Sugar Babies
Shemales

Author Topic: "Slaw"  (Read 823 times)

Offline Demus63

I've noticed a recent trend of "Coleslaw" being called "Slaw" and it's getting to me. On a recent jaunt in London I see these wonderfully scribed blackboards with the menu of the day which includes "Slaw". Come on please stop trying to reinvent the wheel kids, chopped cabbage + is the constituent ingredients. Renaming it "Slaw" is a sneaky way of me paying £6.50 for a side which historically would of came complimentary with the main.

Offline standardpostage

Just another abbreviation I think  :unknown:

It's part of deflation, where you get less, for the same money  :)

Not so keen on it myself, tends to be left on the plate.

Give me chips, any day of the week  :)

Offline Adoniron

Another example of the creeping Americanisation of our language.

Offline Ali Katt

• Forum Moderator
  • Reviews: 28
I think slaw contains no mayo. Could be wrong though.

Offline Ali Katt

• Forum Moderator
Not really creeping people were using words like dude, cool, rad etc in the 80s.

Offline Demus63

It may well be minus the mayo I agree and organic to boot but it's just trying to hard and overpriced. Oh while I'm at it it's likely to be served by some trendy type that'll say "Congrats" 🤨

Offline Adoniron

Not really creeping people were using words like dude, cool, rad etc in the 80s.

Its creeping  because its an ongoing process.

Offline Blackpool Rock

I think slaw contains no mayo. Could be wrong though.
Looking on the interweb it appears to be the same shit  :thumbsdown:  :vomit:

Offline daviemac

• Forum Moderator
  • Reviews: 24
Looking on the interweb it appears to be the same shit  :thumbsdown:  :vomit:
It is, like has been mentioned it's just yet another Americanism, people must think it's 'cool' to copy the crap the yanks com out with.

"Can I get" is another one, no you can't, it's "can I have" the person who works there 'get's' it, the customer can have it once the assistant has got it.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2022, 08:49:23 pm by daviemac »

Offline chrishornx

and how long has our language been going ?

Offline ulstersubbie

It is, like has been mentioned it's just yet another Americanism, people must think it's 'cool' to copy the crap the yaks com out with.

Been ongoing since the 50's, the days of Elvis Presley and Buddy Holly but we had Cliff Richard Yankee boys!   :lol:

Offline FLYING BLUE

It is, like has been mentioned it's just yet another Americanism, people must think it's 'cool' to copy the crap the yaks com out with.

"Can I get" is another one, no you can't, it's "can I have" the person who works there 'get's' it, the customer can have it once the assistant has got it.

Why the anti American sentiment?
I've never heard a Yak speak.
Do we simply assume that all members on this forum are British (as I recently stated elsewhere when another poster pointed out my use of the term 'cell phone')
Surprised at you DM

Offline Adoniron

Do we simply assume that all members on this forum are British (as I recently stated elsewhere when another poster pointed out my use of the term 'cell phone')
Surprised at you DM

Why is it anti-American to comment on the influence of their culture on our language?

Offline FLYING BLUE

Why is it anti-American to comment on the influence of their culture on our language?

! - I was responding to DM (as clearly quoted) - not you
2 - crap the yaks com out with. - goes without saying really
3 - The English language is made up of several 'original' languages including French - it's hardly "our language"
4 - It's not as if it's the Americans who force Brit's to adopt their idioms - it's individual (mainly younger) people who choose to talk like that
5 - you have your own opinion - we can agree to differ
« Last Edit: November 24, 2022, 08:46:13 pm by FLYING BLUE »

Offline daviemac

• Forum Moderator
  • Reviews: 24
Surprised at you DM
I've corrected my post just for you.   :hi:

Nothing anti American at all just the terminology they use suits them where it doesn't necessarily suit the English. You mention the use of 'cell phone' for what we call a 'mobile', that along with the likes of faucet for tap or trunk for car boot are just different names for the same thing and have nothing to do with the grammatical error I mentioned. American English - can I get  . . .  English English - can I have . . .

NB
I am only referring to the English people I have heard saying that not those not native to this country and use a different version of English or where English is their second language.

Offline JD69

I've noticed a recent trend of "Coleslaw" being called "Slaw" and it's getting to me. On a recent jaunt in London I see these wonderfully scribed blackboards with the menu of the day which includes "Slaw". Come on please stop trying to reinvent the wheel kids, chopped cabbage + is the constituent ingredients. Renaming it "Slaw" is a sneaky way of me paying £6.50 for a side which historically would of came complimentary with the main.

To be honest, renaming something is nowhere near as annoying as people using 'would of' instead of 'would have'.

Offline Corus Boy

Merch anyone?

Bonus Stars on merch & at home coffee tomorrow.

Offline Adoniron

To be honest, renaming something is nowhere near as annoying as people using 'would of' instead of 'would have'.

My pet hate is people saying "been" instead of "being".

Offline Blackpool Rock

Merch anyone?

Bonus Stars on merch & at home coffee tomorrow.
WTF is "Merch"  :unknown:

Offline Ali Katt

• Forum Moderator
It is, like has been mentioned it's just yet another Americanism, people must think it's 'cool' to copy the crap the yanks com out with.

Surely it's "please may I have"

Offline Ali Katt

• Forum Moderator
Been ongoing since the 50's, the days of Elvis Presley and Buddy Holly but we had Cliff Richard Yankee boys!   :lol:
TBF Cliff Richard could have gone down the rock n roll route had he not found God through his manager who I think was one of those evangelical types. He also has a really shady past with groupies.

Offline Stevelondon

TBF Cliff Richard could have gone down the rock n roll route had he not found God through his manager who I think was one of those evangelical types. He also has a really shady past with groupies.

Shady in that Cliff never fucked any of them  :lol:

Offline FLYING BLUE

A final point - with tongue firmly in cheek  :hi:

The "English" language has changed and evolved over many years, to become what it is today.

We may not like the influences that come from North America but it's natural evolution - I detest the way in which the verb/adverb 'Like' is now inserted, often more than once, into every single line spoken by the younger generation - completely ludicrous & ignorant in my mind.

Not like ;)

In Shakespear's time we would have been saying words like 'prithee' 'thee' 'thy' thou' & 'forsooth' - these and many others replaced over the years by the natural course of events.
Cheers
FB

Offline FLYING BLUE

It should be, however, the phrase "may I have"  is another example of how English has changed, albeit it a much more modern change & is now pretty much redundant.
Replaced with "can I have" or, the much worse "can I get" (as DM says), the latter being used by the younger generation - a phrase taken directly from North America.

Offline Corus Boy

It should be, however, the phrase "may I have"  is another example of how English has changed, albeit it a much more modern change & is now pretty much redundant.
Replaced with "can I have" or, the much worse "can I get" (as DM says), the latter being used by the younger generation - a phrase taken directly from North America.

+1

Offline Bertiebeenthere

One thing I've noticed is shop assistants when you go to the counter they ask "are you alright there?", I usually answer, "I'm fine thank you, how are you?", it quite often leaves them flummoxed.

Offline FLYING BLUE

One thing I've noticed is shop assistants when you go to the counter they ask "are you alright there?", I usually answer, "I'm fine thank you, how are you?", it quite often leaves them flummoxed.

Now there's a good word :D

Offline chrishornx

coleslaw, as you rightly suggest, is a cabbage based raw salad based around types of cabbage and other sliced vegetables , ordinarily with a mayonnaise dressing. There are many other similar styled salads often with beansprouts mange-tout broccoli, water chestnut,  spring onion, peppers that has no cabbage or mayo and is known as 'slaw' so they are two different things

go to a Thai or vietnam restaurant and get 'Slaw' and there doesn't need to be a hint of Mayo or cabbage which specifically exists in coleslaw there could easily be  vinaigrette dressing and taste completely different to what is commonly known as coleslaw

Offline chrishornx

coleslaw and slaw originated in Holland in the 18th century well before it popped in fast food America

Offline chrishornx

'Please may I have' is far more politer than 'Can i get'

in the end neither is totally wrong 

Offline Corus Boy

A little teaser for the weekend?

Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde uinervtisy, it deosn’t mttaer waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteres are at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a tatol mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.

Offline Blackpool Rock

Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at Cmabrigde uinervtisy, it deosn’t mttaer waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteres are at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a tatol mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe.
Fcuk me yuor rhgit  :hi:

Offline mr.bluesky

I guess that's how a dyslexic sees it  :unknown: