Sugar Babies
Shemales

Author Topic: Ask UKP: Is this the worst time to buy a house?  (Read 817 times)

Offline kuck

I had my offer accepted a few months ago, and a simultaneous exchange and completion is due next week. I think I have the option of pulling out, only standing do lose the solicitor's fee.

On one hand, I like the place - it would be a great place to spend the plague in. The place is a house with a garden, and I currently live in a shitty flat.

On the other hand is an imminent crash in market value. Some projections put it to a 20% drop over the next year.

The purchase is not a short term investment, but a place to live, and maybe the means to a retirement in Thailand.

What do you think, UKP hive mind?

Offline Rochelle

• Service Provider
I had my offer accepted a few months ago, and a simultaneous exchange and completion is due next week. I think I have the option of pulling out, only standing do lose the solicitor's fee.

On one hand, I like the place - it would be a great place to spend the plague in. The place is a house with a garden, and I currently live in a shitty flat.

On the other hand is an imminent crash in market value. Some projections put it to a 20% drop over the next year.

The purchase is not a short term investment, but a place to live, and maybe the means to a retirement in Thailand.

What do you think, UKP hive mind?
If you pull out, and in 6 months the house has been sold to another, how gutted would you be about losing that particular property?

Offline catweazle

Simultaneous with Boris announcing lockdown, l accepted an offer on my house and had my offer on the next house accepted. People buying mine are still keen, and I'm buying off a relative so hopefully it'll all still happen.

Online Colston36

Prices will unquestionably go down. It really depends on how much you like the house. I agree with Rochelle.

Offline Working Wendy

• Service Provider
A drop in market value, more choice of properties as homes become repossessed and less buyers due to job insecurity. It will be a buyer's market for sure. Bad time to buy a house right now, good time to sell though

Offline Doc Holliday

I know a conveyancing solicitor currently working from home. The market has died a death as you would expect. Many people pulling out of existing sales due to financial uncertainty, redundancy etc.

If the house is a long term buy and somewhere you really want to live and you have a buyer willing to go through with it, then I would carry on.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 08:58:58 am by Doc Holliday »

Offline CheeseBoard

I think I read in one of the papers recently about a couple who bought a place and the person who was going to buy their place dropped out.  They were then left with 2 mortgages to pay.  So if you are going to continue its something to keep in mind (if the purchase has an onward chain (not just you, but the folks buying and selling above and below you).

Offline Happylad

It depends on how long a view you are prepared to take.  In the short term if you had to sell you would undoubtedly lose, but over the longer term property is the one sure fire way to keep your money`s worth intact.  Compare the present problem with a world war - in both the last two property prices dropped and houses became more difficult to sell, but within a couple of years of peace arriving they had reached almost double pre-war prices and have simply kept on escalating. My father paid £6000 for a house in 1948, which has changed hands several times since but has recently sold for £1m.  My own home, which I bought in 1959 is now worth more than 100 times what I paid for it, or, more correctly, my pound sterling is worth 100 times less.

Money inevitably continues to lose its value, bricks and mortar over the long term don`t.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 10:46:51 am by Happylad »

Offline workinallweek

A drop in market value, more choice of properties as homes become repossessed and less buyers due to job insecurity. It will be a buyer's market for sure. Bad time to buy a house right now, good time to sell though

surely good time to buy with a reduction and a shit time to sell ?
Banned reason: Offering glowing positive reviews for free bookings.
Banned by: daviemac

Offline workinallweek

It depends on how long a view you are prepared to take.  In the short term if you had to sell you would undoubtedly lose, but over the longer term property is the one sure fire way to keep your money`s worth intact.  Compare the present problem with a world war - in both the last two property prices dropped and houses became more difficult to sell, but within a couple of years of peace arriving they had reached almost double pre-war prices and have simply kept on escalating. My father paid £6000 for a house in 1948, which has changed hands several times since but has recently sold for £1m.  My own home, which I bought in 1959 is now worth more than 100 times what I paid for it, or, more correctly, my pound sterling is worth 100 times less.

Money inevitably continues to lose its value, bricks and mortar over the long term don`t.

External Link/Members Only

Offline Happylad

External Link/Members Only

I`m afraid that this calculator bears little relation to increase in property values. I spent 50 years dealing partly with property matters, and houses in my area which were newly built in 1950 for around £2000 are now selling for more than 100 times that .

Offline Working Wendy

• Service Provider

surely good time to buy with a reduction and a shit time to sell ?

Yes a good time to buy, shit time to sell post apocalypse I mean. First time buyers could be in their own home sooner than they had planned

Offline freeze44

Yes a good time to buy, shit time to sell post apocalypse I mean. First time buyers could be in their own home sooner than they had planned

Buy now? I would think it's a better course to wait and see as who knows where prices will fall to?

Offline tynetunnel

If you plan to be in your new home longer than short term then my feeling is that prices will recover and you won’t lose out. Any dip in property values will be short lived while the world recovers. You may as well live somewhere nicer while we and the planet recovers

Offline workinallweek

I`m afraid that this calculator bears little relation to increase in property values. I spent 50 years dealing partly with property matters, and houses in my area which were newly built in 1950 for around £2000 are now selling for more than 100 times that .
no it reflects money not property

Offline Working Wendy

• Service Provider
Buy now? I would think it's a better course to wait and see as who knows where prices will fall to?

Yes that is what I'm saying. But it will be harder to sell if you're in a chain. The ideal scenario would be that of a first time buyer post apocalypse.

To clarify:
Now = bad time to buy, good time to sell (before everyone loses their livelihoods)
Future = good time to buy, bad time to sell
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 05:11:20 pm by Working Wendy »

Offline kuck

Thanks everyone.  :drinks:

I still can't make up my mind. I do like the place I'm moving to, yet there's a prospect of losing money, at least short term. Perhaps a decision will come to me if I sleep on it.

Thanks again, UKP members.

Offline cultvoid

If prices crash you’ll have a house worth.....a house.

Offline workinallweek

Put in a viscious bid now stating yu will pull out otherwise

some mortgages have changed the accepted loan to value rate  and if above 60% loan they wont lend due to valuations not happening

Offline Mikeh38

I exchanged on a house six weeks ago, I'm yet to put my property on the market. Once my new property is refurbished, I will move and rent my current property for at least a year or two, so that I don't lose too much. Luckily I don't have a mortgage on either property.

Offline GingerNuts

I exchanged on a house six weeks ago, I'm yet to put my property on the market. Once my new property is refurbished, I will move and rent my current property for at least a year or two, so that I don't lose too much. Luckily I don't have a mortgage on either property.

It's nice to see you made good use of the money you didn't spend on punting over the last five years.

Offline paper7

Rochelle's right. Get your arse into gear and move. If you hold it 'long-term' it will appreciate in value.

Offline kuck

I've gone ahead and am typing this from my new place.  :dance:

Probably a bad short term move, but at least I have a nice place to survive (or not) the isolation in. My last place wasn't wg friendly. This place is just perfect to bring hookers over. As soon as I get my hands on swab tests for the damn virus, I'll be screening and inviting them over. Still months to go, I suppose...

Thanks for the advice, ladies and gentlemen.  :drinks:

Offline Rochelle

• Service Provider
I've gone ahead and am typing this from my new place.  :dance:

Probably a bad short term move, but at least I have a nice place to survive (or not) the isolation in. My last place wasn't wg friendly. This place is just perfect to bring hookers over. As soon as I get my hands on swab tests for the damn virus, I'll be screening and inviting them over. Still months to go, I suppose...

Thanks for the advice, ladies and gentlemen.  :drinks:
Glad to help.
:hi:

Offline Home Alone

Good time to win a million or several on the National Lottery and buy houses - relatively - cheap, surely?

Even if property values continue to fall in the short-term, the supply will rarely, if ever, match the demand. :unknown:

Offline workinallweek

Just put in a bid that was refused about 4 weeks ago  its 35% reduction on the asking price . Its recieving serious consideration due to them not having a paying tennant anymore .

Offline freeze44

Good time to win a million or several on the National Lottery and buy houses - relatively - cheap, surely?

Even if property values continue to fall in the short-term, the supply will rarely, if ever, match the demand. :unknown:

Suppose it depends on how long you can wait to profit. If it were me, I would keep cash rich until know when the bottom of the market is reached and what the plans are to rebuild the economy.

For example, what if the government decide to 'ramp up' (annoying term  :lol:) social housing?

Offline Rochelle

• Service Provider
Suppose it depends on how long you can wait to profit. If it were me, I would keep cash rich until know when the bottom of the market is reached and what the plans are to rebuild the economy.

For example, what if the government decide to 'ramp up' (annoying term  :lol:) social housing?
He already bought it.

Offline freeze44

He already bought it.

Yes got that but was responding to what looks like a more general point about investing in housing is speculating  :thumbsup:

Offline willie loman

If you plan to be in your new home longer than short term then my feeling is that prices will recover and you won’t lose out. Any dip in property values will be short lived while the world recovers. You may as well live somewhere nicer while we and the planet recovers

Totally agree, prices always go back up, though the best time to actually buy is now during lockdown or shortly after, as warren buffet famously says, buy when others are fearful. Lots of timorous beasties about just now.