Sugar Babies
Shemales

Author Topic: Harder than ever to keep up with who is and isn’t dead  (Read 913 times)

Offline NIK

You know you’re getting old when so many people you remember from your youth are dropping like flies.
I am finding it increasingly difficult to keep up with who is dead and who is still alive.
This was brought home to me a few minutes ago when I just discovered that former football manager Tommy Docherty has died.
I genuinely thought he had passed away years ago.

I wasn’t a great fan of ‘The Doc’ back in the day as I thought, rather like Ron Atkinson, he achieved less than his publicity would suggest, but for the reason given above his death has shocked me.

Similarly, I only learnt of the death of ex Bonzo Dog and Ruttles musician Neil Innes a couple of weeks ago when I heard an advert for a tribute programme. He passed away Dec 2019.

At this rate I won’t know when I’ve snuffed it!   :D

Offline ulstersubbie

Tommy doc was a character, his quips about football chairmen were legendary. Not a great manager, but his Man Utd teams were entertaining.

Offline willie loman

didnt realise he was that old, seem to have heard him on "off the ball" not that long ago.

Offline Wadebridge

Even when he wasn't jawing football baloney, his jaws were always moving.
His mouth seemed to be perpetually chewing gum. 
Banned reason: Posting on politics again despite previous 7 day ban.
Banned by: daviemac

Offline mr.bluesky

Tommy doc was a character, his quips about football chairmen were legendary. Not a great manager, but his Man Utd teams were entertaining.

I remember way reading way back then about how he was sacked from the Man Utd managers job for having an affair with the clubs physio's wife. Not sacked for footballing reasons. I don't think he returned to football management after that.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 07:31:12 pm by mr.bluesky »

Offline Gordon Bennett

I've had the idea for years for an app based game based on this very theme. However, I've been too lazy to pursue it plus I don't know anything about creating an app. So fuck it, I'm gonna put it out there and let someone else get rich...

It's called Dead or Alive? and is simply a series of cards/images that appear and you have to say if they're dead or alive. Get it right and you move into next one, get it wrong and you're out. All about building a run of correct answers. It sounds crap but there was some brainless app game a few years ago that went viral that was just identifying words/sayings from a pictorial image...... these seemingless simplistic game-things can definitely fly for a few weeks.

I remember coming up with at least 50 names I thought were good but I reckon with Google and Wiki you could easily come up with hundreds. Just this New Years Honours list made me think fucking hell, is Jimmy Greaves really still alive? It'd be a great game I think.

Offline Blackpool Rock

I've had the idea for years for an app based game based on this very theme. However, I've been too lazy to pursue it plus I don't know anything about creating an app. So fuck it, I'm gonna put it out there and let someone else get rich...

It's called Dead or Alive? and is simply a series of cards/images that appear and you have to say if they're dead or alive. Get it right and you move into next one, get it wrong and you're out. All about building a run of correct answers. It sounds crap but there was some brainless app game a few years ago that went viral that was just identifying words/sayings from a pictorial image...... these seemingless simplistic game-things can definitely fly for a few weeks.

I remember coming up with at least 50 names I thought were good but I reckon with Google and Wiki you could easily come up with hundreds. Just this New Years Honours list made me think fucking hell, is Jimmy Greaves really still alive? It'd be a great game I think.
There used to be a game on the radio about 35 years ago which asked this question, sorry but Simon Salad Cream beat you to it  :D
I do agree though it could still be resurrected as an app and do OK
External Link/Members Only

Offline NIK

I think he's on his last legs since the stroke he had a while back. Expect that's why they gave him the honour.

As for Doc for such a high profile manager his honours record is shite.

One FA Cup win with Utd, promotion from Second Division with them, and a league cup with Chelsea.

Managers such as Ferguson and Paisley won more in one season.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2021, 08:22:54 pm by NIK »

Offline Blackpool Rock

Even when he wasn't jawing football baloney, his jaws were always moving.
His mouth seemed to be perpetually chewing gum.
I always said the same about Fergie as he was constantly chewing gum, I always joked it must have been Willy Wonka "Everlasting" gum as I never once saw him get rid of a piece or put a new piece in

Offline george r

Tommy doc was a very good age, not many get past 90 ,although Alan Bradley ex Corry has also died today and the same age

Offline NIK

Tommy doc was a very good age, not many get past 90 ,although Alan Bradley ex Corry has also died today and the same age

I thought he was already dead too!

Maybe we all are? Maybe none of us are really here? Maybe Covid is just a nightmare?

Offline george r

I thought he was already dead too!

Maybe we all are? Maybe none of us are really here? Maybe Covid is just a nightmare?

I thought he was dead to be honest !!

Offline Londonpunter30

I find it easy keeping track of who isn’t dead  :sarcastic:

News moves so quick these days it’s easy to miss who has died.

We play celebrity dead pool at work, there’s probably an app for it somewhere

Offline Thephoenix

As I read daily reports of celebs, sports stars or even friends kicking the bucket, I think momentarily that I might be getting nearer to the top of the list.
However as you only die one day of your life, there's no point in thinking about it every other day.
Mind you, I'd ideally not be there when it happens.
Maybe I'm carrying on regardless just to save funeral expenses.

As Michael Caine said in a TV interview recently, when asked how he felt about growing old, his reply was, ' Well it's better than the alternative isn't it?'

Offline The Film Director

I was even more surprised when I learned that Greavesie was still alive.  :unknown: :scare:

Offline mr.bluesky

I was even more surprised when I learned that Greavesie was still alive.  :unknown: :scare:

Watched an interview the other day with Clint Eastwood.  He's getting on a bit now. I guess when you watch films or old tv shows you're seeing them as they were and forget as the years go by they get older like everyone else. Over christmas watched an old episode of the Morecambe and Wise  show. Sad to think that everyone who was on it are now dead. Morecambe and Wise, Diana Rigg , Des O'Connor, Robin Day
« Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 09:09:47 am by mr.bluesky »

Offline Wadebridge

I always said the same about Fergie as he was constantly chewing gum, I always joked it must have been Willy Wonka "Everlasting" gum as I never once saw him get rid of a piece or put a new piece in
:D :D :D
Absolutely Yes.
Like Tommy Doc, "The Hairdryer" was also famous for it.
Not a very pleasant trait I have to say.
It made both men appear 'uncouth' in my eyes (with apologies to any members on here who idolised either man).

Offline mr.bluesky

I find it easy keeping track of who isn’t dead  :sarcastic:

News moves so quick these days it’s easy to miss who has died.

We play celebrity dead pool at work, there’s probably an app for it somewhere

That fine upstanding newspaper  :crazy: the "Sunday Sport" have a sweepstake page every so often containing a list of ageing sportsmen and celebrities

Offline Wadebridge

Just this New Years Honours list made me think fucking hell, is Jimmy Greaves really still alive?
I used to admire the way Jimmy Grieves used to successfully wind up, with monotonous regularity, his sidekick pundit Ian Saint John, sitting on the sofa opposite him.
For example, at the end of an important international game for Scotland, maybe a qualifier, or maybe the tournament itself, he'd quip,

(Shaking his head) Grievsie: "At the end of the day Saint, it's just another sad day for Scottish football".

Saint:   "grrr :angry: :angry: grrr .... Grievsie .... grrr grrr  :angry: :angry: Grievsie .... grrr  :angry: :angry: grrr grrr  :angry: :angry: grrr".

Offline Wadebridge

That fine upstanding newspaper  :crazy: the "Sunday Sport" have a sweepstake page every so often containing a list of ageing sportsmen and celebrities
:D :D :D
It used to feature a lot of bare breasts in it.
Wasn't there a number in a square box on its front page every edition?
I remember on one copy I thumbed through the boxed number read 32.
That was the edition's 'nipple count' apparently.

Offline Doc Holliday

Likewise. Given his medical history it is nothing short of miraculous.. although he is far from well.

Offline NIK

I used to admire the way Jimmy Grieves used to successfully wind up, with monotonous regularity, his sidekick pundit Ian Saint John, sitting on the sofa opposite him.
For example, at the end of an important international game for Scotland, maybe a qualifier, or maybe the tournament itself, he'd quip,

(Shaking his head) Grievsie: "At the end of the day Saint, it's just another sad day for Scottish football".

Saint:   "grrr :angry: :angry: grrr .... Grievsie .... grrr grrr  :angry: :angry: Grievsie .... grrr  :angry: :angry: grrr grrr  :angry: :angry: grrr".

Greavsie was a great character on that show and very amusing. Never cared much for the Saint though.

Offline Thephoenix

Greavsie was a great character on that show and very amusing. Never cared much for the Saint though.

He wasn't great as a pundit but I think he unwittingly acted as a bit of a straight man for Jimmy who always had a twinkle in his eye and looked for any opportunity to wind The Saint up.

As a player he's still revered in Liverpool (where he still lives aged 82.)

StJohn and Ron Yeats were the first players bought by Bill Shankly when Liverpool were still in the 2nd Division, and their performances were instrumental in the team gaining promotion to the 1st Division.

I read recently that he too is very ill with cancer.

Offline NIK

He wasn't great as a pundit but I think he unwittingly acted as a bit of a straight man for Jimmy who always had a twinkle in his eye and looked for any opportunity to wind The Saint up.

As a player he's still revered in Liverpool (where he still lives aged 82.)

StJohn and Ron Yeats were the first players bought by Bill Shankly when Liverpool were still in the 2nd Division, and their performances were instrumental in the team gaining promotion to the 1st Division.

I read recently that he too is very ill with cancer.

Did he wear a wig though?

Offline wearegreat

Just on the BBC that Gerry Marsden has passed away at the age of 78 years old.
You'll never walk alone.
Banned reason: Multiple Profiles - James, James021, Londontiger, wearegreat
Banned by: CoolTiger

Offline NIK

You'll never walk alone.

Bloody hell, there goes another one.
I believe he had a serious illness  (heart or something) some years ago from which he evidently recovered.

I suppose we shouldn’t be surprised at all these deaths given their ages.
It’s just that as many are only a few years older than me, and in some cases no older and even younger, that their passing have so much more resonance for me than the deaths of many of the Hollywood greats which tended to happen when I was much younger.
John Wayne passing when I was about 20 didn’t faze me, but Rick Mayall’s sudden death who was the same age as me most certainly did!

« Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 06:57:30 pm by NIK »

Offline wearegreat

Bloody hell, there goes another one.
I believe he had a serious illness  (heart or something) some years ago from which he evidently recovered.

I suppose we shouldn’t be surprised at all these deaths given their ages.
It’s just that as many are only a few years older than me, and in some cases no older and even younger, that their passing have so much more resonance for me than the deaths of many of the Hollywood greats which tended to happen when I was much younger.
John Wayne passing when I was about 20 didn’t faze me, but Rick Mayall’s sudden death who was the same age as me most certainly did!

John Wayne passed in 1979 when I was 23 years old.
Do you remember the song -
"John Wayne is Big Leggy "by Hazi Fantayzee.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2021, 08:04:10 pm by wearegreat »
Banned reason: Multiple Profiles - James, James021, Londontiger, wearegreat
Banned by: CoolTiger

Offline Thephoenix

You'll never walk alone.
That's really sad.....an old favourite in my Cavern days, and still performed locally until he became ill.
A Liverpool lad that never really changed.

He never moved away from Merseyside, and was married to Pauline for 55 years. R.I.P.

Offline smiths

Watched an interview the other day with Clint Eastwood.  He's getting on a bit now. I guess when you watch films or old tv shows you're seeing them as they were and forget as the years go by they get older like everyone else. Over christmas watched an old episode of the Morecambe and Wise  show. Sad to think that everyone who was on it are now dead. Morecambe and Wise, Diana Rigg , Des O'Connor, Robin Day

Yes Clint is 90 but still starring, directing and producing films or he was late last year. For years and years I was sure the Frankie Goes To Hollywood singer Holly Johnson had died of AIDS years before, he hadn't as I found out when I saw him in a cameo on Benidorm.

Offline george r

the other day they said tanya roberts had died ? now the papers says she hasnt ?

must be a publicity stunt ?  fit as fuck in her day  :thumbsup:

Offline george r

the other day they said tanya roberts had died ? now the papers says she hasnt ?

must be a publicity stunt ?  fit as fuck in her day  :thumbsup:

its saying now she has died ?

Offline mr.bluesky

Offline suttonporksword

I think he's on his last legs since the stroke he had a while back. Expect that's why they gave him the honour.

As for Doc for such a high profile manager his honours record is shite.

One FA Cup win with Utd, promotion from Second Division with them, and a league cup with Chelsea.

Managers such as Ferguson and Paisley won more in one season.

That may be factually true but the doc had built what could have been a great team. He was sacked for an affair with a.woman he then married and was with until he died. Unfortunately the team he was building with Pearson, hill, coppell and Co was pretty much dismantled by the pragmatist dave Sexton.  I think the docs team would have won titles if he had continued what he started but we will never know

Offline catweazle

And so it continues.....RIP Colin Bell.

Offline Strawberry

• Service Provider
Spotted this article yesterday about Tanya Roberts Bond woman, a Charlie's Angel;

Offline Blackpool Rock

Spotted this article yesterday about Tanya Roberts Bond woman, a Charlie's Angel;

Post 30; 31 and 32  :unknown:

Offline king tarzan

Diego Maradona death RIP saddened me..
Great player the best
Banned reason: Misogynist who gets free bookings from agencies for pos reviews.