Sugar Babies
Shemales

Author Topic: King currency will begin to be rolled out in mid 2024  (Read 1073 times)

Offline GingerNuts

King Charlie looks about 30 years younger on those bank note images  :unknown:

The Queen's portrait on the polymer notes (first issued in 2016) is the same one used since 1990 and it might even predate that.

Offline Blackpool Rock

Yeah it was on the news earlier when I was in the gym and I looked and thought "Whose the new person on the back of these notes", didn't actually think it looked like Charlie from years back  :unknown:

Offline catweazle

Makes you wonder if they've had it ready for decades (like the late Queens coffin being made in the 1990s)

Offline puntingking

will the departed queens bank notes stay in circulation for many more years rather than months?

I heard last week that there is no fixed date yet of when the queen notes will stop becoming legal tender.

:unknown:

Online mr.bluesky

will the departed queens bank notes stay in circulation for many more years rather than months?

I heard last week that there is no fixed date yet of when the queen notes will stop becoming legal tender.

:unknown:

Better get all those ones stuffed under the mattress out.

Offline timsussex

In the past notes have only been removed from being legal tender when the vast majority have been replaced due to wear and tear (which could take a long time with polymer notes) or because of security concerns.
There is a fair chance that the new notes will outlast Bigears.

No problems with those notes under your mattress; unlike many countries who make old notes worthless, Bank of England notes will always be honoured by the bank  "I promise to pay the bearer" means forever. 

Offline puntingking

In the past notes have only been removed from being legal tender when the vast majority have been replaced due to wear and tear (which could take a long time with polymer notes) or because of security concerns.
There is a fair chance that the new notes will outlast Bigears.

No problems with those notes under your mattress; unlike many countries who make old notes worthless, Bank of England notes will always be honoured by the bank  "I promise to pay the bearer" means forever.

Also the fact is they really only issued the notes we use now a few years back.

Surely it must cost money to print money  :unknown:

Also as you said they must only replace them when the soon to be old notes suffer from wear and tare. Otherwise that just a waste.

Could be another 2 years before they will be completly replace.  :unknown:

The notes featuring the late queen stopped being printed on 30th september of this year.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2023, 09:00:46 pm by puntingking »

Offline GingerNuts

It could be quite a few years if the notes are only withdrawn at the end of their lifespan

External Link/Members Only

The average life is expected to be at least 5 years for polymer £5 and polymer £10 banknotes. Reflecting its different pattern of usage, the average lifespan for polymer £20 banknotes could be in excess of 20 years.

Offline puntingking

It could be quite a few years if the notes are only withdrawn at the end of their lifespan

Good info.
It also depends on the usage of this notes.

If you got spare notes in a kids money box for example or the notes are left in the bank untouched then these notes wont age or suffer from wear and tare.

Offline timsussex

So good bye Britannia, instead we get Big Ears on one side and the birds and the bees on the other

Offline PepeMAGA

So good bye Britannia, instead we get Big Ears on one side and the birds and the bees on the other

I like the look of these though they are being a bit cheeky with how they're making the light catch them

Offline timsussex

I like the look of these though they are being a bit cheeky with how they're making the light catch them

Looks like one set of the examples have been enamelled to accentuate the design - shame the real things wont be

Offline Marmalade

One of the main things with new coins is they shouldn’t easily be subject to confusion with other currencies — like the fucking Euro. I don’t want a £2 coin that looks like a Euro in a hurry. I want our coins to look distinctively different, so they won’t be confused in poor light but also as a matter of national pride.

Euro coins are already a pain if you travel a lot. Many countries have similar looking coins.

But do we really need coins??
They don’t fit in a wallet.
Get enough of them they make holes in your pocket.
Currency Exchange shops don’t accept them.
They allow misleading of the public by advertising things as a penny less than the nearest pound.
They make things hard for tourists.
They can set off alarms at an airport security.
You need one sort of machine for notes and another one for coins. How wasteful is that?

There are plenty of ways of promoting the royal brand.
Marmalade for instance.
Everyone likes marmalade.  :thumbsup: :dance:

Offline Marmalade

Just to explain, as I’m sometimes asked, it’s from Pink Floyd’s Atom Heart Mother, in the days when they opened their musical vision with mind-expanding drugs and were nice to people (instead of making political garbage statements).

Hidden Image/Members Only

Marmalade, and many other things, has long had a “by appointment to her majesty” crest on some of the best brands. Personally I wouldn’t object to a picture of whatever royal is in charge, king or queen, less expensive than new coins and actually pays for itself!

Offline puntingking

One of the main things with new coins is they shouldn’t easily be subject to confusion with other currencies — like the fucking Euro. I don’t want a £2 coin that looks like a Euro in a hurry. I want our coins to look distinctively different, so they won’t be confused in poor light but also as a matter of national pride.

Euro coins are already a pain if you travel a lot. Many countries have similar looking coins.

But do we really need coins??
They don’t fit in a wallet.
Get enough of them they make holes in your pocket.
Currency Exchange shops don’t accept them.
They allow misleading of the public by advertising things as a penny less than the nearest pound.
They make things hard for tourists.
They can set off alarms at an airport security.
You need one sort of machine for notes and another one for coins. How wasteful is that?

There are plenty of ways of promoting the royal brand.
Marmalade for instance.
Everyone likes marmalade.  :thumbsup: :dance:

Maybe rather than a £2 and £1 coin, they should've done a £2 and £1 plastic note instead.

Also i think we should scrap all the pennies coin and shops should make products to they prefer price tag to a pound rather than them silly £2,99 and £1,35 we currently see.

Offline Marmalade

Maybe rather than a £2 and £1 coin, they should've done a £2 and £1 plastic note instead.

Also i think we should scrap all the pennies coin and shops should make products to they prefer price tag to a pound rather than them silly £2,99 and £1,35 we currently see.

Well said!!

Offline RandomGuy99

I got a King Charles 50p the other day. Looks like it was Coronation one

Offline Private Parts

When did you last visit the Ark?

Online WASA38

Is this supposed to mean 'the price of every item sold in shops should be rounded off to the nearest pound and there should be no items costing less than one pound' ? 

If not, what ? If so, then seriously?  !

A single person wishing to buy the perishable constituents of a green salad in the supermarket might buy:

Two little gem lettuces    80p
One cucumber cucumber 60p     
Bunch of spring onions    30p
One sweet pepper           75p

Total cost                      £2.45
Total cost if all prices multiple of £1:  £4

Somewhat inflationary I would suggest. Okay, I accept that most folk pay by card but there are stiil many  who don't have that facility and they are the ones who can least afford such an increase.

If your idea is that those prices should apply but the bill should be rounded down to £2 that would probably mean the retailer has sold at a loss. You could argue on the basis of swings and roundabouts but what if a customer happened to require just the bunch of onions . Do that person have to pay £1 or simply have to go without ?  Many would feel justified in pinching them. Hardly a desirable outcome.

Offline puntingking

Is this supposed to mean 'the price of every item sold in shops should be rounded off to the nearest pound and there should be no items costing less than one pound' ? 

If not, what ? If so, then seriously?  !

A single person wishing to buy the perishable constituents of a green salad in the supermarket might buy:

Two little gem lettuces    80p
One cucumber cucumber 60p     
One sweet pepper           75p

Total cost                      £2.45
Total cost if all prices multiple of £1:  £4

Somewhat inflationary I would suggest. Okay, I accept that most folk pay by card but there are stiil many  who don't have that facility and they are the ones who can least afford such an increase.

If your idea is that those prices should apply but the bill should be rounded down to £2 that would probably mean the retailer has sold at a loss. You could argue on the basis of swings and roundabouts but what if a customer happened to require just the bunch of onions . Do that person have to pay £1 or simply have to go without ?  Many would feel justified in pinching them. Hardly a desirable outcome.

The shops could give out more of each products so that it could be rounded up to the nearest pound.
Such as:
Three little gem lettuces    for £1
Two cucumber for £1     
Three bunches of  spring onions for   £1
And so on...

This is better than having loose change on me all the time. Coins are a nuisance. No where to put them ans even your walets dont want coins as there aint a coin department in wallets anymore.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2023, 09:04:57 pm by puntingking »

Offline timsussex

yes but they would have rotted by the time I got round to eat them

It's all right for you young rabbits with large families  :D

Old carnivores like me who just want a little bit of a side salad will lose out

Offline Marmalade

The shops could give out more of each products so that it could be rounded up to the nearest pound.
Such as:
Three little gem lettuces    for £1
Two cucumber for £1     
Three bunches of  spring onions for   £1
And so on...

This is better than having loose change on me all the time. Coins are a nuisance. No where to put them ans even your walets dont want coins as there aint a coin department in wallets anymore.

Indeed this was suggested to me about 30 years ago!
The objection then, as now, is people not wanting to buy more than they need.
Supermarkets want you to buy more than you need, 3 for 2 offers etc, some of which could be banned, but hey they have to keep prices down.

On the common items where people would spend less than a pound it would be possible (with a little ingenuity) to offer "any 2 for a £1" or "any 3 for £2" or whatever, not to sell items people don't want but just to get rid of something that is actually sexist against men. Women carry handbags and purses full of junk: we don't.

Sometimes I want to pay cash. I have a tiny coin bag I try to remember for coins given in change, then just tip those into the auto-checkout first next time. But I'd rather not carry it. A slim wallet fits in my jeans, is just one item, nowt to carry. I don't want a metrosexual bag.

In the EU I heard that every note is tracked. Maybe we don't have that here but I like to think we can still spend money without being snooped on.

Another reason is that bank statements are harder to read meaningfully when they are clogged up with tiny purchases, a coffee here, a bus fare there. OK, there's a way round that (use a different card for small purchases, another one for Amazon and so on) but it's a hassle.

Paper money gives you more control over your life in my opinion. You look in your wallet when buying a round or impulse purchase and see the difference compared to how much you came out with.

Online Munter84

The new notes seem to be the same specification (material, dimensions etc) as the previous polymer ones, so I don't think there's any reason they'd be demonetised. Rather they'll be circulating alongside the existing Elizabeth notes, same as old/new coinage.

Online Munter84

Looks like one set of the examples have been enamelled to accentuate the design - shame the real things wont be

The ones with frosted detailing are proof coins. Very sexy stuff, but as you say not the same as circulating coins. Once in a blue moon you find a proof coin in circulation where someone has got their hands on a set and broken it up to spend at face value, not realising the coins are worth multiple times that to a collector if kept in mint condition.

Offline puntingking

The new king banknotes will enter circulation in early June of this year.

Will they do away with our current queen notes or will they slowly be replaced?  :unknown:

Online mr.bluesky

Will they do away with our current queen notes or will they slowly be replaced?  :unknown:

Modern day banknotes are made to last longer nowdays so perhaps they will phase them out over time  :unknown:

Offline myothernameis

If you believe on what is being reported, that King Charles has less then 2 years to live, how will this affect role out of notes and coins

Its hard to say, what the news is reporting, but would assume, the royal mint, and Parliament are more in the loop.  So do they issue the new notes, knowing the likely outcome, or hold of till later on

Offline puntingking

If you believe on what is being reported, that King Charles has less then 2 years to live, how will this affect role out of notes and coins

Its hard to say, what the news is reporting, but would assume, the royal mint, and Parliament are more in the loop.  So do they issue the new notes, knowing the likely outcome, or hold of till later on

I dont think it would have an impact. There is nothing saying that they cant issue new notes with a deceased king.
However i am not a royalist but still dont want the king or any other royal member to die from cancer or anything else but i cant see how it would impact new kings notes.

I was more concerned at doing away with the queen notes as they have not been around that long and it would be a waste to throw away them when they still work.  :unknown:

Online Munter84

I was more concerned at doing away with the queen notes as they have not been around that long and it would be a waste to throw away them when they still work.  :unknown:

The new notes (and coins for that matter) are just a new design, not a new specification, so the old ones aren't being demonetised as far as I know. Old and new will circulate alongside each other with equal value - it's something many of us have never experienced before due to QEII's longevity, but there's nothing about the coronation of a new monarch that makes previous notes, coins or stamps become worthless overnight. In the days before decimalisation in 1972 you could have coins featuring multiple past and present British monarchs in your pocket.

Offline puntingking

The new notes (and coins for that matter) are just a new design, not a new specification, so the old ones aren't being demonetised as far as I know. Old and new will circulate alongside each other with equal value - it's something many of us have never experienced before due to QEII's longevity, but there's nothing about the coronation of a new monarch that makes previous notes, coins or stamps become worthless overnight. In the days before decimalisation in 1972 you could have coins featuring multiple past and present British monarchs in your pocket.

Ok.  :thumbsup:

Offline catweazle

In the days before decimalisation in 1972 you could have coins featuring multiple past and present British monarchs in your pocket.

Pre decimalisation, you sometimes  got a Queen Victoria coin - like the late QEII, the portrait went through several images as she aged, and you'd  sometimes get a penny with a young head - turn it over  and see a date like 1866 on the reverse.

As for the Kings new banknotes, apparently  the portrait is from a photograph taken in 2016. Makes you wonder  if it was in the pipeline ever since  and therefore  do they have a William version ready,?

Offline Malvolio

I can remember shillings and florins with George VI on them - and he died over 20 years before I was born.  From memory, it was only when they started to shrink the size of silver coins in 1992 that the George VI coins were withdrawn.

Offline DastardlyDick

Where are you shopping? 60p for the ones to go in my Pad Thai last night!  :lol:

Offline DastardlyDick

Pre decimalisation, you sometimes  got a Queen Victoria coin - like the late QEII, the portrait went through several images as she aged, and you'd  sometimes get a penny with a young head - turn it over  and see a date like 1866 on the reverse.
You wouldn't have a pre 1936 six pence in among them, they were, I believe, the last British coin to have any actual silver in them - collectors took them out of circulation very quickly!

As for the Kings new banknotes, apparently  the portrait is from a photograph taken in 2016. Makes you wonder  if it was in the pipeline ever since  and therefore  do they have a William version ready,?

Yes, they most likely have, just as there's an updated Op. Bridges and Cheales' obituary.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2024, 10:32:11 am by DastardlyDick »

Offline timsussex

A handful of coins in my youth (60+ years ago) would have lots of different heads Victorian pennies with young or old  heads, Edward VII, George V and Vi and Queen Elizabeth
Coins were allowed to get quite worn before they were removed from circulation some Victoria ones were very thin.  Usually pennies and halfpennies as earlier real silver coins had been withdrawn. We had two  family old silver 1930 threepences to go in the Xmas pud - If you got one then you exchanged it for a bronze octagonal one 

I think the silver content was reduced to 50% after WWI and post WWII silver was eliminated from normal coins. Now of course we cant even afford copper in our coins try seeing how many of your coppers are magnetic
Since 1992 pennies are only copper plated steel

The Isle of Man has stopped minting pennies and will allow them to disappear as I suspect will we - and \i still remember the farting - which was worth around 1/10th of a modern penny with a cute wren on it

Offline Corus Boy

A handful of coins in my youth (60+ years ago) would have lots of different heads Victorian pennies with young or old  heads, Edward VII, George V and Vi and Queen Elizabeth
Coins were allowed to get quite worn before they were removed from circulation some Victoria ones were very thin.  Usually pennies and halfpennies as earlier real silver coins had been withdrawn. We had two  family old silver 1930 threepences to go in the Xmas pud - If you got one then you exchanged it for a bronze octagonal one 

I think the silver content was reduced to 50% after WWI and post WWII silver was eliminated from normal coins. Now of course we cant even afford copper in our coins try seeing how many of your coppers are magnetic
Since 1992 pennies are only copper plated steel

The Isle of Man has stopped minting pennies and will allow them to disappear as I suspect will we - and \i still remember the farting - which was worth around 1/10th of a modern penny with a cute wren on it

I remember farting!  But topped when it had lumps in it!