Sugar Babies
Shemales

Author Topic: Can you force AW links posted here to not open in mobile version of AW?  (Read 531 times)

Offline LLPunting

Don't know if it's because people are pasting profile addresses into posts using their non-Windows (non-Macs?) or AW is trying to force mobile users arriving via external links to use their app/mobile site which is badly coded, but I'm finding that the majority of AW links posted here seem to be triggering the "launch in app" code of AW's "mobile" site which then hangs in Kiwi browser on my Android phone.
I can force the site to render if I open in an incognito tab (Firefox) and then click the desktop link but then AW Civilizer isn't available.
If I browse AW in Kiwi and click a profile in AW Civilizer's gallery view the tab correctly opens in a new Kiwi tab.  :dash:

Even if I select the browser setting to open Desktop site it still triggers AW's force to mobile site and subsequent hang.

Could UKP site add code to force the link to open in Desktop mode on any browser?
Perhaps parse pasted links and convert to the adultwork/awid address format before publishing the post?

Offline Straightsix

I think some folk are copying/sharing the link differently.

ie:
External Link/Members Only

Or commonly:
External Link/Members Only

Is this what you mean?

« Last Edit: December 27, 2021, 03:07:42 am by Straightsix »
Banned reason: Warned before but doesn’t seem to learn
Banned by: Kev40ish

Offline Waterhouse

I use Safari on iPhone (IOS 14) or iPad (IOS 12 or 13) and I never have a problem, it either defaults to the desktop version or gives me a “splashpage” to continue to the mobile/app version or select the desktop version.  One thing I do always do though is to browse everything in Private mode - ie. no cookies or cached data of any type. If you view a page in Safari (or any of the mainstream browsers) in normal/standard mode, then it will remember and store/save website data and default to it each time.

Clear cookies, temp internet files and cached data and then switch to private mode and try it again. The only downside to this is that usernames and passwords are not stored or remembered so you need to log into the websites (incl. UKP) much more often.

Offline scutty brown

I think you'll find its because the wrong URL is being posted: instead of copying and pasting the profile link, instead members are browsing the app site with a phone or tablet and then copy/pasting the whole URL header - which in turn will force the app to open when used as a link.
It's a user/training issue - members need to learn how to post AW links correctly

Offline Straightsix

It's a user/training issue - members need to learn how to post AW links correctly
+1
That extra 'click' does become annoying.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2021, 03:11:52 pm by Straightsix »
Banned reason: Warned before but doesn’t seem to learn
Banned by: Kev40ish

Offline LLPunting

Thanks all.

It seems more code related because the links appear to be like StraightSix's examples, I even copy them as text and then check what's pasted in the URL bar to remove any reference to the mobile site but then AW spots I'm using a phone and drives me thru their faulty code when I hit enter.  It doesn't matter whether I set the browser to use desktop mode or not, AW intervenes.  Since it doesn't hang and properly renders the choice page of mobile version, app or desktop when I force it to open the link in an incognito page it seems either a cookie or absence of a particular one or the specific code isn't running cleanly in Kiwi.  Chrome works but again no AW civilizer.

Offline v54

Have you tried changing the User Agent string in Kiwi?

Offline LLPunting

Have you tried changing the User Agent string in Kiwi?

Thanks, doesn't setting the Desktop mode do that?  My install of Kiwi doesn't retain the setting between sessions so it's more a toggle when you visit a page requiring a refresh to re-render which may not be handled properly by the site's coding.

If you know of another way please do point me in the right direction  :hi: