Sugar Babies
Shemales

Author Topic: Fun phone advice needed!  (Read 2805 times)

Offline Martinx

Hi
i have an old non-smart phone I want to use as a second phone.
Is it possible to buy a cheap-as-chips PAYG SIM which includes calls and texts only - I obviously don't need mobile data.
The phone was originally on an O2 contract.
Thanks

Offline Munter84

Of course it's possible. I personally use Tesco Mobile for this purpose, they're pretty generous with matching texts when you top up.

If you can stretch to an old smartphone as your punting phone that's arguably even better (surely you have one in a drawer somewhere after your last upgrade, or could easily beg or borrow one?), as that way you can set up a WhatsApp account which is probably the app of choice, as it allows you to view and receive photos from the WG. Again no need for data, either just use wifi at your home or in a pub/cafe, or hotspot from your main phone.

Online JontyR

Sims are available pretty much at any convenience store or supermarket. They will all come now looking like you have to purchase bundles of stuff an pay so much a month. But if you just stick one in and keep the credit low then it will work just as a PAYG.
O2 sims do this. If you are unsure you can always give customer services a ring when you first pop it in. They wont ask for any personal details, or won't check anyway.

Offline Clungist

Of course it's possible. I personally use Tesco Mobile for this purpose, they're pretty generous with matching texts when you top up.

If you can stretch to an old smartphone as your punting phone that's arguably even better (surely you have one in a drawer somewhere after your last upgrade, or could easily beg or borrow one?), as that way you can set up a WhatsApp account which is probably the app of choice, as it allows you to view and receive photos from the WG. Again no need for data, either just use wifi at your home or in a pub/cafe, or hotspot from your main phone.

That's pretty much the same as what I do.

Best way for me I use my main phones hotspot and WhatsApp.

Been good so far.

Offline RandomGuy99

Lots of threads on this already. Try a search.  :hi:

Offline contentguy

A warning about Vodafone SIM only.  The basic one charges you £1 the first time you incur charge in a day (SMS / using data / getting a call connected, even to VM) which gives you a chunk of data, unlimited calls and unlimited texts for that day.

Offline Hugger-Mugger

Hi
i have an old non-smart phone I want to use as a second phone.
Is it possible to buy a cheap-as-chips PAYG SIM which includes calls and texts only - I obviously don't need mobile data.
The phone was originally on an O2 contract.
Thanks
Lebara PAYG. You can top up with cash for as little as £5 and you can use that PAYG for as long as it lasts. Cheap and discrete. Uses Voda network.

Offline contentguy

Lyca seems to last, top up and go, not sure of prices.  Works for me.

Offline boardyhell

just check phone is not locked to a network before buying sim

Offline big-al93

just check phone is not locked to a network before buying sim

If it is, tesco may still work as they run on O2 network, or any of the other virtual networks that run on O2. I can't remember the full list but you can find it on the money saving expert website. For all the 4 physical networks.

Offline HornyHemel

If it is, tesco may still work as they run on O2 network, or any of the other virtual networks that run on O2. I can't remember the full list but you can find it on the money saving expert website. For all the 4 physical networks.

It's locked, you can get O2 to unlock the phone free of charge.   Details are on their website.

Offline camshaft72uk

I bought a cheap Tesco phone and do £10 top ups when needed and just see it as part of the cost.  All paid cash so no link to me then can bin if anything goes wrong.
From a burner phone perspective don't want it to have any trace to me.

I did used to use my own phone,  but horror stories from here changed that.

Online PilotMan

I've switched to using the Hushed App - much better, never have to have a punting phone now.

Offline Bluelight85

I've switched to using the Hushed App - much better, never have to have a punting phone now.

I used to use Hush, but I found it somewhat unreliable text credits were being taken and texts not being received (I even tried texting myself to test!!) and also I had one SP trying the Hush number on WhatsApp and it turned out to be an actual number that was in use, in any case I still think the best method is a fairly modern smart phone but don’t install any social media apps or set up anything other than a punting email on it, and review all of your privacy settings - both phone and apps like WhatsApp and telegram etc should you use them, and last but not least use an unregistered disposable PAYG sim.

Offline Captainhowdy666

Tried the TEXTME app yesterday
Calls work fine but it can’t receive texts from lebara sims so that was a failed punt.

Online webpunter

What can possibly go wrong ?  :rolleyes:
As @Bluelight85 [edit & @cappy...] highlight

There is a logic for using the likes of hush if OH in play
& not easy to keep punting mobile safely below the radar

For everyone else the logic of not having a punting mobile escapes me
A decent iphone 6 can be acquired on eBay for 70 sheets
[30 min punt]
Even cheaper for android etc

Sooo many reasons to have a separate mobily.  Here are but a few

- navigating on maps on main phone whilst in comms with SP on punting [flicking between the screens aint easy]
- main phone can be turned off / on silent & securely stashed
- when out on punting expeditions you dont need to take main phone [especially good when abroad where you aint sure exactly where you'll end up]
- being wasted & going punting tech stuff can get awfully complicated & losing the burner, hassle but not a disaster

IMO the list is endless, but then what do i know  ;)

« Last Edit: March 20, 2023, 09:59:51 pm by webpunter »

Online myothernameis

have you tried some of the second hand sales shops

Offline versace

Tried the TEXTME app yesterday
Calls work fine but it can’t receive texts from lebara sims so that was a failed punt.

For some odd reason it has a problem receiving texts from Lebara and Lyca mobile.

Online webpunter

For some odd reason it has a problem receiving texts from Lebara and Lyca mobile.

Which bearing in mind these are a couple of the hooker mobile networks of choice kinda puts a spanner in the works
One aspect being that you ain't sure whether she's not working, busy or ignoring you
A track springs to mind:  External Link/Members Only

Now what is the solution where a 2nd mobile ain't an issue ?  :rolleyes:
& i'd forget the wanky providors piggy backing off the main networks
Pick one where the signal works best for you most of the time
Wifi calling add on like with vodafone helps on a patchy signal
IMO reliability is the key - a tenner a month PAYG with as much data / calls / texts as you'll ever need - knock yourself out  ;)

Offline globewindsailor

I was always on Three because their calls were so cheap you just topped up some credit and it lasted ages, but they've raised their prices. Try Giffgaff who I switched to, but it's been ages since I've had to think about it so I can't recall why I choose it.

Online s0whatsnew?

I use smarty for both personal  (£10 60gb monthly)  and other stuff  (£6,  4gb monthly)  Pricewise, i'm happy.

Offline PrimeBritiishBull

By my second or third punt I realised I didn’t want to be giving out my regular number to people who I will possibly only meet once, also it was very obvious SPs were already on this boat with work phones. So I took out a secondary phone, that was on sale at the time, for £15/m. Unlimited calls and texts and a bit of data. This was 5+ years ago, I still have the phone, but now it has a giffgaff payg sim, put £25 on, and that will last 6-12 months, depending on the frequency of punts

Offline Ligan

I recently decided to get a 'punting phone' like this, as I started to get a bit worried by 'unsolicited texts'.

Trouble is - after using the the cheap payg phone I just felt instantly suspicious all the time if I used it outside. So just thought I'd give you a heads up!

Offline Cheltclient

I’ve literally got an Asda sim. I’m less worried about links to me as I’m always respectful so shouldn’t get any agro post booking. I’m also single (well, may be changing shortly if things keep going well) so also have no concerns with anyone discovering the second number. I just don’t like using my real number. I don’t upload what’s app or email into my punting phone. It’s just for texts and calls. Paid £5 for the sim. Can top up £5 a month for unlimited texts, calls and a little data. Perfect

Online myothernameis

Offline Cheltclient

You got a Vodaphone sim  :drinks:

Spot on. That’s what I meant to say. But I got it from Asda