Sugar Babies
Shemales

Author Topic: Unlikely sporting victories  (Read 535 times)

Offline Blackpool Rock

We do tend to like an underdog winning in this country (unless it's your team that gets turned over)

Most of the ones that come to my mind are football victories and there are numerous other FA cup tales of giant killing but what other unlikely heroes do people remember  :unknown:

Leicester City winning the Premier league in 2016, they were something like 500/1 at the start of the season

Denmark winning the 1992 Euros, especially remarkable as they didn't even qualify but got their place in the finals after Yugoslavia were kicked out and only had a week to pull the squad together. I remember in the latter stages they played Holland and Germany so by no means easy and I also recall their team were carrying a lot of injuries, seemed like other teams kicked the fuck out of them
External Link/Members Only

Must be something about the Euros as Greece won it in 2004 playing the most boring defensive shit style of football imaginable then often nicking 1-0 wins, a 150/1 runner at the start

Must admit i'm not a massive snooker fan but I do remember Joe Johnson from back in 1986 when snooker was big on TV beating Steve Davis to become World Champion, he seemed to have a couple of good years then faded away again
External Link/Members Only)

Muhammad Ali Vs George Foreman in 1974 "The rumble in the Jungle", Ali knew he couldn't beat Foreman using conventional fight techniques so instead invented the "Rope a dope" tactic which saw Foreman pummel Ali but tire himself out after a few round so that Ali could pick him off, Ali won that fight by using his head months before it actually happened

The film "When we were kings" is still on the BBC i player in the "Storyville" series, well worth another watch

Offline IAMBATMAN

Leicester City winning the Premier league in 2016, they were something like 500/1 at the start of the season
5000/1 at the start of the season since they only just survived relegation the season prior. For me it's the 1999 treble for united but I might be biased  :D

Offline j_181

They didn't pull it off in the end, but Middlesboro's run to the 2006 UEFA Cup final is one that comes to mind. They lost the first legs of all four of their knockout games, then came back to either win on away goals or outright. Amazing comebacks against Basel and Bucharest too after falling further behind in the second legs.

Great team that was, Viduka and Hasselbaink in their primes, Stewart Downing before he flopped at Liverpool, and one Gareth Southgate at centre-back.

Offline Wadebridge

Going back a fair few years now ...
But one that springs to mind was Sunderland's 1-0 victory over Leeds United to lift the 1973 FA Cup.
External Link/Members Only.
I always remember Sunderland goalie Jimmy Montgomery's heroic efforts to keep the Leeds strikers attempts at bay.
One in particular was described as a world class save, up there in Gordon Banks and Peter Shilton territory.
Leeds were top premiership flight at the time (1st division) and Sunderland were lowly 2nd division.
Banned reason: Posting on politics again despite previous 7 day ban.
Banned by: daviemac

Offline Blackpool Rock

5000/1 at the start of the season since they only just survived relegation the season prior. For me it's the 1999 treble for united but I might be biased  :D
See I don't think the Utd treble was a massive shock as given their dominance back in the late 90's you expected them to win at least something or do a double most seasons.
I'd agree that coming back from one down to win it so late in the game was a great fightback but before kick off they must have been at least 50/50 to win it  :unknown:

So as a Utd fan how do you compare the Utd treble and comeback in the final to two of the greatest Liverpool comebacks  :unknown:

2005 European cup final and 3-0 down at half time, I remember thinking at half time it was a damage limitation exercise for Liverpool and how they hung on through extra time to win on penalties is still mind blowing

Then there is 2018 in the Euro semis and again 3-0 down against the mighty Barca and Messi who basically did fuck all in the return to Anfield where Liverpool went on to win 4-0 before winning the final that year, impressive

Offline WelshMichael

One from across the Atlantic, "The Miracle on Ice" from the 1980 Winter Olympics. A team of college kids beat the mighty Soviet Union in the mens ice hockey final. The Soviets were considered unbeatable and had won 5 of the last 6 ice hockey gold medals. It also took place at the height of the cold war:

Offline Blackpool Rock

One from across the Atlantic, "The Miracle on Ice" from the 1980 Winter Olympics. A team of college kids beat the mighty Soviet Union in the mens ice hockey final. The Soviets were considered unbeatable and had won 5 of the last 6 ice hockey gold medals. It also took place at the height of the cold war:

Weren't the Soviet ice hockey team also known as "The Big Red machine" such was their reputation

Offline IAMBATMAN

See I don't think the Utd treble was a massive shock as given their dominance back in the late 90's you expected them to win at least something or do a double most seasons.
I'd agree that coming back from one down to win it so late in the game was a great fightback but before kick off they must have been at least 50/50 to win it  :unknown:

So as a Utd fan how do you compare the Utd treble and comeback in the final to two of the greatest Liverpool comebacks  :unknown:

2005 European cup final and 3-0 down at half time, I remember thinking at half time it was a damage limitation exercise for Liverpool and how they hung on through extra time to win on penalties is still mind blowing

Then there is 2018 in the Euro semis and again 3-0 down against the mighty Barca and Messi who basically did fuck all in the return to Anfield where Liverpool went on to win 4-0 before winning the final that year, impressive
I have to say winning the big three is no easy task no matter how well your teams performing or the odds of you winning, only takes 1 bit of bad luck to fuck it all up.
I would of included those Liverpool wins if I weren't a united fan lol but in all honestly they were pretty fucking epic. I think the win against barca 4-0 after losing the first leg 3-0 was probably more impressive than Istanbul but it wasn't actually unexpected. Literally everyone I knew was saying the same thing if anyone can pull it off it would be Liverpool. They just have a habit of doing ridiculous things in Europe we've seen it many times over the decades.

Offline Goldfinch

Leicester City Winning the premier league was special.

But Buster Douglas beating Mike Tyson on Feb 11 1990 lives long in the memory.

Offline Londonpunter30

1954 World Cup Final.  Hungary were unbeaten since 52, Germany had barely played international football since the war ,and had already lost 8-3 to Hungary in the group stages .

Despite some dodgy refereeing decisions they still won the game, there were also rumours of doping, although that practice wasn’t illegal at the time

Online mr.bluesky

The FA cup is full of historical giant killing teams. Who could forget Ronnie Radfords goal for Hereford Utd in 1972 knocking out Newcastle utd or non league Sutton United knocking Coventry city out of the FA cup. Thats why the FA cup is still a great tournament as it lets the so called smaller or non league teams the opportunity to cause an upset.

Offline stevedave

England coming back from the dead to beat Australia at Headingley in 1981.

Wimbledon beating Liverpool in the 1988 FA Cup final.

Online mr.bluesky

England coming back from the dead to beat Australia at Headingley in 1981.

Wimbledon beating Liverpool in the 1988 FA Cup final.

Wasn't it John Motson who said it was the crazy gang beating the culture club.

Offline B4bcock

Today.

England rugby team made to look very average and borderline incompetent by a young, inexperienced but well-disciplined and gutsy french side, but managed to steal it in extra time.  Almost felt embarrassed to win.

Online mr.bluesky

Today.

England rugby team made to look very average and borderline incompetent by a young, inexperienced but well-disciplined and gutsy french side, but managed to steal it in extra time.  Almost felt embarrassed to win.

Yes they played their get out of jail card today. Farrell kicked the winning penalty but his kicking was off today by his own standards. I'm not convinced Eddie Jones is the man to lead us to glory come the next world cup in France in 3 years time

Offline smiths

For me a great achievement was Nottingham Forest winning the European Cup 2 years in a row, Clough and Taylor had built a very good team.

Offline binbag

Anyone seen "Losers" on Netflix? About the other end of sport, the people who don't win amazing victories. Interesting series.

Offline Blackpool Rock

For me a great achievement was Nottingham Forest winning the European Cup 2 years in a row, Clough and Taylor had built a very good team.
Clough had a few stand out players such as Shilton but i've previously heard that a lot of them were classed as over the hill or out of favour with other clubs / managers for one reason or another.
Given that he'd managed Leeds (briefly  :rolleyes:) before going to Forest he did a great job in building them from a mid table 2nd tier club to gain promotion then win the top flight and Europe all in only a few years in charge

Offline martini2429

• Temp ban until
    27/02/24 @ 16:24
  • Reviews: 0
Wasn't it John Motson who said it was the crazy gang beating the culture club.

It was indeed

:drinks:

Offline golden bull

Amen 🙏 2005 champions league final I remember going nuts in the flat when they came back to 3-3.
4-0 win against the mighty Barcelona... couldn’t predict that in a thousand years💪🏻.

Online mr.bluesky

Sergio Perez this aft.

It's incredible to think that no team has signed him up for next season too.  :unknown:

Offline binbag

But one that springs to mind was Sunderland's 1-0 victory over Leeds United to lift the 1973 FA Cup.

Manager Bob Stokoe running on to the pitch at full time is one of the great sporting memories and images I have. And I'm not even a Sunderland fan! It was so delightful to see that arrogant Leeds team lose to the gutsy and spirited Sunderland players.

Offline chrishornx

Offline Londonpunter30

It's incredible to think that no team has signed him up for next season too.  :unknown:

Only chance seems to be red bull.  Despite the money behind him, seems to be out of favour every where

Offline george r

man city winning the title a few yrs ago , they were losing and scored twice in the last minute or so of time added on, Utd were playing at same time you could see the utd fans faces change when city scored twice  :thumbsup:   

Offline ulstersubbie

Their best player was John Robertson, Clough called him a scruffy bastard but what a sweet left foot. He scored the winner in 1980.

Offline martini2429

• Temp ban until
    27/02/24 @ 16:24
  • Reviews: 0
man city winning the title a few yrs ago , they were losing and scored twice in the last minute or so of time added on, Utd were playing at same time you could see the utd fans faces change when city scored twice  :thumbsup:

As Man City went into injury time, all the Man Utd players were still on the pitch as their game had ended having beaten Sunderland 1-0, they were waiting to be crowned Champions as City were losing 2-1 and then the unthinkable happened and the rest as they say is history

:drinks: