Sugar Babies
Shemales

Author Topic: Life in the 1990s  (Read 1972 times)

Offline Watts.E.Dunn

But you don't know that though do you  :unknown:

I had TV's back in the 90's old cabinet box things which were apparently good makes / brands at the time and they packed up after a few years, Sony and Panasonic

Transisitors and solid state devices were in use then but the display was a CRT and that did loose "emission" and the picture  faded in various ways.

A new Tube was exepnsive so re-gunned ones, thats the gun that generates the electrons that fly towards the screen to light up the phospers behind the shadowmask, were cheaper but they never looked as good. Then the flat screen came in but they wern't wothout problems, was up the tip before Xmas saw quite a few there. Most have faults in their power unts not a big job but these days hardley any TV repair shops exist .. so they go to landfill..

Like a lot rof other domestic white goods and the like..

Offline mr.bluesky

What ever happened to 3D televisions. A few years ago they seemed to be the next big thing. Sky sports even televised some football games in 3D. Just didn't catch on it seems . Did anyone here actually own one  :unknown:

Offline sparkus

To go back to OP's point, what we're losing sight of is the zeitgeist here.

1980s - greed is good, cocaine, shoulder pads, page 3 tits, adding a conservatory onto the back of your right to buy house (or alternatively indie music, gloomy clubs and cider and black with some big-titted goth bird)
1990s - Men Behaving Badly, Britpop, even more cocaine, Jo Guest, Loaded, untucked bright shirts, Air Max
2020s - gentrification, work from home, hipster pubs serving craft ale, overshirts worn by creatives, #metoo (and Air Max)

Offline Blackpool Rock

What ever happened to 3D televisions. A few years ago they seemed to be the next big thing. Sky sports even televised some football games in 3D. Just didn't catch on it seems . Did anyone here actually own one  :unknown:
My mate had one, great for watching Footy and really realistic  :thumbsup:
Went round his to watch a game and it was Man Utd but I fell asleep due to Fergie's monotonous whinging at the officials, when I woke up at full time someone had nicked my wallet  :D  :hi:

Offline king tarzan

My mate had one, great for watching Footy and really realistic  :thumbsup:
Went round his to watch a game and it was Man Utd but I fell asleep due to Fergie's monotonous whinging at the officials, when I woke up at full time someone had nicked my wallet  :D  :hi:

Super great manager super great team

Simply the better than all the rest ( even across the globe)
Banned reason: Misogynist who gets free bookings from agencies for pos reviews.
Banned by: daviemac

Offline GingerNuts

You're living on past glories.

Offline mr.bluesky

I think Barca, Bayern Munich and Real Madrid might have something to say about that

Offline King Nuts

To go back to OP's point, what we're losing sight of is the zeitgeist here.

1980s - greed is good, cocaine, shoulder pads, page 3 tits, adding a conservatory onto the back of your right to buy house (or alternatively indie music, gloomy clubs and cider and black with some big-titted goth bird)
1990s - Men Behaving Badly, Britpop, even more cocaine, Jo Guest, Loaded, untucked bright shirts, Air Max
2020s - gentrification, work from home, hipster pubs serving craft ale, overshirts worn by creatives, #metoo (and Air Max)

And don't forget the other great 90s, zeitgeisty phenomenon, the Male Vertical Volume Drinker, or MVVD for short.

Beloved of publicans, because they'd drink premium beers right out of the bottle, so no need for glassware, and they'd always stand up, taking up very little space and not using any of the furniture.

Offline sparkus

And don't forget the other great 90s, zeitgeisty phenomenon, the Male Vertical Volume Drinker, or MVVD for short.

Beloved of publicans, because they'd drink premium beers right out of the bottle, so no need for glassware, and they'd always stand up, taking up very little space and not using any of the furniture.

Remember it well, stood in packs in their untucked canary yellow and lime green shirts, quaffing Bud and Becks to shite chart house music.

I've not been to any kind of theme or amusement park in two decades now but I remember from back then that if you stood in the hut where the photos were collected from you'd always be guaranteed to see on the screens several pairs of chebs being flashed on a rollercoaster.  No doubt no longer permissable in these #woke times.  Where did we lose our way as a society?

Offline Ali Katt

• Forum Moderator
  • Reviews: 28
I think with anything we look back and ignore the bad aspects. Because it was such a major event look at who was in power for most of it. I think what younger people forget with all the orange man bad, Tory Toffs, elitists etc is more people turned up to protest the war(s) in the middle east than Trump winning the election or even the Covid marches.

With culture as I've said stuff like Pulp Fiction, Silence Of The Lambs, Fargo, Unforgiven, even films like Batman Returns and True Lies took what had gone before it and repackaged it with meaning for a new audience. As I've said before I rarely watch new films as they are like a bad pastiche of better films.

In the 90s there was a lot of shit, No Doubt. The music was fast and camp, most likely due to a lot of gay musicians and producers making music. What we have now is stuff like Adele, Ed Sheeran, Emile Sande - where it is dreary shit Radio 3 would have rejected twenty years ago for being too boring.

It does feel like money stretches further, but no doubt some things are much cheaper - computers (an entry level laptop was about £1000 in 1995), basic clothing (T-shirts for £3 on the high street), new technology like streaming £5.99 a month watch as much you like, I remember paying £2.99 to rent a new film for the weekend at Blockbuster. A lot of aspects no doubt worse nearly a million for a one bed flat in parts of London, food seems to cost more and the quality might be worse.

That's all just trivia though. To me it feels like there is less cohesion as everyone gets classed as belonging to a tribe whether that be a gamer, emo, trans. With social media we are fed the myth of free choice and that everyone's opinion is equally valid. I think the Woke thing is a myth designed to rile people up on both sides, most people don't care how many Black actors are on a drama series or whether a company has a carbon emission policy.

Offline lillythesavage

Remember it well, stood in packs in their untucked canary yellow and lime green shirts, quaffing Bud and Becks to shite chart house music.

I've not been to any kind of theme or amusement park in two decades now but I remember from back then that if you stood in the hut where the photos were collected from you'd always be guaranteed to see on the screens several pairs of chebs being flashed on a rollercoaster.  No doubt no longer permissable in these #woke times.  Where did we lose our way as a society?

Yellow and Green were not the shirt of choice while bashing bottles of Becks in Wanstead, it would clash with our cars :D, Bright pinks, purples and reds, sometimes blues.

Offline sparkus

Yellow and Green were not the shirt of choice while bashing bottles of Becks in Wanstead, it would clash with our cars :D, Bright pinks, purples and reds, sometimes blues.

Every punt I've had in Wanstead (all three) has been with an African bird, given your stated proclivities on here I'm sensing a connection...

Offline Murray Mint

As a late-40s baby boomer, I certainly enjoyed the late-60s. Well, it led to my deflowering!! But I've been retired 20 years and, notwithstanding Covid, they've been the best of my life by far.

Offline GreyDave

:hi: Soho Walk Ups in the 90`s were amazing girls from all around the world started to replace the hardened Northern Lasses on their Inter-City away day train tickets and at 10 to 15 quid a pop and 50p or 1 pound tip for maid It was great the opertunity to do several in a day some times was there to as jobs were well paid for me and flexible time scales :hi:

Offline lillythesavage

Every punt I've had in Wanstead (all three) has been with an African bird, given your stated proclivities on here I'm sensing a connection...

Not seen the African one in Wanstead, was it recently?

You are right though, have a thing for them   :D

Offline sparkus

Not seen the African one in Wanstead, was it recently?

You are right though, have a thing for them   :D

All a whlle back (just had a look and there's zero doing there now).  It's confusing as it shares the same postcode as Leytonstone, so you initially think the WG will be closer.  Even worse, one was in Alderbrook, which is nowhere near any station or buses (since schlepped there again for a big heavy pair).

Offline lillythesavage

All a whlle back (just had a look and there's zero doing there now).  It's confusing as it shares the same postcode as Leytonstone, so you initially think the WG will be closer.  Even worse, one was in Alderbrook, which is nowhere near any station or buses (since schlepped there again for a big heavy pair).

Aldersbrook lol, my misspent youth was shagging all over Aldersbrook, the park, the flats, in the car,  and in countless houses, was a good hunting ground from mid 70,s.

Manor Park was good too, a far cry from the filthy shite hole it is now, seen cleaner streets in India  :D.

Offline Ali Katt

• Forum Moderator

Lager was also stronger then. Stella is 4.6% back then 5.2.

Offline sparkus

Lager was also stronger then. Stella is 4.6% back then 5.2.

It was also "Reassuringly expensive" back then too.
'Cigarettes and Alcohol' sleeve of Oasis had them and entourage drinking it.

Offline starman

For someone like me, born in the 1950s, I have come round to thinking that the 1990s was the best decade so far.

The internet only caught on half way through that decade. No smart phones or social media. Everything had eased up after all the economic ups and downs of the 70s and 80s. Travel had started to open up with the rise of the low-cost airlines. Check in at Heathrow T1 was 10 minutes with hand baggage, and there was only a cursory security check.

Coffee shops sprang up everywhere. Eating out got a lot better, at least in London. Didn't seem to have as many stabbings. TV and films were yet to be infected with wokeism. And in punting land, 50 quid still got you a decent 'go'.

The Cold War seemed to have gone away, and eastern Europe and Russia started their transformation to capitalism.

Life just seemed easier. And I think we were a lot freer.

And now we have shit to deal with these days that would've seemed unimaginable thirty years ago, all of which makes me think we've gone backwards since then.

Spot on!  :thumbsup:

Offline Red_baron1

90's was great. Racism seemed to die down compared to the 80's which was awful as a school kid.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2022, 12:52:41 pm by Red_baron1 »

Offline hornypunter

The future seemed to look brighter in the 90's after the end of the Thatcher era. I also liked the music that was coming across from mainland Europe. Hard to beat a bit of Scooter with the volume turned up, still producing great songs and videos, Fuck 2020 springs to mind.

Offline Marmalade

And in punting land, 50 quid still got you a decent 'go'.
A tenner more like. Then I discovered there was more quality and quantity abroad at half the price.

And I think we were a lot freer.
Less regulations, less terrorists, less people, less caring what anybody else thought.
The future looked bright.

all he said was '60's was best for music not as an overall great decade
Well it was. Without being a music wonk I think a fair case can be made for the degree of ‘knowing how to put a song together’, melody, harmonies, as well as experimental trends.

The 2020s could be the most radical decade of change since the 60s.

Offline Ali Katt

• Forum Moderator
A tenner more like. Then I discovered there was more quality and quantity abroad at half the price.
 Less regulations, less terrorists, less people, less caring what anybody else thought.
The future looked bright.
Well it was. Without being a music wonk I think a fair case can be made for the degree of ‘knowing how to put a song together’, melody, harmonies, as well as experimental trends.

The 2020s could be the most radical decade of change since the 60s.
I'm not saying you are wrong as we don't know, but a lot of stuff in the last few years seems to be referencing things from the 90s, you can see it in media: anniversary editions of music, people born in the 2000s wearing crap clothing like Naf Naf, shit tracksuits etc, reissue of videogames like Mario 64, films set in the early 90s.

People's mood also seem sanitised. In the 80s people were rightly furious, same in the 70s, in the 60s you had the birth of teenager in the late 50s and people rebelling against their parents which seemed to be the catalyst for mods, rockers, punks, hippies. It feels like generation prozac. People aren't going to change the world sitting at home smoking weed and talking about their tattoos on YouTube.

Offline Marmalade

I'm not saying you are wrong as we don't know, but a lot of stuff in the last few years seems to be referencing things from the 90s, you can see it in media: anniversary editions of music, people born in the 2000s wearing crap clothing like Naf Naf, shit tracksuits etc, reissue of videogames like Mario 64, films set in the early 90s.
and I’m not disagreeing with you. Those who grew up in the nineties are very active now. The 90s is their reference point.
People's mood also seem sanitised. In the 80s people were rightly furious, same in the 70s, in the 60s you had the birth of teenager in the late 50s and people rebelling against their parents which seemed to be the catalyst for mods, rockers, punks, hippies. It feels like generation prozac. People aren't going to change the world sitting at home smoking weed and talking about their tattoos on YouTube.
the sixties was a generation of people, many indeed smoking weed, who did indeed think the world was changing for the better. Free love (the pill), extravagant LP sleeves, nonconformity, a glorification of science and hope. Only to be shattered soon afterwards by a return to fundamentalism, the AIDS scare, and the realisation that the rest of the world was not going to embrace the love-and-peace hippie dream. Smoking weed became  more surreptitious, people got off their backsides to earn enough for more lasting pleasures. Punk came afterwards. The ones that refused the change back to inconsequentialism. The dream became interiorised. Trance music became the drop out norm and more dangerous drugs like ecstacy replaced the innocuous but more visible pot-smoking miasma. In music there was an awareness that the big record companies were not god. But things shifted to cassette tapes and then the anonymous looking CDs and finally we get digital where the face of every piece of music is no more than pixels on an iPhone screen.