Sugar Babies
Shemales

Author Topic: Help a Yank out: what are the "dodgy" punting areas? (If any)  (Read 1592 times)

Offline Georgejetson

I am from the US and over have spent maybe 4 months of my life in London spread over about 20 visits. I have just started punting (like an idiot, I didn't know it was a thing here. I thought I had to go to Amsterdam or Thailand). But  Other than a bit of time at a hotel on the East side next to a methodone clinic, I don't think I have seen or been in a "dodgy neighborhood". But maybe I have and don't know how they read? Maybe they look different to what I am used to (Baltimore, Bronx, Philly ...lots of boarded up windows, smoldering couches, gutted cars,  5-10 guys stand at corner, not a cop in sight ). But I am sure there are some places I should avoid here. And I don't want to stupidly end up in one (Brixton maybe? But I know that only because of the Clash song). . What are the dodgy neighborhood names I have to worry about, where Punting occurs?    I will say, of the 6 UK punts so far, the neighborhoods seemed absolutely safe, nice, and really upscale.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 01:12:32 am by Georgejetson »

Offline Brazilian Martian

I am from the US and over have spent maybe 4 months of my life in London spread over about 20 visits. I have just started punting (like an idiot, I didn't know it was a thing here. I thought I had to go to Amsterdam or Thailand). But  Other than a bit of time at a hotel on the East side next to a methodone clinic, I don't think I have seen or been in a "dodgy neighborhood". But maybe I have and don't know how they read? Maybe they look different to what I am used to (Baltimore, Bronx, Philly ...lots of boarded up windows, smoldering couches, gutted cars,  5-10 guys stand at corner, not a cop in sight ). But I am sure there are some places I should avoid here. And I don't want to stupidly end up in one (Brixton maybe? But I know that only because of the Clash song). . What are the dodgy neighborhood names I have to worry about, where I might end up punting? 

Lol Brixton is probably one of the safest parts of London now it's very gentrified. Every area has its good and bad parts i would personally avoid Harlesden, late at night and possibly Clapton  :hi:

Offline peter purves

I am from the US and over have spent maybe 4 months of my life in London spread over about 20 visits. I have just started punting (like an idiot, I didn't know it was a thing here. I thought I had to go to Amsterdam or Thailand). But  Other than a bit of time at a hotel on the East side next to a methodone clinic, I don't think I have seen or been in a "dodgy neighborhood". But maybe I have and don't know how they read? Maybe they look different to what I am used to (Baltimore, Bronx, Philly ...lots of boarded up windows, smoldering couches, gutted cars,  5-10 guys stand at corner, not a cop in sight ). But I am sure there are some places I should avoid here. And I don't want to stupidly end up in one (Brixton maybe? But I know that only because of the Clash song). . What are the dodgy neighborhood names I have to worry about, where Punting occurs?  I will say, of the 6 UK punts so far, the neighborhoods seemed absolutely safe, nice, and really upscale.

Would you like to say what those 6 areas are since it may give a good idea of what kind of area to recommend?

Being born and bred in London tbh not really afraid to go anywhere

Cheers!!
Banned reason: Can't / won't take advice.
Banned by: daviemac

Offline Georgejetson

Being born and bred in London tbh not really afraid to go anywhere

Wow. If that is the consensus view I will be happy. Don't try that in NY! Not as bad as when I was a kid, but there are many places at night in NY  you would want to know about, and not go there with 200 in your pocket and a hard on. Ditto  Chicago, LA, etc. Detroit is easier to just memorize the two places that ARE safe and know that the other 23 neighborhoods are not. But then we are an unfree people....no legal punting  :dash:
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 01:33:58 am by Georgejetson »

Offline peter purves

Wow. If that is the consensus view I will be happy. Don't try that in NY! Not as bad as when I was a kid, but there are many places at night you would want to know about, and not go there with 200 in your pocket and a hard on. And Chicago, LA, etc. Detroit is easier to just know the two places that ARE safe and know the other 23 neighborhoods are not. But then we are an unfree people....no legal punting  :dash:

:D

I should add that not everyone will share my view and hence why I asked you the question about what were the areas you've been and felt comfortable with??

So many factors to take on board like will you punt in the day or night, will you be going to a house or a council estate etc etc??

You can see the stereotypes or thought formations gathering and increasing accordingly:(

My mate who is from NYC suggest if you can 'live' with the US inner cities then London ones should not be a problem

« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 01:45:30 am by peter purves »

Offline Georgejetson

Pete,
So far Kensington, Knightsbridge, Paddington, Ealing Broadway (twice), Chelsea , Bayswater. All were zero risk, and as safe as safe can be.

Offline peter purves

Pete,
So far Kensington, Knightsbridge, Paddington, Ealing Broadway (twice), Chelsea , Bayswater. All were zero risk, and as safe as safe can be.

So you've been punting in what can best described as the well to do areas.

Other such areas using AW as my criteria can include City of London as in Liverpool St, Hammersmith & Fulham

Offline londonbloke

Like Peter above I'm a Londoner born and bred and I concur with his view that there are no particular geographical areas that I'd describe as hotspots. I would however urge common sense and caution of the 'type' of area; I wouldn't be happy to travel into a maze-like estate which I didn't have prior knowledge of after dark for instance.

No, I'm not a snob, just a realist :-)

Offline Steely Dan

Anything can happen.  But this is a safe country.  In Chicago last year there were 762 homicides.  In the entire UK there were 574. Let's not even talk about Detroit and Baltimore. Or East LA.  Or St Louis. Or....

It is so much safer here, that the question doesn't make sense.  It is safe, legal and you have UKP to guide you.  Go get fucking.

Offline Malvolio

I'd suggest you steer clear of council estates after dark - but these can be found in most areas.  Once you get the postcode from the WG, take a look at the area on Google streetview.

Offline aae

Anything can happen.  But this is a safe country.  In Chicago last year there were 762 homicides.  In the entire UK there were 574. Let's not even talk about Detroit and Baltimore. Or East LA.  Or St Louis. Or....

It is so much safer here, that the question doesn't make sense.  It is safe, legal and you have UKP to guide you.  Go get fucking.

I concur — it is a very safe country indeed on two fronts. My point of comparison: moved to Canada this year on a short term assignment.

First, as quoted above, very few violent (break-your-bone/bullet-in-your-head crimes) as compared to the States. Much less of a problem in Canada but the Old Bill in Trumpland is armed to the teeth and it is no secret where they practice their shooting skills. Add to it the (mostly) illegal nature of most punting enterprises, you have to worry about the street pimps and the uniformed ones.

Second, golly, is Canada barren or what? You end up paying $ 500+ for a half decent SP.

Enjoy the Blighty while you are there. Most punting areas (with very few exceptions) would be generally way above average in terms of safety if you are a Yank.

This Limey can not wait to get back home (horizontal rains notwithstanding).

Offline Georgejetson

I'd suggest you steer clear of council estates after dark
Malvolio, How will I know I am going to a "Council estate"? Google? Or are they always named as such? I will say, so far I would be happy to live in any of the neighborhoods I have seen. And as a punter I get to see neighborhoods no typical tourist goes to (Yes, I am talking to you Ealing Broadway). And when I get blown off some day, I will not be too mad since I will think, "well, at least I got to see Felmsford Crossing".

Offline Brazilian Martian

Malvolio, How will I know I am going to a "Council estate"? Google? Or are they always named as such? I will say, so far I would be happy to live in any of the neighborhoods I have seen. And as a punter I get to see neighborhoods no typical tourist goes to (Yes, I am talking to you Ealing Broadway). And when I get blown off some day, I will not be too mad since I will think, "well, at least I got to see Felmsford Crossing".

This is a london council estate

Hidden Image/Members Only

Offline Georgejetson

So I will know it when I see it, a large block of low income housing in the Soviet, East German soul crushing style. If at night,  stay out. Thanks BM.

Offline tantric talents

TBF girls and or their pimps usually try to find a location close to a main line or underground station.
These days in most of London, anywhere close to a station is usually becoming better heeled so I wouldn't be too worried.
Stick with ukp recommendations and you won't go far wrong  :hi:

Offline pewpewpew

So I will know it when I see it, a large block of low income housing in the Soviet, East German soul crushing style. If at night,  stay out. Thanks BM.
That's it. Low income housing blocks. Avoid. Anywhere else is fair game for me. But your Kensington Chelsea Paddington areas are quite posh places so you'll get less council estates there to worry about. But you can get stabbed at night anywhere so really have to use your brain. If it looks dodgy, it might well be

Offline Mr Farkyhars

How will I know I am going to a "Council estate"?

I believe the US synonym is 'projects'.

Offline peter purves

If you looking for something more 'empirical'

Revealed: London's worst areas for knife crime

External Link/Members Only

and

Revealed: London's new violent crime hotspots

External Link/Members Only
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 12:49:26 am by peter purves »

Offline webpunter

IMO west is best.  I try & avoid north-east, east & south-east London.  Shit areas with generally crappier burds.  Deffo a no-go after dark in some of these places.  Any self-respecting pro$$ie will base herself accordingly.  Gets slightly better in NE / E & SE London as you move closer to the M25