Sugar Babies
Shemales

Author Topic: 2023-24 Football season  (Read 42427 times)

Offline Stevelondon

As for this petulant argument about Scotland.

Someone asked what’s the best thing to come out of Scotland.
Quite a lot actually but if I had to make a choice it would be.
The Macallan 12 year old double cask.

Decent price for a single malt to be sure. (No wait a minute. That sounds Irish for fucks sake) 😂

Offline Jumping Jack Flash

You can’t dispute that a 6-0 win is a great performance but it’s just papering over the cracks. The petulant behaviour over the penalty highlights major issues within the squad which will take a long time to fix.

Chelsea are in a mess and long may that continue.

Offline radioman33

Scotland has great golf courses and a happy punter:
External Link/Members Only
« Last Edit: April 16, 2024, 09:32:26 am by radioman33 »

Offline webpunter

Scotland has great golf courses and a happy punter:

Actually i really like Scotland, must have been there 30 or times or more over the years

My post/posts were in response to the dour @WL
I really should move on from doing this, getting bored its too easy i do like a challenge
IMO @WL isnt representative of the scottish UKP board

Indeed some great courses
& a mate of mine who lived there for a while mentioned you can get a round in after work in the summer
On the course by 5.30 6.00 ish dont dawdle & you can play 18

Offline chrishornx

Indeed some great courses
& a mate of mine who lived there for a while mentioned you can get a round in after work in the summer
On the course by 5.30 6.00 ish dont dawdle & you can play 18

to be fair you can do that in Lancashire

Online timsussex

You can’t dispute that a 6-0 win is a great performance but it’s just papering over the cracks. The petulant behaviour over the penalty highlights major issues within the squad which will take a long time to fix.

Chelsea are in a mess and long may that continue.
nonsense
Thats what a good manager would fix - how long do you think it would take Shankly. Ferguson or Clough to fix that  ?

Or would it ever have happened in one of their teams?

Online timsussex

Decent price for a single malt to be sure. (No wait a minute. That sounds Irish for fucks sake) 😂

Didn't they nick whisky from the Irish ?

Offline jackdaw

“The high road to London”. (Dr Johnson’s view of the best thing to come out of Scotland, I think.)

(See on browsing earlier posts TimS beat me to it, albeit with a slightly different wording. Not surprisingly Tim’s version was more accurate than mine. The “proper” quote is “The noblest prospect which a Scotchman ever sees, is the high road that leads him to England!”)

« Last Edit: April 16, 2024, 03:54:10 pm by jackdaw »

Online mr.bluesky

To be fair they have given the world some marvellous inventions. John Logie Baird was Scottish who invented the television and without television we would not have televised football
 :drinks:
( although he has a lot to answer for with all that reality TV and soap opera crap we have to put up with)
:dash
« Last Edit: April 16, 2024, 04:09:06 pm by mr.bluesky »

nonsense
Thats what a good manager would fix - how long do you think it would take Shankly. Ferguson or Clough to fix that  ?

Or would it ever have happened in one of their teams?

It would never have happened in one of their teams, the players knew their roles and they stuck to them. If anyone who played for Fergie stepped out of line on or off the pitch they were shipped out. It happened to Whiteside, McGrath and Lee Sharpe amongst others, all for off the pitch stuff.

Offline jackdaw

It would never have happened in one of their teams, the players knew their roles and they stuck to them. If anyone who played for Fergie stepped out of line on or off the pitch they were shipped out. It happened to Whiteside, McGrath and Lee Sharpe amongst others, all for off the pitch stuff.

And McGrath was an incredible player, maybe best centre half I ever saw. (Will have to check sometime where he played most games, midfield or centre half.)

And McGrath was an incredible player, maybe best centre half I ever saw. (Will have to check sometime where he played most games, midfield or centre half.)

He was world class and is still idolised at Villa Park where to fans of a certain vintage he will always be known as God. He had dodgy knees, not much pace, a serious drink problem and hardly trained.  Come matchday all of this was forgotten and his anticipation of what the attacking side were going to do was incredible, it was though he was a couple of seconds ahead of play.

Online timsussex

To be fair they have given the world some marvellous inventions. John Logie Baird was Scottish who invented the television and without television we would not have televised football
 :drinks:
( although he has a lot to answer for with all that reality TV and soap opera crap we have to put up with)
:dash

Logie Baird TV was a mechanical system; it was further from modern television than the horse and cart is from F1 (at least they both have 4 wheels). Only the British credit Logie Baird with inventing TV

Online timsussex

Its quite a long list - Jaap Stam was another who was shipped out in his prime - after he "wrote"  some rather unflattering comments in his  autobiography
« Last Edit: April 16, 2024, 05:53:20 pm by timsussex »

Online timsussex

Wasn't McGrath shipped to Villa because Ferguson saw him as one of the central figures in the drinking culture said to be prevalent in the dressing room ? Did Fergie get it wrong ? did he continue it at Villa or was it a wake up call ?

Online timsussex

Loved the Dele Alli comment on Chelsea - when in the last big game and the pressure was on they werent fighting to take a penalty but now 4-0 up they are all keen to get on the scoresheet
« Last Edit: April 16, 2024, 06:24:35 pm by timsussex »

Online mr.bluesky

Its quite a long list - Jaap Stam was another who was shipped out in his prime - after he "wrote"  some rather unflattering comments in his  autobiography

David Beckham was another, Fergie thought he was getting too distracted by all his " off field" and commercial activities

Wasn't McGrath shipped to Villa because Ferguson saw him as one of the central figures in the drinking culture said to be prevalent in the dressing room ? Did Fergie get it wrong ? did he continue it at Villa or was it a wake up call ?

I think that when he went to Old Trafford Fergie inherited a drinking culture within the squad, there were hardcore drinkers including Whiteside, McGrath, Robson and Strachan. Whiteside was moved to Everton, Strachan to Leeds and McGrath to Villa and these moves all happened around the same time.

Did Fergie get it wrong? Probably not as McGrath continued to drink heavily during his time at Villa and was ultimately saved by Graham Taylor and one of his staff Jim Walker. I imagine Fergie knew what a special group of young players he had waiting to break into the first team and wanted to send the right message to them around professionalism and how to behave off the pitch.

McGrath was the best defender that I’ve seen though, he was simply brilliant.

Online timsussex

I see PSG have made ANOTHER remarkable comeback in their Champions league tie against Barcelona
The ref seemed very quick to pull out the red card which changed the match

Offline chrishornx

Logie Baird TV was a mechanical system; it was further from modern television than the horse and cart is from F1 (at least they both have 4 wheels). Only the British credit Logie Baird with inventing TV

many carts had 2 wheels

Offline ulstersubbie

Did Fergie get it wrong?

McGrath was the best defender that I’ve seen though, he was simply brilliant.

Fergie didn't get much wrong that's for sure. Agree with you about McGrath, a fine player even with the drinking and his dodgy knees.

Offline Hoping

Interesting read on Paul McGrath.  Very sad life and wasted talent despite his success.  External Link/Members Only)

Online timsussex

Interesting read on Paul McGrath.  Very sad life and wasted talent despite his success.  External Link/Members Only)

An even sadder waste Anthony Stokes - once the next big thing with Arsenal now in prison for abusing his girlfriend

There was a more detailed article in the Times describing his fall through 15 teams and the various leagues of Europe External Link/Members Only
« Last Edit: April 17, 2024, 04:20:10 pm by timsussex »

Online WARSZAWA16

Wife's  Diary:  * 

Tonight, I thought my husband was acting weird.  We had made plans to meet at a nice restaurant for dinner.

I was shopping with my friends all day long, so I thought he was upset at the fact that I was a bit late,     
but he made no comment on it.

Conversation wasn't flowing, so I suggested that we go somewhere quiet so we could talk.
He agreed, but he didn't say much.

I asked him what was wrong; He said, "nothing."

I asked him if it was my fault that he was upset.

He said he wasn't upset, that it had nothing to do with me, and not to worry about it.

On the way home, I told him that I loved him.

He smiled slightly, and kept driving.  I can't explain his behaviour.
I don't know why he didn't say, “I love you, too.”

When we got home, I felt as if I had lost him completely, as if he wanted nothing to do with me anymore.
He just sat there quietly, and watched TV.  He continued to seem distant and absent.

Finally, with silence all around us, I decided to go to bed.  About 15 minutes later, he came to bed.
But I still felt that he was distracted, and his thoughts were somewhere else.  He fell asleep; I cried.
I don't know what to do.  I'm almost sure that his thoughts are with someone else.  My life is a disaster.

*Husband's  Diary:*

Who the fuck loses to crystal palace at home

Online Punterperson1971

Tonight, I thought my husband was acting weird.  We had made plans to meet at a nice restaurant for dinner.

I was shopping with my friends all day long, so I thought he was upset at the fact that I was a bit late,     

Conversation wasn't flowing, so I suggested that we go somewhere quiet so we could talk.

He said he wasn't upset, that it had nothing to do with me, and not to worry about it.

When we got home, I felt as if I had lost him completely, as if he wanted nothing to do with me anymore.
He just sat there quietly, and watched TV.  He continued to seem distant and absent.

Finally, with silence all around us, I decided to go to bed.  About 15 minutes later, he came to bed.
But I still felt that he was distracted, and his thoughts were somewhere else.  He fell asleep; I cried.
I don't know what to do.  I'm almost sure that his thoughts are with someone else.  My life is a disaster.

Brilliant  :D :D

Offline radioman33

Ha ha ha

Online willie loman

An even sadder waste Anthony Stokes - once the next big thing with Arsenal now in prison for abusing his girlfriend

There was a more detailed article in the Times describing his fall through 15 teams and the various leagues of Europe External Link/Members Only

dont know if the article mentions it, but seems like his dad is the real deal, when it comes to being hard.

Offline radioman33

Southampton win yesterday was big,they are now evens for promotion and play against Leeds on the final day away which could decide promotion.

Online timsussex

dont know if the article mentions it, but seems like his dad is the real deal, when it comes to being hard.

He was adopted by his uncle and Aunt, after his mother put her Heroin first. His blood  father isnt really mentioned But his uncle and adoptive father John ran the Players lounge in Dublin - an IRA hangout and target of loyalists thugs  several times. While playing at Celtic Stokes returned to Dublin to attend an IRA funeral.

While HMP Addiewell has a reputation as one of Scotlands toughest prisons the article suggested Stokes might be well enough connected to be untouchable

Online willie loman

He was adopted by his uncle and Aunt, after his mother put her Heroin first. His blood  father isnt really mentioned But his uncle and adoptive father John ran the Players lounge in Dublin - an IRA hangout and target of loyalists thugs  several times. While playing at Celtic Stokes returned to Dublin to attend an IRA funeral.

While HMP Addiewell has a reputation as one of Scotlands toughest prisons the article suggested Stokes might be well enough connected to be untouchable

didnt realise it was his uncle , actually spoke to him once when he was over watching his son playing for hibs before he moved to celtic.

Offline webpunter

Southampton win yesterday was big,they are now evens for promotion and play against Leeds on the final day away which could decide promotion.

It was three into two & with Leicester Ipswich & Leeds doing their best to drop points its four into two
Since the international break the wheels have come orf @ Bell End
Having the opportunity of automatic on the final day with a win / draw would be a result all things considered
Leeds have struggled not to get beat even draw against teams who they should come out on top against
If Leeds are in the play offs they are doomed
They're crap at them
& unless i'm mistaken teams who have just missed automatic coming third rarely go up
More like its a team with momentum on the up who scrape it into the playoffs, The Viller a prime example 
Meanwhile one of Leicester Ipswich Leeds [possibly even two] would struggle in the playoffs falling near the final hurdle with a loss of confidence

I really do hope that the cheating fuckers Leicester dont go up
The EFL havent got the motivation desire nerve ability to puruse them
Leicester would have had a points deduction had they stayed in the Prem with FFP breaches
Now that they are in the Championship they are untouchable, yet still benefitting from the overspend
If they go up they then get a deduction next season
What a load of bollox

Offline radioman33

It was three into two & with Leicester Ipswich & Leeds doing their best to drop points its four into two
Since the international break the wheels have come orf @ Bell End
Having the opportunity of automatic on the final day with a win / draw would be a result all things considered
Leeds have struggled not to get beat even draw against teams who they should come out on top against
If Leeds are in the play offs they are doomed
They're crap at them
& unless i'm mistaken teams who have just missed automatic coming third rarely go up
More like its a team with momentum on the up who scrape it into the playoffs, The Viller a prime example 
Meanwhile one of Leicester Ipswich Leeds [possibly even two] would struggle in the playoffs falling near the final hurdle with a loss of confidence

I really do hope that the cheating fuckers Leicester dont go up
The EFL havent got the motivation desire nerve ability to puruse them
Leicester would have had a points deduction had they stayed in the Prem with FFP breaches
Now that they are in the Championship they are untouchable, yet still benefitting from the overspend
If they go up they then get a deduction next season
What a load of bollox

Southampton are now on their good run,do you think Farke is messing up?

Offline webpunter

Southampton are now on their good run,do you think Farke is messing up?

Something / numerous things are going wrong hard to assess exactly what
Some piss poor refereeing decisions in the last few matches clear penalties & the oppo which Leeds faced have all been timewasting with the square root of fuck all added
IMO Farke is doing well, deffo better than i expected especially noting a difficult start first matches when players leaving right left & centre & he had to steady the ship

Surprise Bamford is shite, again
It crossed my mind that he knows that if Leeds get promoted he's not gonna have much if any game time next season
A miss here & there stay in the Championship which is his level, when he's on a rare good day & he's in the team
Wonderful  :rolleyes: :dash:

Online southcoastpunter

I am a Saints fan and was at St Marys to see the win yesterday - a great first half, a more measured, controlled second half! But we are still in the least best position of the 4 top teams. even though we still have games against Leeds and Leicester, its still in Leicester and Ipswich own hands - even if we win all our remaining games. Leicester can afford to lose to us and still get automatic promotion.

You never know in football but I have put the playoff dates in my calendar! (just being realistic). 

Online mr.bluesky

So Manchester City's dream of a a double treble is over after loosing to Real Madrid on penalties.  What on earth was Bernardo Silva thinking with his pathetic penalty attempt and it comes to something when the Man City goalkeeper has to step up to take a penalty because your overpaid outfield players lack the bottle to step up and take one. So for the first time in years there are no English clubs left in the semi finals after Arsenal's failings too. Can't see Liverpool pulling back a three goal deficit tonight in the Europa League nor West Ham beating the unbeaten new Bundesliga champions Bayer Leverkusen.  That could just leave the Villa in the Europa Conference left as England's flag bearers in Europe  :unknown:
« Last Edit: April 18, 2024, 06:03:36 am by mr.bluesky »

Offline Blackpool Rock

So Manchester City's dream of a a double treble is over after loosing to Real Madrid on penalties.  What on earth was Bernardo Silva thinking with his pathetic penalty attempt and it comes to something when the Man City goalkeeper has to step up to take a penalty because your overpaid outfield players lack the bottle to step up and take one. So for the first time in years there are no English clubs left in the semi finals after Arsenal's failings too. Can't see Liverpool pulling back a three goal deficit tonight in the Europa League nor West Ham beating the unbeaten new Bundesliga champions Bayer Leverkusen.  That could just leave the Villa in the Europa Conference left as England's flag bearers in Europe  :unknown:
Didn't watch or listen to either game as I was out with an old friend but saw the results when I got home, were City unlucky not to win the game as looking at the stats they had 67% possession and 33 shots Vs 8 with 9 Vs 3 on target so looks like they bossed the game and just reading the write up it pretty much confirm this

City have had so much success over the last decade that i'm not bothered they are out however I would like to see Arsenal picking up some silverware just to get some fresh blood and a bit of a change

I watched the Manchester City game last night and it struck me that Guardiola has ruined Grealish as a player, he’s nothing more than a robot now.

He was a once in a generation talent at Villa and carried us for a few seasons, yes he appears to have lifestyle issues but he ran the show for us. We were always likely to lose him and the transfer fee they paid has helped us stay within the PSR rules but I’m convinced that they didn’t need him and brought him to stop their rivals buying him. He hasn’t improved them but would have improved sides like Liverpool, Spurs and Arsenal.

Still I’m sure Jack is happy with his medals and fat bank balance, but what might have been, eh Jack…..

Online mr.bluesky

Didn't watch or listen to either game as I was out with an old friend but saw the results when I got home, were City unlucky not to win the game as looking at the stats they had 67% possession and 33 shots Vs 8 with 9 Vs 3 on target so looks like they bossed the game and just reading the write up it pretty much confirm this

I always think the possession statistics from a game are a load of cobblers. It's what you do with the ball that counts. Teams can have loads of possession by just knocking the ball about without creating any real chances. I've seen teams win games when they've had only about 30% possession and fewer shots on goal than the opposition. The only statistic that matters is goals.

Online daviemac

• Forum Moderator
  • Reviews: 24
I always think the possession statistics from a game are a load of cobblers. It's what you do with the ball that counts. Teams can have loads of possession by just knocking the ball about without creating any real chances. I've seen teams win games when they've had only about 30% possession and fewer shots on goal than the opposition. The only statistic that matters is goals.
Classic example on Saturday - Spurs possession 73% goals 0 - Newcastle possession 27% goals 4. Master class in tactics by Howe spurs only got 2 shots on target.

Offline Jomoore

Some piss poor refereeing decisions in the last few matches clear penalties & the oppo which Leeds faced have all been timewasting with the square root of fuck all added
IMO Farke is doing well, deffo better than i expected especially noting a difficult start first matches when players leaving right left & centre & he had to steady the ship

Surprise Bamford is shite, again

Definitely agree with the above.  The refereeing has been comical; it amazes me that with the stakes so high in what is now a multi-billion pound industry that the critical decisions are left to amateurs.  Refs can make or break a season.

Poor old Bamford became the fans' favourite for a month or so in Feb/March but has now become the figure of hate for the trolls once more.  I've always felt he was really a number 10, not a principal striker.  This could be his last season with us, whether we go up or stay down.

I think Farke is the best thing in the last 20 years second only to Bielsa, but if he gets us promoted he'll equal Bielsa in the fans' minds. But if we don't go up just watch the idiots online will be clamouring for him to be sacked, just like some of them did to Bielsa.  Lunacy.

But looking at the form, points difference and goal differences among the top 4 in the championship it's still all to play for  :thumbsup:

Offline JontyR

I watched the Manchester City game last night and it struck me that Guardiola has ruined Grealish as a player, he’s nothing more than a robot now.
He was a once in a generation talent at Villa and carried us for a few seasons, yes he appears to have lifestyle issues but he ran the show for us.

Yeah, he was a stand out at Villa. But he isn't better than the players that were at City and they aren't going to build their team around him - and neither would England. You could question his decision to move to City, but if he wanted to win trophies he made the best choice. If he wanted to be the main man, he'd have stayed at Villa.

Online mr.bluesky

Classic example on Saturday - Spurs possession 73% goals 0 - Newcastle possession 27% goals 4. Master class in tactics by Howe spurs only got 2 shots on target.

:thumbsup: exactly,  proves my point

Offline Bertiebeenthere

When did the away goals rule in European competitions disappear?

Online WARSZAWA16

When did the away goals rule in European competitions disappear?
From the 2021-2 season. Always thought it was a good rule myself, but that's UEFA for you with all their unnecessary meddling..