.

The acting was that bad ?

Anyone know who made the death threats and why  :unknown:

Offline sparkus

I didn't find it particularly watchable but I suppose there's a sizeable community who would find it funny as it references their lives, though at the same time it'd wind a few people up on either side of the debate.

Online jeanphillipe

The acting was that bad ?

Anyone know who made the death threats and why  :unknown:

I watched some of it. Lots of recycled gags and old jokes.
Lots of cliche stuff.

Goodness gracious me was much funnier.

Offline sparkus

I watched some of it. Lots of recycled gags and old jokes.
Lots of cliche stuff.

Goodness gracious me was much funnier.

Not a fan of that nor 'The Real Muppet' (one of two OK sketches...) as 90s 'right on' BBC commissioning went.

'3 Non Blondes' worked in a 'Trigger Happy' kinda way.

Offline winkywanky

A Fatwa? That wouldn't surprise me. Just goes to show what a great idea the series was IMO.

I guess it just depends on whether you find it funny or not.

I think Mrs. Brown's Boys is shit but I quite liked Citizen Khan. I would argue a VERY big part of being British is being able to send yourself up, and I think the vast majority of Brits are able to, or at least enjoy watching someone else do it for them.