Sugar Babies
Shemales

Author Topic: DVD player upscale  (Read 185 times)

Offline horsa

I have a smart 4k upscaling blue Ray player, does this mean it makes standard DVD quality into HD?
I'm not very tech minded. Thanks
  :hi:

Offline mr.bluesky

I have a smart 4k upscaling blue Ray player, does this mean it makes standard DVD quality into HD?
I'm not very tech minded. Thanks
  :hi:

As a techno numpty myself but I would say it wouldn't.  If it is recorded as a standard dvd then it would not have the required amount of pixels to make it HD   :unknown:
If you Google it standard pixel rating is 480p whereas HD is 720p
« Last Edit: May 03, 2024, 05:36:42 pm by mr.bluesky »

Offline horsa

As a techno numpty myself but I would say it wouldn't.  If it is recorded as a standard dvd then it would not have the required amount of pixels to make it HD   :unknown:
What exactly is it upscaling then?

Offline Xtro

Standard UK DVD specs for region 2 (UK) are typically 720x576 pixels (PAL).
In USA they will have 720x480 pixels (NTSC).

What exactly is it upscaling then?

If the disc you're playing isn't 4K, your blu-ray player will upscale it. An algorithm is used to fill in the gaps between the quality of the source material and what a 4K version would be, and the best 4K players should do a job of this.
It's likely your 4K TV will have a similar 'engine' that generates, (upscales), from a lesser source to fill the screen.

Other things to mention (if you want to research) are interlaced/progressive, Aspect Ratios (see below), Non Square pixels, Chroma Subsampling: 4:4:4 vs 4:2:2 vs 4:2:0.   Bored yet?

As you can appreciate, there's a lot of images (per second) being created on the fly but processing power shouldn't be a problem in such dedicated players; it will boil down to how good the algorithm is as to the actual quality of the output.

Advanced Aspect Ratios - PAR, DAR and SAR - External Link/Members Only

Online RandomGuy99

See External Link/Members Only

"This is where 4K upscaling comes in, which all 4K TVs will have to some extent. This makes high-definition and standard-definition TV channels, DVDs and streaming video look better when they're bigger. "