Sugar Babies
Shemales

Author Topic: Windows 10 Screen Shot horror..  (Read 3927 times)

SUMO61

I use my personal business laptop with Windows 10 for my punting hobby. Totally password protected, no one else has access, don't use Facebook on it blah blah. I keep it as sterile as possible. No Twitter, no LinkedIn.  Browse InPrivate etc..

The only thing I have linked on it is my business Outlook 365 mail/ calendar to iCloud, so I can view my business appointments from my iPhone to Outlook.

So, using the mousepad the other day to view UKP, the screen did a little flash. Thought no more of it.  Today, when looking for a file on my One Drive I noticed a photograph of the UKP site.  I had taken a screen shot without realising, with me fully logged in, to the page I was viewing!

Checked my iCloud photo library on all the household Apple devices, it hadn't transferred over, thank fuck...

I've noticed when I use the mousepad on the laptop it can change functions, if you catch the edge or move your finger in a certain direction. Scary stuff..

Anyway, I've disabled this Screenshot function now, but be warned fellow punters. I try so hard to be careful, but you have to watch this technology..

Offline Malvolio

I sincerely hope that's not a laptop your employer has given you.  My Adultwork web activity takes place on one device that stays in my home at all times.

Offline maxxblue

Anyway, I've disabled this Screenshot function now, but be warned fellow punters. I try so hard to be careful, but you have to watch this technology..

How do you disable screenshot function, please?

Offline Zeusthedoc

How do you disable screenshot function, please?

Depends on the device - as I understand it phones (android, apple, or windows mobile) don't allow you to switch off screen shot feature. But they will display a notification instantly if you do screenshot.

SUMO61

Depends on the device - as I understand it phones (android, apple, or windows mobile) don't allow you to switch off screen shot feature. But they will display a notification instantly if you do screenshot.

I disabled the function that saves the screenshot picture to One Drive. Find the One Drive cloud symbol in the little box on the bottom taskbar ( where you'd find the wi-fi symbol, battery level etc)

Right click on the cloud symbol, go to Settings, go to Auto Save, then disable camera from saving pictures to One Drive.

Offline maxxblue

Thanks SUMO61 and dopebeats.  :thumbsup:

Offline Gordon Bennett

I am pretty easy going about "punting security" and don't bother with a separate punting phone or such !ike. BUT..... I would never ever let punting come within a million miles of my business or employment IT equipment. Conducting business and punting activity on the same device is wilfully asking for a shitstorm to blow up in your face one day.

Offline Plan R

I strongly recommend not using your computer's installed operating system [be it windows, apple OS, or Linux] for this hobby.. the risk are many, varied and obscure, even for the tech literate.

Apologies for the long post, and I know this won't be for everyone but here goes..

There is a very good alternative to the minefield of windows/apple operating systems (I've recommended it on these hallowed pages before) - You use a 'Live Linux Distribution'

WTF is that ??

Linux is an operating system, like windows or AppleOS, but its free.
There are hundreds of versions of linux, each version is known as a 'Distribution'

Now a 'Live' distribution of Linux is one that runs entirely in RAM.
That means the whole operating system [os] (including browser) only exists for as long as your computer is switched on

As a matter of fact I am online, writing this from within a 'live booted session'. This applies to all my time spent on UKPunting or AW - be it reading, posting, reviews etc and compiling all my AW hotlists too.

The advantage are;
As soon as you switch the power off the os disappears entirely.
While it is on it never interacts with your computers hard drive. In fact, with one of these you could use an old laptop that had NO HARD DRIVE and it would still work.

Anyway - to achieve a 'live booted session' you need;
(a) to have a live distribution on a usb stick
(b) have your computer set to 'boot from usb device'
(c) to plug the usb stick into a usb port on your pc/laptop/netbook
(d) switch the computer on and watch it 'boot up' into a 'live' operating system (that only exists till you switch off)

There are many you tube videos showing how to make a live distribution.
But if IT is not your thing then these videos will be a right pain

Fortunately if you google 'buy a linux mint usb' it will take you to a well known online auction site where they can be purchassed for 4.99
I recommended linux mint because its a very nice usable distribution

(by the way - more big business servers run linux than windows these days) 

:drinks:

SUMO61

I am pretty easy going about "punting security" and don't bother with a separate punting phone or such !ike. BUT..... I would never ever let punting come within a million miles of my business or employment IT equipment. Conducting business and punting activity on the same device is wilfully asking for a shitstorm to blow up in your face one day.

Normally i'd agree totally, but i'm the boss of me, a freelance.  So, it's just a personal laptop, owned by me and operated only by me.

Offline Gordon Bennett

Normally i'd agree totally, but i'm the boss of me, a freelance.  So, it's just a personal laptop, owned by me and operated only by me.

Fair do's but even then I'd be cautious. A brainfart or some fat-fingered input causing a message or content to get misdirected to a client by mistake could cause reputational damage. Just feels a lot safer and prudent to compartmentalise and quarantine punting activity but having never really been self-employed I can't really say..... Sounds like you're pretty sorted - just be wary😋

poseidon

If you don't want your employer knowing about your punting, simply never use any work laptop or mobile for punting. Many organisations will probably install tracking, remote control, or other surveillence type software on their equipment for 'security and data protection' reasons.

Also if you use any Office 365, Google, Apple, Facebook etc accounts at work, they are probably recording your activity (e.g. Google saves your searches/youtube views under your account) as you browse the internet.

Offline wheeliebinwanking

Good note of caution

I use a isolated pc and a vpn not for punting but it helps. I however noticed that Dropbox will save a screenshot to the cloud! Almost caught me out one time

I have also downloaded some pictures to desktop and forgot about them. A USB OS version of Linux sounds good but a a bit too fiddly for now but worth considering

WBW

Offline Zeusthedoc

Mac users can login as guest and it wipes everything at logout.