Sugar Babies
Shemales

Author Topic: iPhones and email addresses  (Read 1583 times)

petite_kav

So I use an iPhone, and notice that when potential clients text I can see their real name/email address, which I presume is their icloud address or apple account ID if they too have an apple device.

Why does this happen? And Should I let them know? Because I don't want to spook them into cancelling.

And please, to those who think I am fake, or a 40 year old street walker or a black man, just wait a couple of weeks to build up my feedback before questioning my authenticity; just help me out with this technical issue.

edit: and yes I now have a cheap second number but this is for bookings made earlier
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 11:51:52 am by petite_kav »

petite_kav

I'll let the two in question know, so they don't repeat the mistake. I suppose its up to them to fix the issue.

LL

It's because they're sending you iMessages rather than texts. If punters use an iPhone to contact WGs they should either create an new Apple ID using a false name or else set their iPhone to send standard SMS text messages as opposed to iMessages.

Aspen

That's a good alert.

I only ever use a phone dedicated for the purpose, and then only phone calls and SMS. But it just goes to show how technology can leak information you'd rather it didn't. Good of a WG to point it out too. First I've seen unprompted.

SirFrank

My personal phone is an iPhone but I don't use it for punting. iMessage to iMessage will reveal personal email details if you set your iMessage account accordingly. Mine is set to reveal your number only (not your email). Check your own iMessage settings, if you haven't already, and don't mix up your personal details with your punting ones

Offline Dani

• Service Provider
When using imessage it can be set to show just your number or email address or both or more email addresses if you have them.  Unfortunately many people don't read the manual when buying a new gadget so don't realise what their settings are.  I have text many back telling them to change their settings as they have sent me their private email address by mistake when imessaging me.  Most don't seem bothered by it at all even when I explain how easy it would be for the wrong person to find out all their details as well as family members and how easy it would be to either blackmail them or just out them.  A few, mainly those under a certain age, will change their details immediately but the majority, who tend to be older gentlemen, just don't seem to care at all and have the 'it wont happen to me attitude'.  I guess because it has not happened before they assume it will never happen but it was never as easy to get someones details as it is now with the new phones linking all your details together as well as things like facebook linking phone numbers and email addresses to profiles when you update your phone

Offline Taggart

That's good advice Dani - telling a bloke to RTFM  :lol:
As if we do....?

My spare iphone is not set up for email or what's app, facebook or anything else, and has iPhone999 in the user name, plus has a blank contacts book, and so far just mobile numbers have appeared.

Offline randydandy2013

So I use an iPhone, and notice that when potential clients text I can see their real name/email address, which I presume is their icloud address or apple account ID if they too have an apple device.

Why does this happen? And Should I let them know? Because I don't want to spook them into cancelling.

And please, to those who think I am fake, or a 40 year old street walker or a black man, just wait a couple of weeks to build up my feedback before questioning my authenticity; just help me out with this technical issue.

edit: and yes I now have a cheap second number but this is for bookings made earlier
Thanks for the tip, settings now changed to show my number only for iMessages  :thumbsup:

Offline Qwerty

Well I thought I'd made sure of this a while back, but on seeing this thread, thought I'd double-check, and can't find the relevant settings.

Anyone care to enlighten me?

Offline OakTree

Settings- messages- send & receive. Untick any email addresses. If you want you can remove the email address.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 04:07:28 pm by OakTree »

Offline Zeusthedoc

Fucking props love! good to see that there are some WGs out there who do want to keep this activity under wraps so to speak!

Offline Qwerty

Thanks for that, and thanks petite_kav for raising the subject

petite_kav

I let the two men in question know, and one who is an older gentleman didn't mind, but the other was very surprised that this happened and was happy I told him. He has since changed his settings.

I want the gentlemen I see to have a safe, fun, anonymous meeting. It benefits both parties in the long run.

Offline Marmalade

You mean iPhones are coming with manuals now?  :coolgirl:

I think iMessage is off by default, but as I'm using an old rooted piece of clobber that might not be the case for everyone.

Great thread, and important stuff to be aware of.

Offline OakTree

The trouble with modern phones, messaging and social networks is that your security and details are leaking out everywhere. Just when you think you've plugged one leak another one is pissing out your info. It really is a minefield. If you're not tech savvy then punting with a smart phone is a disaster waiting to happen.

greychap

I think you already have let them know  :)

Offline Marmalade

The trouble with modern phones, messaging and social networks is that your security and details are leaking out everywhere. Just when you think you've plugged one leak another one is pissing out your info. It really is a minefield. If you're not tech savvy then punting with a smart phone is a disaster waiting to happen.

Actually security leaking is far in excess of what you probably suspect. You need to keep your phone in a metal bag even when it's switched off, never use credit cards, smartcards, or any social networking sites, stick to a cast-iron web-browser that takes most of the fun out of browsing, and all that on top of VPN, firewalls, and non-U.S.-standard encryption.

It's not about how un-private your activities are but about what data you want to protect, from whom, and how bad the consequences would be if it was public. Yes, you have to answer the last question because otherwise you will either get totally paranoid or just go to completely unnecessary and extreme lengths.

People who have been on this site for a long time are probably savvy to avoid the potentially more dangerous prostitutes but still take sensible precautions as a second nature. If and when you want to live more dangerously, then you increase your level of protection (there are places I've been to where I wouldn't wear a new-looking pair of trainers much less carry a phone.) Remember getting "caught" by your wife, your girlfriend, the newspapers, an unscrupulous prossie, the police, or the government are all entirely different categories. You wife might read mumsnet for tips on catching you shagging anyone else and you lose your kids and family. Your girlfriend might suspect and dump you or forgive you. If the newspapers get your picture, you might lose some mates that don't punt (or want their wives to think they disapprove). If you fuck off a psycho-bitch techie-prossie, you might just get blacklisted or else all of the above, depending on her expertise or your vulnerability. If the police catch you it still might depend on the local area (some fuckwit boroughs are happy to make your name public if they can get a lead from the police, whether technically you actually committed an offence or not). If you are in a high-profile job that embarrasses the government (it can be as innocuous as Greenpeace) or in a government position where others more well-connected have it in for you, then realise that outing you for sexual indiscretions is a prize to certain other people and you are a sitting duck unless you more careful than Prince Harry wrapped in Teflon.

Offline Marmalade

In terms of arranging a punt untraceably, obviously in person is generally safest (as in, walking into sauna), not many people use it in the uk, but voip (Internet voice phone call) is, I understand, slightly better that landlines and mobiles, especially if both parties are using it, Skype is supposed to better than other voips as it's encrypted (they say), at least assuming there are no backdoors on the computer you use for recording the conversation.

In practice, most prossies require you to carry a phone for incalls so they can tell you the address after you have left home. The simplest security might just be to add a password lock to your phone if you are not in the habit of locking it generally. The wife might be your biggest concern, but even if you use a disposable phone for punting, a vicious prossie or pimp could still get your previously called numbers and do some damage to your hobby. Deleting info from a sim card usually just hides it, not deletes it. Plug the thing into a computer and the data can be recovered with data recovery programs. Your wife is not likely to go to that trouble as it's expensive or too much hassle, but organised crime just might.

If you do use a smartphone, one risk is just costs (a cheap one is easier to replace). iPhones used to be more secure than Androids but I read that new measures are making them more even. Having lots of apps like shitware games (and not updating the firmware) increases the percentage risk ,not of automatic monitoring by security services since they don't need that sort of help, but it increases the chance of a criminal finding your deleted 'data' (hacking sites and usenet groups monitor that stuff as eagerly as we monitor prossie info).

I'm just saying it's like safe sex. The risks are different for everyone and each person should work out what they are individually. The biggest newbie mistake I think is still giving away too much personal information on forums.