Sugar Babies
Shemales

Author Topic: Instagram on punting phone showing me people I know IRL  (Read 1801 times)

Offline fudi_maar

With the recent Apetrain thread (https://www.ukpunting.com/index.php?topic=165277.0) our online privacy has been brought to the fore.

I have a punting phone, and the only apps I installed (other than the standard ones which came pre-installed) are Tinder, Wattsapp, SA and Instagram. No Facebook, no FB Messenger. I have never been on Twitter.

I installed Insta in Aug to help me background check some SA girls - sure enough, after installing the app, it checked all my contacts and showed the ones who were registered on Insta. Bingo! I could see many of the girls on there. However, since then Insta is now also showing me people who I know in my real life. On this phone, ALL my contacts are girls from SA, plus my own real phone number. No others. I have never called, texted, emailed or messaged from this phone to any of my friends. I have though, texted my real phone from here. The email I logon to from this phone is used for Insta, Tinder and SA only.

How on earth is Insta getting my friends to show on this app? How does it recognise the link between us?
(I do not have a single photo on there, and use a totally fake name, so they won't be able to recognise me.)

Offline stampjones

Guessing friend of friend? Your punt phone is linked to you real phone which links to your friends. To offer suggestions for friends it goes to all of your (punt phone) contacts contacts. It is probably also suggesting friends of your SA girls - you just wouldnt know it. Thats how linkedin works so instagram is probably the same
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 10:46:37 am by stampjones »

Offline Anadin

By having your phone number on your punting phone somehow you have probably linked the phones. What permissions does Instagram ask for? cause I'm betting if it knows your phone number and is allowed to view your contacts that's how it's happened.

I always look at the permissions apps ask for although I usually just let them have access.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 11:01:14 am by Anadin »

Offline fudi_maar

Thanks guys for the replies. I have disabled all options on the Instagram 'push' settings, and email settings etc.
Will remove my own (proper) phone number as a contact from my punting phone.
My Insta profile is set to 'Private' as well, so no one can see anything at all (also cos I have nothing on there to see).

Also, just realised that Insta is owned by Facebook too.

Offline CoolTiger

• Forum Moderator
  • Reviews: 10
Whatsapp is also owned by Facebook.

Offline Zeusthedoc

phone number
login locations
friends of friends
gps tracking / location history
cookies to tracker browser history
whatsapp/insta both owned by facebook

take your pick, plus who knows how many others?!
no way to hide it my friend - hope you haven't uploaded any pics yourself?!

Jessica English

Guessing friend of friend? Your punt phone is linked to you real phone which links to your friends. To offer suggestions for friends it goes to all of your (punt phone) contacts contacts. It is probably also suggesting friends of your SA girls - you just wouldnt know it. Thats how linkedin works so instagram is probably the same
it’s because you’re using your WiFi most likely.

faggins

All this online linking malarkey is making me nostalgic for the old days of ads in the Sunday Sport and phone boxes...